The Wild Unknown Tarot

Rhinemaiden

Oh happy day! My deck is waiting for me at the PO, to be picked up after work. Perfect timing as I have a four day weekend to enjoy the deck! :D

Will be ordering the book...HCIN? ;)

a_gnostic

...a_gnostic, thanks for posting the link to the book. I wish it had descriptions of the symbolism used or the artwork. General meanings in companion books don't cut it for me anymore. It looks very well done though for people that like companion books like that...

You're certainly welcome. Their web site navigation is a bit -- unusual. I don't yet have my copy of the book, but I get what you're saying about preferring knowledge about the artists' thought processes and reasons for choosing particular symbolism over what they believe the artwork is intended to convey at a more abstract level.

In a cursory study of the deck, I have noticed some interesting things. For example, the tree that's struck by lightning in The Tower looks much like the tree in The Emperor, and the solar eclipse in the latter must have some purpose. The artwork does have some esoteric elements, but their overall exoteric nature may be accessible enough to figure out some correspondences and meanings without the artist's help. That might make an interesting study group.

First things first: I want to see the book!

Terrapin

I received the deck in the mail 2 days ago. It's fantastic. I love the simplicity and the humility of the images, but it's very powerful. Terrific use of sparing color. Why can't more decks have card stock like this?

Where some decks will splash crazy, mysterious symbols all over the place that send you Googling for their meaning, this artist's placement of a twig or the coloring of the card in the most subtle way, draws an emotional response. Just perfect. Some favorite cards: 3 of cups and the 3 of wands.

Calcifer

My deck found its way to me yesterday, delivered to my workplace, and I was/am too busy to spend much time with it. But - for the moment, let me say that there's nothing about it that I don't love. It has truly exceeded my expectations. :)

I won't have any time off till this coming Monday, but then I'll post some more - and I'll have had time to get more acquainted... In the meantime, I'm looking forward to hearing about the book from those of you who ordered it; specifically to see if there's adequate descriptions of her thought processes with the imagery (even though images really do sem to speak for themselves).

Psyched !!
Michael

strings of life

Awesome right? I don't dislike one card. Hands down my favorite release this year (and there have been a few great ones).

In a cursory study of the deck, I have noticed some interesting things. For example, the tree that's struck by lightning in The Tower looks much like the tree in The Emperor, and the solar eclipse in the latter must have some purpose.
Re: The Emperor and The Tower, this is the first thing that I noticed when I flipped through the deck. I actually went back to The Emperor and then put them side by side. The Tower has the same tree, just reversed and the colors are also contrasted. The Tower is The Emperor in his head - chaos, lack of order in a nutshell. Genius.

jcwirish

I'm sitting here playing with the deck, and I was wondering if any of you are thinking about a study group. I've never been too committed to study groups, but I think things would be very different with this deck. I would be pretty dedicated. I do want to get the book, but there's something great about sharing ideas with other readers.

Just wondering about this, and hoping someone with experience might consider starting a study thread. :)

Wintergreen

I'd be up for a study group, but I'm still waiting for my deck. In limbo at customs I guess.

Rhinemaiden

study group is a lovely idea, Jo... first I need a copy of the book and that's on order!

It's a wonderful deck, beautifully packaged, great cardstock, it's going to take time to get to know it...

celticnoodle

In a cursory study of the deck, I have noticed some interesting things. For example, the tree that's struck by lightning in The Tower looks much like the tree in The Emperor, and the solar eclipse in the latter must have some purpose. The artwork does have some esoteric elements, but their overall exoteric nature may be accessible enough to figure out some correspondences and meanings without the artist's help. That might make an interesting study group.

First things first: I want to see the book!
I didn't even realize that, so thank you a_gnostic. I wasn't thinking of buying the book, but now, I don't know--perhaps I should purchase it. As for your question,
the solar eclipse in the latter must have some purpose
I googled about it and found some interesting information--see below where I will address this again.

Awesome right? I don't dislike one card. Hands down my favorite release this year (and there have been a few great ones).

Re: The Emperor and The Tower, this is the first thing that I noticed when I flipped through the deck. I actually went back to The Emperor and then put them side by side. The Tower has the same tree, just reversed and the colors are also contrasted. The Tower is The Emperor in his head - chaos, lack of order in a nutshell. Genius.
agreed. I can't stop looking at this deck. I've done a few readings with it, but I'm still also awed by it and just going through the deck, looking at each card is delightful.

I'm sitting here playing with the deck, and I was wondering if any of you are thinking about a study group. I've never been too committed to study groups, but I think things would be very different with this deck. I would be pretty dedicated. I do want to get the book, but there's something great about sharing ideas with other readers.

Just wondering about this, and hoping someone with experience might consider starting a study thread. :)
Oh yes! ME! ME! ME! I am so interested in a study group. I do wonder though if we should wait for people to get the book so they can also read the artists thoughts on each card? I don't know though--what do you think? also wiht the holidays coming up--I'm going to be on the go constantly, like many others. For me it would be better to wait till January--but that's me.

Now for a_gnostics question-
the solar eclipse in the latter must have some purpose

I googled for an description of what this could mean spiritually and found at this site:

http://www.spiritualresearchfoundation.org/articles/id/spiritualresearch/spiritualscience/eclipse

that basically it is increasing Raja-Tama and thus this has negative repercussions on humanity. It is also the time when spirits are more apt to cause problems for us as well.

So, then I thought, "Raja-Tama"? what is that? and of course, I googled that
and found on this site, http://www.spiritualresearchfoundat...ualresearch/spiritualscience/sattva_raja_tama

the answer. :)

Sattva, raja, tama is energy that makes up everything--all of creation. Its vibrations can influence the behavior of all in creation--including, obviously all of humanity. it further talks how a spiritual practice is the only way that can change it to be valuable. Now, if I have this slightly wrong--which I may--as I only quickly read through it--please be kind. Just go and have a read through at both sites yourselves, as I plan to do a bit later.

Just goes to show me that a lot of deep thought went into this deck and it makes it all the more beautiful to me.

eta: okay, I caved. I bought the book! :D not sure how long it'll take to get to me, but I imagine it'll ship out Monday, as they were very prompt in shipping the deck. So, perhaps by the end of the week next week, I'll have it. I wonder what other important details in the deck I missed out on? I'm off to explore it in greater detail right now in advance of reading the book...........

jcwirish

Yes, I agree we should wait till everyone has their deck and book before we start a study thread, but I am so excited to see others show interest. I would love to have a place to discuss our thoughts and ideas on this fabulous deck!

I haven't ordered the book yet myself. I'm going to have wait a couple of weeks for next payday. I am so looking forward to reading it. I wish I could get it now, but will have to wait.