Thoth Without Borders, Thank you Greenman!

Jane

Hi All,

Greenman's post in the thoth thread about the Olive Whicher site reminded me that I had seen it before. I found it very interesting, but when I put some of the cards together like the site showed, the borders of the cards got in the way. This has been my favorite and primary study deck and I have it in 3 sizes. Large for detail study, small, because they're easier to shuffle and handle, and pocket size that fit in my purse and can be taken anywhere.

Now I didn't really want to cut the borders off of any of these, because I figured it would ruin them for use, and I do use all of them. After thinking about it for a while I decided to get another large size and give it a try. At least I could play around and get some different visual perspectives with the cards. I wanted to be careful cutting off the borders and had not taken the time to do this yet.

At work we have a cutting board (I can't remember the name of the thing) with the fixed edge and the long arm with the blade on it. I thought this would work better than scissors.

To make a long story short (too late!!!) I took the deck to work with me and after work I used the cutting board thing to whack the borders off the Thoth deck.

It worked pretty well, the edges are smooth, and the cards size varies only very slightly. The corners are square and a bit sharpish, but the deck is still usuable, if a bit more difficult to shuffle.

What totally amazed me was how the artwork was freed as the borders came off. The pictures themselves seemed to pop right out. I've always thought the artwork wonderful, but never imagined that the borders made that much difference. I've actually liked them along with the keywords that some don't like.

Sorry to ramble so long, but I'm really enjoying my new perspective on this deck.

Thanks Greenman for the reminder.

Jane

Strange2

Jane: Where did you get the Pocket sized Thoth deck? Don't recall seeing it on any of the online ordering sites. That would be great for my work bag!

Greenman

it's cool that that worked for you. i think i would have tried color copies!
i just got my pocket sized Thoth a short time ago, so i would always have it in my glovebox. so on Sept. 11, i got in my car early to warm it up for work, and i thought "i'll do my daily draw while i wait". the radio is not playing the usual stuff, some news report instead, but i'm not paying attention. i shuffle and cut, and draw the 'Tower', just as i realize Peter Jennings is saying "for those of you just tuning in, a second plane has just..."!

Jane

Quote:Strange2 (22 Oct, 2001 01:23):
Jane: Where did you get the Pocket sized Thoth deck?

Hi Strange2,

I got mine from US Games.

http://www.usgamesinc.com/

I haven't seen it elsewhere on line, but a bookstore could probably order it for you also.

Jane

Jane

Quote:Greenman (22 Oct, 2001 08:19):
[snip] i shuffle and cut, and draw the 'Tower', just as i realize Peter Jennings is saying "for those of you just tuning in, a second plane has just..."!

Well that certainly was instant manifestation. Crowley's other association to the card of War certainly fits also.

Jane

Strange2

Quote:Jane (23 Oct, 2001 01:33):
I got mine from US Games.

http://www.usgamesinc.com/
Jane

Jane: Thank you thank you ;D ! I just ordered the Pocket and Small Thoth decks from US Games. I resisted the temptation to browse through their other decks (at least until next paycheck ;-) )!