Tips on starting the work on computer

HudsonGray

I have to agree with the others, you're taking an established work on the market-already owned & under copyright (internationally as well as nationally, almost all countries honor USA copyrights) and want to make something out of the stills with it.

Legally you're not allowed to do that, unless the images are altered enough to not be recognisable or are done as a parody/cartoon. Just using the stills as they are don't qualify as either of these, for what you want to do with them.

You are allowed to make something for yourself to enjoy (at home, not taken out in the public), but not to trade, give away, sell or otherwise distribute to others if you don't legally have permission from the original copyright owners. (I've gone over this with a copyright lawyer about something in the past, the legalities are specific & are followed up with by the studios so don't think you won't get caught). Even the X-Files tv show had fan sites taken down off the internet till they determined what they wanted up online about the show. And don't ever think Disney allows ANYTHING to squeek by! They're notorious about this. Studios keep tight hold on their bread & butter money makers. If the item never leaves your home, it's probably ok. But the methods you're saying you want to use to get the original art to use for it aren't legal, you're trying to break encryption code which is prosecuteable by law (as it says at the start of every movie).

bagheera444

Edit tools for pc

Hell and i thought i was the first person to want to copy something for personal use...

People make copies of music / movies for private use using differring edit tools from all over the world, even with copyright laws in place.

Obviously this site does not condone such practises- the stance to remain resistant on this subject or anything related to it untill the subject of legal copying is defined more clearly is perfectly understandable.

But surely there is a certain hypercrisy in this thought issued from the moderator.

I have seen on this site images from current movies, the Star Wars deck for example can be seen clearly by many people.

How is it that after asking me to remove my ideas on edit tools
i see this deck created by digital edit tools; seems to have bypassed these copyright laws. How is this?

And dare i say it this site then according to tom then would be by its actions infringing upon copyright by showing these images in public.

And yet the same site asks me to refrain from investigating my options on edit tools.

I am inquiring into pc tools that are avaliable to the public (nothing ilegal in that), and in due course this may change but castrating a line of enquiry by telling me this site will not offer any help is not in any way helpful to me or to others who may have simialar questions.

Please correct me on this observation as i probably dont have all the facts but to me star wars is a movie and the images have been copied from it to make a tarot deck.

what have i missed?

I'm sure it is not unreasonable to imagine that copying images by whatever meduim will continue, the act of personal reproduction goes on, some abuse this the majority don't.

but i wont have my own integrity brought into doubt by telling me my actions are illegal ( i'm aware enough of boudaries )you are only stating your own position and perhaps my enquiry is in an area that is gray but you don't say that.

You assume i'm embarking on illegal activity but why else would i write were it not that i have a moral centre-to find out what i can and can't do. As i said there are alot of devices available, I have heard nothing here i dont already know legally .but the fact remains there are mediums out there for those who want to copy for personal use.

i will continue looking untill a happy medium is found

You know this veiling of your own vices in virtuos words thing is not honest in itself and i see that within some here.

However, as major tom the moderator has a duty of care and given me the tom thumb down i will refrain from bringing this topic up again.

Bagheera

HudsonGray

Was this the one?

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/star-wars/

It does say it's not for publication so it won't be reproduced to sell or give away. It doesn't say if the artist got permission, but they do have a name listed in highlights, so I suppose it's possible to email the person to find out if they asked Lucas about it. Without checking with the artist, we don't actually know & have to guess.

Kester Pelagius

Greetings,

Registered primarily to respond to this thread.

Aure said:
I have a couple of questions before I start the creative process:

*What software would you recommend? I have experience with Paintshop Pro and Adobe Photoshop but have heard that Gimp would be good too (and free, if I'm right..)

*What resolution and card size (preferably in pixels/inch or centimeters) would be good?

*What type of image packaging would be good? Png, raw format or jpg?

*If I consider making collages, are there any artwork that doesn't require licence from the author etc.? If I need to get a licence from the holder of rights, how is that done?

