The SAKKI-SAKKI Tarot is up in AT!

M-Press

Hi there!
So, I finally put what I call my "lucky six" up at AT:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/sakki-sakki/

and I had PROMISED to me, that when that happened I would need to tell some stuff about it, because I'm really bad in sharing my everyday stuff. Well, i really have no time, and I'm a Scorpio , and If I never thought of myself as secretive, well, now I do... So No more excuses!

I completed my deck recently, after 3 years of work on it.
It follows the RWS, but has astrology and Kaballah in it as well.
My first two decks were the Aquarian and Thoth. I've been using The Aquarian ever since till now, and i think I've been influenced by it a lot, style wise, or for example, the names of the suits. i use RODS and not Wands, since i really can't pronounce "Wands" well...Something around the "W" goes wrong. So, Rods for me!
i have also been influenced a lot by the Thoth, but from a different perspective. The reason I started making my own deck was the Thoth, which i find incredibly beautiful (that's why i bought it right then!), but also incredibly haunting, and for years I had it without being able to look at it. If you'll see mine, you'll know exactly why I found it haunting!

The only name I changed in the Majors is Judgment into "The Angel". I wanted something more universal, and not specific to one religion. Everybody connects with Angels, and I saw another old Italian deck had that, so...
I had problems with the Hierophant name too, but the way I changed his looks, made me feel he can keep his name!

I started writing the companion book last week, and it's very hard. I'm not a professional writer, but all the papers i had to do for my MA, brought me to the point to believe that I can actually do it. I hate writing because i can't talk on the phone when I write! and i feel guilty sitting in front of the screen reading threads and not writing... It's killing me...

The book will be from an artist's point of view, creative process, very personal and all that. I really can't say I'm a tarot guru, so I'll say I'm an artist! everyone will believe that!

The truth is that I have problems with readings. For one, i don't practice enough, and it happens that i only read for myself, which is really not the best way to grow as a reader. I drive myself crazy with that... Unfortunately, i just don't have time... I did once a reading for someone in AT, and it took me forever to write it all. When i'll finish my book, I PROMISED myself to stop being "a shoe maker with no shoes"!

I decided to write the book now for a couple of reasons...
First of all, it will make a more complete product...and there are somethings, that only I can tell, and nobody else...ALTHOUGH, while writing, i do feel, that if someone else wrote a book on my deck, it wouldn't be less interesting, but now I'm stuck with it.
Then I will feel as if I can withdraw for a while. It's been very intense. I want to close this chapter, and move on. If I ever do another deck, it will be completely different, and that will take a while too. It's as if i need to release it, for it to sink in for me. And I'll have time for readings...

My "boss" is calling me now...more on the cards later... ;-)

Sulis

M-Press, I really like your cards. They look as though they could be read quite intuitively. I've just had a quick look at your site but couldn't find any tarot deck there. Is there anywhere we can see all of the cards?

Love and light

Sulis xx

baba-prague

M-Press said:
Hi there!
So, I finally put what I call my "lucky six" up at AT:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/sakki-sakki/

(snip)
I started writing the companion book last week, and it's very hard. I'm not a professional writer, but all the papers i had to do for my MA, brought me to the point to believe that I can actually do it. I hate writing because i can't talk on the phone when I write! and i feel guilty sitting in front of the screen reading threads and not writing... It's killing me...
(snip)
The truth is that I have problems with readings. For one, i don't practice enough, and it happens that i only read for myself, which is really not the best way to grow as a reader.

Congratulations! It looks great when you can see all six cards together like this - well done. It's lovely, fun work, but also looks very professional :) Nice!

So - just to also wish you luck on the book. I am similarly struggling (though I'm about 80% there now) so I know how it is. I find these days I have to design the book at the same time - I actually need to be able to see how it will all look and fit together. This slows things down though as I am not quick with page make-up!

