Tips on starting the work on computer

bagheera444

Other Alternatives

Greetings to you all

I too have made 2 decks 1 hand painted the other a collage effect .
My next project is to be a digital one .

I want to create a deck using digital images or captures /stills from movies to create a personal deck using these scene stills

- so my question is does anyone have ideas about inexpensive editing tools for pc that can be used to take stills of movies Ie "The Matrix" which i can then use,I have been trying to find an edit tool that allows me to capture images from movies then go from there to editing cut, paste,type, feathe etc all i ahvev at the moment is Ulead photoimpact 7

If someone has some clues or knows of somone to offer me some advice that would be peachy!

regards Bagheera444

rota

It seems to me that if you could play the DVD on your computer, you could freezeframe the movie, then use your screencapture function to save the frame as a single image, then manipulate the image in Photoshop or something similar.

Granted I've never gone through this process, but it seems do-able. I occasionally work with .mov files, and I know it's possible to copy-and-paste from them into PS or Illustrator.

Experiment! And good luck! Tell us what you find out...

bagheera444

Hi Rota ,yeah thanks for the thoughts ,IMMMh?

I looked at screen capturing devices a little while back and though they may capture the screen -the quality of the resoultion of pixel is severly comprimised, the images i want need to be crystal clear these devices are fine for instruction manuals and game cues

. its true i have a dvd device that i installed recently it is a shareware of something called intervideo 4 that with the full version allows me to capture stills,but i have not gone down that rd yet. I am uncertain about things like the options it might have once i capture the still,and their is little material on what the full version can do. i think maybe i'll write to them to find out!

Formatting - comptibility of capturing software with existing software to edit . is an issue, i need to make sure the capture tool sees the same image as the DVD drivers (as i beleive the Dpi colour can be distorted or show a grey/black blank screen once an image is captured ) this means the capturing device is basically taking a picture from the wrong place and does not automatically make the adjustments -since i'm no techie i need a user friendly simple device that configures these for me.

There is confusion out there for me about products avalialbe ,many offer the chance to take stills from Video-movies and from Cd,Dvd ,digital camera and others but the impression i get is these tools can only be used for things like home movies digital cameras -that have no copyright and can be easily copied for personal use ,created by the home user for the home user

Also the capturing device needs to be able to save straight to the disk, because of encryption and copyright their may be limits on what i can do, so being able to bypass encryption is another point.

Still in limbo
Bagheer444

Astra

"...so being able to bypass encryption is another point."

Yes, but it's a point that runs straight into a really muddled mess, and makes it a bit tricky to reply to your question, since any reply that includes a technique for actually doing it runs directly into copyright and legal problems.

Even though you've said this would be purely a personal deck, and therefor within the strict legal limitations of copyright standards, you bought the DVD with the knowledge that copying was prohibited. Thus, your request for help, strictly speaking, is a request for other people to become accessories before the fact.

That probably sounds incredibly harsh, and more than a little stuffy. I suppose it is. But there are warez sites aplenty, and forums where this type of copying is one of the main topics, where you can probably find the information you need.

isthmus nekoi

for aure

Take it easy on the wrists, esp if you are using a mouse. The last thing you want is to develop a repetitive stress injury!!! So, ergonomic workstation is a *must*. Take breaks. 78 cards is a lot of time in front of a computer.

yes, psd is a much better file extension than jpeg.

I believe artwork that is old enough is no longer under copyright. I can't remember how old it has to be, I'm sure the info's on this board somewhere.

If you are going shell out for photoshop, learn the tools that make it so powerful and learn to use them well: channels, layer masks etc.

if you have an extra monitor in the house: dual monitor system. The graphics card for this isn't so expensive. I cannot tell you how great it is to be able to dock all your PS palettes onto another monitor.

bagheera444

There are means and ways...
,sounds like i'm not getting any joy here about "legal options"people seem quite glib about stating whats not appropiate.

I have no reason to pursure illegal methods (perhaps i did not make myself clear) of copying, but honest methods- my observation is there are devices(legal or otherwise) you can buy that allows one to bypass encryption codes to capture stills and it was this angle(legal) i am chiefly pusuing in asking for advice not what my permissive rights are thankyou

I'm thinking too many here are pushing on photoshop yes i did a couse in photoshop 6 so i 'm aware of this product but i was asking about dvd "legal devices for taking stills,I am still hoping my other queries can be answered ie the colour ratios or inexpensive dvd capturing devices.

THanks
Bagheera444

Major Tom

bagheera444 said:
There are means and ways...
,sounds like i'm not getting any joy here about "legal options"people seem quite glib about stating whats not appropiate.

If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a way to bypass the encryption codes in place on a dvd of "The Matrix".

"The Matrix" is definitely under copyright and thus, any attempt to bypass codes to take stills from the dvd would be against the law in most countries.

The Forum Rules are very specific on this point. You will not find the information you seek here. Please do not continue to seek it here. Thank you.

Your only option would be to approach the producers of "The Matrix" for permission and thus obtain the stills legally.

Major Tom
Moderator - Tarot Deck Creation

bagheera444

To major tom .No you have not understood what i wrote...

I used the Matrix by way of analogy to infer a modern movie and my interest in taking stills from a movie (ANY MOVIE!!!) to compose a deck

I had already written if you had bothered to read what my intentions are so i will not repeat myself.

I am obviously talking to the wrong group of people about a technical issue that for me has not been resolved satisfactorily yet .
I know there are legal available edit tools for capturing stills but i don't know why its so hard to understand apart from the one person who mentioned screen saving techniques

copyright (playing devils advocate here), like lots of things is hard to police especially over the net laws in one country may not apply or be not as permissive as in another...

You dont need to sound all high and mighty, i've read the contract when i joined yrs ago. I contribute on this site- i have no intention to discredit or bring disrepute on yourself or others linked to this site,Ok.

I am simply looking for an edit tool and advice on how best i can achieve my aim without infringing on any laws as i have already said.

Thankyou
Bagheera444

Astra

What you may not have quite distinguished, Bagheera, is that although the tools themselves are "legal", just as it is legal to sell someone a set of lockpicks, or a gun and ammunition, as soon as you use the tools to break copy protection on a copyrighted DVD, for almost any reason except to make a single secure backup copy (and that's iffy at the moment), you are acting illegally.

It's a fine point of law, and it's the one that the lawyers for the toolmakers take full advantage of. "All I did was write a piece of decryption software - I'm not responsible for the use someone else puts it to."

Major Tom

bagheera444 said:
To major tom .No you have not understood what i wrote...

I used the Matrix by way of analogy to infer a modern movie and my interest in taking stills from a movie (ANY MOVIE!!!) to compose a deck

I understood you well enough. :)

Any modern movie with encryption codes in place will be under copyright. Any attempt to bypass the codes to take stills for any purpose would be illegal in most countries. You are definitely talking to the wrong group of people if you want advice on how to break the law.

Please stop looking here for a resolution for your technical problem. Even if someone did answer you, I would be compelled to delete the answer. We do respect the copyright laws here. :)

Major Tom
Moderator - Tarot Deck Creation