Ok, so the last question is speculative since I'm probably making all the stuff myself, but as a huge fan of Finnish art from the turn of the 20th century (Gallen-Kallela etc.) I have considered that too...

Software: GIMP is not bad. Comes with a bit of learning curve, so if you are not already familiar with image editors you may want to play around with it a bit first. However, if you bought your computer within the last couple of years the odds are you already have perfectly useable image editing software on it somewhere to do the bare bones basics.

Resolution: Minimum 300 DPI. Anything below this and the image will look bleh. My suggested work resolutions are either 500 DPI or 1200 DPI (for those atouts that you want fine details on).

Image Format: TIFF. Never BMP or JPEG. TIFF. If you want to create, say, a PDF booklet using your created images TIFF has the least problems. Just be aware TIFFs also tend to be large, so be sure you have enough RAM on your system.*

Collages: As pertains to securing rights to stuff I'd suggest perusing a file on digital tarot creation I created/am in the process of re-editing. I have it slated for purging from my Yahoo group but, as luck would have it, I have not done so yet. (I'll send you the info in a PM.) The files are PDFs and come with sample images. But the long and the short of it...

If your deck is for personal use, doesn't really matter what your source images are. However, if you play to ever print the deck for re-sale then, yes, it matters very much. Steer clear of copyrighted images. Steer clear of "securing rights" since that mean you will have to pay for the rights and, in all likelyhood, be require to pay royalties for every deck you sell thereafter.

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius

(*)Especially helpful when you are doing a lot of editing. Also, SAVE your work images under DIFFERENT names in case you don't like the end result. And don't be afraid of filling up GB of HD space in the process, because you will, trust me!

Kester Pelagius

Greetings,

bagheera444 said:
I looked at screen capturing devices a little while back and though they may capture the screen -the quality of the resoultion of pixel is severly comprimised, the images i want need to be crystal clear

Depending on how badly pixelated the images are you may be able to rescue them with the application of creative filters.

First step, load the image into your image editor. Reset the resolution to something like, say, 500 DPI if the images have visible artefacting.

Second step, smooth the image a bit. You can do this in any number of ways, though DESPECKLING will probably be the best method to begin with.

Third, save this new image with a DIFFERENT name. Use this as your work image.

Fourth, work on any additional imperfections, apply artistic filters, saving each image you think look decent (under a DIFFERENT file name) as you go.

Fifth, reload these images. Go to your original work image, use this as the base image. Now, taking the other images, copy and paste them onto the work image as overlays/layers. Adjust opaqueness as necessary.

Sixth, combine all the image layers. If you like the result, save with yet another file name.

Woila! Instant new image.

Yeah, it's just a work around and much more work than having a utility that will just save a screen cap for you at a decent rez. But if you can't find one what's the harm in trying?

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius

The 78th Fool

Re: Edit tools for pc

bagheera444 said:
Hell and i thought i was the first person to want to copy something for personal use...

People make copies of music / movies for private use using differring edit tools from all over the world, even with copyright laws in place.

Obviously this site does not condone such practises- the stance to remain resistant on this subject or anything related to it untill the subject of legal copying is defined more clearly is perfectly understandable.

But surely there is a certain hypercrisy in this thought issued from the moderator.

I have seen on this site images from current movies, the Star Wars deck for example can be seen clearly by many people.

How is it that after asking me to remove my ideas on edit tools
i see this deck created by digital edit tools; seems to have bypassed these copyright laws. How is this?

And dare i say it this site then according to tom then would be by its actions infringing upon copyright by showing these images in public.

And yet the same site asks me to refrain from investigating my options on edit tools.

I am inquiring into pc tools that are avaliable to the public (nothing ilegal in that), and in due course this may change but castrating a line of enquiry by telling me this site will not offer any help is not in any way helpful to me or to others who may have simialar questions.

Please correct me on this observation as i probably dont have all the facts but to me star wars is a movie and the images have been copied from it to make a tarot deck.

what have i missed?