Readings? I honestly think that reading teaches you a huge amount about designing cards. I'll give you an example. Last week I read for a friend who has a choice between two options to do with finding a partner (not a choice between two women, but something more subtle - he thinks he is going about the search in a whole wrong way and may need to think differently). The cards I got as the possible outcomes were (ToP of course) the Nine of Pentacles and the Five. Now I had never before realised that they show the same woman in fact. Once I saw them in this reading, I realised that they have the same head-ress, face, everything... So I interpreted the reading in this way. It gave me a whole new insight into the particularly images we chose for those two cards (there were other coincidences as well in fact - do you know the Russian for "kingfisher" means "born in the winter" - and there is a kingfisher on the Nine of Pentacles, and a young baby - covered in snow - on the Five? - anyway, the oddities go on, but I'll stop there - it was a VERY long and revealing reading).
But the point is, it's only with reading that you begin to see the possibilities in the images you create. I really do think it makes a huge difference to the depth of any deck you design.
Anyway - that's just my reaction - to encourage you to read. It doesn't have to be a lot (I read quite infrequently, but it tends to be intense when I do). But do get into the swing of it. I'm absolutely sure you'll find it useful. I bet you will be a good reader too!

Anyway, all best wishes with it. I look forward to seeing more.

Mimers

M-Press,

I am so impressed! Your deck looks beautiful. Good luck getting through the book. I really appreciate the fact that you, the artist, is taking the time to write it. It makes a world of difference! Let me know when it is published! I want one.

Congratulations!

Mimi

M-Press

Hi there!

Thank you all for the encouraging words!

Well, regarding selling the deck, I'm not sure yet who the publisher will be, but if i won't have a contract in the next couple of months, the deck will be published in the Summer, by M-Press, if you know what I mean.... I'll put up soon a pre-order page in my site, to know how many people are interested....

I only have a FEW CARDS UP, for a couple of reasons. One is i want to license them for other products than cards, and i can not keep the rights legaly if I publish them online before I register them.
Then, I was selling my art for 2 years now, as "art", and since it's digital, it wouldn't be fair to my customers that now everyone can dowload and print. I sold numbered copies.
Although I also like sites that have all the cards (as a creator especially), I choose whether to buy a deck or not online, from a couple of cards alone. I also like the surprise, to get cards never seen before.
When they'll be ready to be published i will recinsider that. I have been thinking about it for a while?but this is where I'm with it now.

Regarding the READINGS baba-i agree with you. The only reading I do now with my own deck, are my chackra spreads, and i use Major only for those. I used to read a couple of years ago more, and I have a journal of them all. I've learned the cards over a decade from my daily spreads. What you said made me again feeling wondrous, becasaue it's amazing how many NEW things we discover in our OWN art, that we were not aware before! I find that I put in symbols that I was not aware I did. actually this is what the book writing helps me find out. I also did a self-art history, and found elements that I use now, in stuff I did years ago, with no deck in mind. Amazing. I was into all sorts of cards long before I knew it.

btw baba-what software you use for the book? I just bought In-Design, and I'm happy with it. I got the whole Adobe-Creative suite actually (for Mac)...It WAS time! I reccomend.

Jen

WOW! I really like your cards! I love the colors and style of art. You can sign me up for a pre-order!

Imagemaker

Your designs and colors are gorgeous! I especially like the headless woman on the 8 of P--rich potential for meaning there!

I look forward to buying your deck.

Cerulean

Hello

Of course I'm impressed with the color, activity and abstraction.

Is one of the cards depicting someone with only a neck, no head and a magic wand? I'm probably bad at reading the abstraction.

Probably I am not naming your right influences, but does Picasso and Matisse have any stylistic resemblance to your work?

Mari H.

M-Press

Headless

he..he...
I was planning to bring this up later, but now we got there, and I'm tempted!
The magic wand in the 8 of Pentacles, is a needle-the crafwoman's tool. On the other hand she hold scissors?she's a fashion designer/maker!
and Yeap, no head!
Most of my minor arcana is headless! The funny thing is how some times poeple don't even notice...
and yes, this has lots of potential for meaning... and for different kind of reactions... The truth is in th eyes of the beholder!

Will let you cook it, while i go write about it ;)

Regarding influences: many people see Picasso, Matisse, Klimt, but really I love and probably am influenced from all the colorists out there...David Hockney (my fave), Niki de St Phalle (did tarot too-I ador her!), Kirshner, De-Kooning... But I must say, that when creating, i have none of these on my mind consciously, I just use my digital library...

snuffy

wow, LOVE the deck. so colorful, yet not obnoxious-- that's quite a feat :)

it's beautiful, definately one to add to the wish list!