The SAKKI-SAKKI Tarot is up in AT!

blue_fusion

really cool cards. has that jazzy look to them. actually, they remind me of the wall images in a local starbucks here near my school (former school since i grad already). hope ya have them published soon :D

M-Press

Hi!
Thanks for the feedback...(shy smile).

The pub-date will be set soon, I think it will be after I finish writing the book, and that is not sure how long will take!
I just really feel it's a "must" to have them together. There will be some really cool stuff there. My plan is to do readings with my real cards all summer...;) Let's hope I will get there...

I would like to ask you something regarding the issue if DESCRIPTIONS.
In any Tarot book there seems to be a cisual scanning/sescription, then an analysis of the symbolism, and then the meaning of the card.

I feel that for this deck I shouldn't do any descriptions. There are just too many things there that if I explain them, I'll kill them. Not to mention my creative process which makes sure half of the things I don't see myself!
Some I really want to talk about and some not... I'm amazed whih what interesting views people come up when you don't give them the whole story...

Anybody has a strong say on this?
(mild is good too...) :)

blue_fusion

well, in my opinion, don't give them all out and spoonfeed everything to the new owners of yer cards. just give enough to tickle their imagination, and itll go on from there. :)

baba-prague

M-Press said:
Hi!
I feel that for this deck I shouldn't do any descriptions. There are just too many things there that if I explain them, I'll kill them.

I don't think you have to do descriptions. In one way they can be very superfluous - it depends on the deck. I'd concentrate on talking about what each card means to you - as well as (possibly) giving the more "standard" meanings. The latter are really for the people for whom this is a first deck - they need something a little more conventional to begin with I think, otherwise it can be bewildering. Mind-you, if you don't think you'll have many "first-time tarot" buyers, then just go with the flow.
I look forward to reading it!

- you've seen the Lo Scarabeo thread on all this I think? It's useful because it does give some clear information about what people really want from a companion book.

_______
just editing to add. We may be talking at cross-purposes about descriptions. What I mean is, you don't have to say "this shows a tailoress with no head" - or anything like that - that WOULD perhaps kill it! But talking about what the images means in your terms - and something about why you did it the way you did, I think that's what I'd enjoy reading - and I think many others too.
They are great images - we want to hear more!

Mimers

M-Press said:
I would like to ask you something regarding the issue if DESCRIPTIONS.
In any Tarot book there seems to be a cisual scanning/sescription, then an analysis of the symbolism, and then the meaning of the card.

I feel that for this deck I shouldn't do any descriptions. There are just too many things there that if I explain them, I'll kill them. Not to mention my creative process which makes sure half of the things I don't see myself!
Some I really want to talk about and some not... I'm amazed whih what interesting views people come up when you don't give them the whole story...

Anybody has a strong say on this?
(mild is good too...) :)

When I buy a deck, I love reading about why the artist used the symbolism they did, and what it means to them. You don't have to include everything in each card. Just the predominate ones. A brief summerary of the card, what it means and then a discription of what the different symbols represent.

I am looking forward to this deck! Good luck.

Mimi

M-Press

Oh, thanks blue_fushion, and baba for your input! You strengthen my inclination.
The book will definitely have "first-time" standard meanings, and those will be as close to the RWS, but combining my own experiences. Whatever else I add, will be on top of that. Everyone that surrounds me , knows nothing about the tarot (or are interested), so i really need to start low, to at least let them a little bit into my world... Thank G most of them are creative, so they'll make something of it...

I built the outline for the book based on that, as well as on what i have to offer as an artist?my path through this creation. I hope it will be intersting. For now I try to at least entertain myself. I'm AMAZED of the stuff that I discover and so glad i started doing this writing part. It's a whole new journey. It really gives another perspective to the art...
I will have a whole section called 'Playing with Symbols" which will describe some of the symbols in detail-looking wide at the whole deck. That's my favorite part! (Mimi-i promise I won't let you down!)

baba-I plan to include your TOP book in my bibliography!!! It sure set my standards higher...and now that I know you'll read mine...how scaaaary!

Lo Scarabeo link? Where? what?

(AT has become my biggest source of info, joy and addiction as well... the best excuse to not write!!!)

baba-prague

Hi M-Press, just quickly as I keep meaning to post you this and then forgetting:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21428

the LS thread on what people want from books and LWBs - useful stuff.

So - thanks again for being kind about my book. I am so immersed in the new one that I can't get any perspective. You know how it is?
I'm just moving the Cats' book into a page layout programme (probably Pagemaker) because it's at that stage where I have to SEE it to be able to write it. It's just that essentially I think of everything in visual terms. Spent some of yesterday scanning in pictures for the book - but I now have to get a feel of how they will work.

Anyway - wish me luck and I wish you the same! I'm sure we'll both get there :)

ferrous

Re: More about Headless Sakki-Sakki people...

M-Press said:
So here I am adding more info on the headless issue...
[.. snip ..]
The absence of a face goes also to another place: There is no need for a mask! We can be whom we are, doing whatever we do, and nobody will know who we really are. This sounds crooky, but hardly! We all realize different aspect of ourselves, everyday, if we are lucky. Sometimes, we need change or we are tired to be whom we are supposed to be. It is hard to break out of your shell sometimes, but without a face, and without a mask, you certainly can"!
I know I'm really late on this, but I've only just discovered M-Press' Sakki-Sakki tarot & I am over the moon about it! It's one of the few decks I've come across in my (so far, I will admit not terribly extensive) travels through the tarots decks out there, which really grabbed my attention & hasn't yet let go!

I wanted to respond to your talk of masks (or lack of) with the headless people. It struck a chord in me. I don't necessarily feel that I am a victim of wearing masks - I think of myself that I wear masks less than most people - but I can relate to it in the way that I see it in others.

I suppose I do wear masks occasionally, as most of us would, but now that you've brought this up, I'm going to try to be more aware of it.

Pah! I'm just rambling now, I think. Anyway, I felt compelled to respond. :)

I'm really looking forward to having one of these decks for my own.

Moongold

Chronata said:
Wow M-Press.
These cards are really amazing! I love the bright colors, and the kinetic, slightly chaotic style, and thier sheer giddy boldness.

I am so impressed that you created a deck that seems to be esoteric, deeply intuitive, and at the very same time...FUN!
I especially love the Devil card!
And I noticed the Klimt influence right away in your Empress!

YES ....... I don't know who Klint is but Chronata has described just what I feel about your deck. It's the kind of deck which inspires positive feelings. The colour, the movement and the kind of happy creative chaos is beautiful.

Congratulations again...... :)

Moongold

HudsonGray

Klimt has some great stuff! Most people have seen the two kissers (can't remember the title on that one) but have probably seen several other pieces of his work without knowing it.

Here: http://www.expo-klimt.com/

I can see where the 'influence' comes in, there's a nice silimarity. The Sakki-Sakki Tarot has a very different kind of art feel to it than the standard type deck, there's a lot of freedom in the cards that were posted.