I'm sure it is not unreasonable to imagine that copying images by whatever meduim will continue, the act of personal reproduction goes on, some abuse this the majority don't.

but i wont have my own integrity brought into doubt by telling me my actions are illegal ( i'm aware enough of boudaries )you are only stating your own position and perhaps my enquiry is in an area that is gray but you don't say that.

You assume i'm embarking on illegal activity but why else would i write were it not that i have a moral centre-to find out what i can and can't do. As i said there are alot of devices available, I have heard nothing here i dont already know legally .but the fact remains there are mediums out there for those who want to copy for personal use.

i will continue looking untill a happy medium is found

You know this veiling of your own vices in virtuos words thing is not honest in itself and i see that within some here.

However, as major tom the moderator has a duty of care and given me the tom thumb down i will refrain from bringing this topic up again.

Bagheera

Hi Bagheera,

I'm responding to this thread because it concerns me that there's posasible bad feeling here with regards to the subject in question and that's something that I've found to be rare if not non - existant on this forum.

There are many of us who no doubt will sympathise with your sentiments on a personal level. Nevertheless, this forum has to remain a neutral and safe environment for everyone to use - Hence the seemingly unpalettable boundaries that the moderator has imposed in this instance.

It's difficult for me to comment because I'm only new here - Many people may agree with you on an 'unofficial' level, I don't know - nevertheless, for everyone's benefit the forum has to be seen to be 'above board' and following legal guidelines in every respect.

As the creator of a deck myself I can only draw this comparison to the creator of a film - My deck is now posted on Aeclectic. It's also available for interactive readings on another site as well as being viewable in its entirety on its own website. If somebody 'screen captured' any of my images for saleable use it would be of great concern to me - I created this deck as a labour of love but also as a financial venture - It's part of my living. Even if I discovered the use of similar practices for private use only I would still be mildly unhappy to say the least. Seeking permission is a courtesy - after all, I put a lot of sweat, time and effort into creating this work - It's my baby so to speak and I am both subjectively and objectively involved.

I understand your frustration - I spent a great deal of time trying to source appropriate images for my deck. Many of my images come from copyright free sources unless I took them myself.

To sum up, whereas I can sympathise on one level, on another I can also understand that here is probably not the place to be asking questions on any subject that could possibly be construed as bringing the forum into disrepute. Like you, I want to be posting here for a long time to come and would be very disappointed it that was put in jeopardy!

As for the Moderator, I don't know him properly yet but I conclude that there is no ill feeling there - I just think he's doing a necessary job. Maybe this is an instance where it would be better to air any potential grievances via private message rather than on the thread itself.

I hope writing this hasn't caused any ill will. I've posted it publicly because I think what's being discussed highlights a valuable lesson to everyone here, not only with regards to legal matters but also with regards to our own personal differences. We've all got them, but please lets stay friends here at least!!! This forum's one of the few bastions of goodwill left in the world

Bagheera, If you're ever in my neck of the woods, I'll take you for a drink - to celebrate differences and to affirm ongoing friendship!
Chris. x

Little Baron

Well put Chris!

blackroseivy

I cannot afford Photoshop!!!

I'm very upset because I have *no choice* but Paint Shop Pro!! Will my resolution be just fuhgeddaboudit or *wha*, here??!! :(

baba-prague

No, Paintshop Pro isn't a disaster, it's in fact okay in some ways. It really depends what you want to do with it. If you are planning to use lots of sophisticated effects, then yes, Photoshop is the best. But for a simpler style Paintshop may be all you need.

Kissa

baba-prague said:
No, Paintshop Pro isn't a disaster, it's in fact okay in some ways. It really depends what you want to do with it. If you are planning to use lots of sophisticated effects, then yes, Photoshop is the best. But for a simpler style Paintshop may be all you need.

listen to the lady, danubhe, she knows what she's talking about :D

Kissa