Too close to see.

raeanne

My eldest son (20 yrs old) has been separated from his girl friend all summer. She is returning soon. There is another young man interested in this girl. My son asked if there was anything to worry about concerning this other guy. I think I am a little too close to the situation and I would appreciate any comments. Here is the Celtic Cross layout using Legend: the Arthurian Tarot:
1. Center – Queen of Shields (Pentacles)
2. Crossing – 8 of Cups Reversed
3. Below – Knight of Shields (Pentacles)
4. Past – Ace of Swords Reversed
5. Above – Page of Shields (Pentacles)
6. Future – Ace of Shields (Pentacles) Reversed
7. Self – King of Cups Reversed
8. Others/Environment – 8 of Spears (Wands)
9. Hopes/Fears – 5 of Shields (Pentacles)
10. Outcome – 4 of Shields (Pentacles)

I also cast the runes. I throw runes by grabbing a handful from the bag, shaking them in my hands like dice and them dropping them. Three runes fell upright and in a line: Isa (on the left), Kenaz (in the center), and Ingwaz (on the right) and two others, Sowilo and Elhaz, were upside down and angling away from the other three.

My gut reaction to both of these is that my son needs to give this girl her own space. If he tries (out of fear of losing her) to control her, he will lose her. Thanks for any comments.

Jane

Hi,

I laid this reading out with my Thoth deck.
I don't use reversals, but I do use elemental dignities. Here's how it looks to me.

This relationship has been pretty stable, it's comfortable (Queen of Disks) and has perhaps become rather complacent (8 of Cups).

I think there's a possiblity that his girlfriend may be attracted to this other guy, but it's probably just for the excitement of something new and different, and probably won't last real long. (8 of Wands).

The King of Cups may mean that your son hasn't really expressed his feelings very well to her. It can also indicate that he needs to be careful about not overreacting to the situation.

When using elemental dignities, sometimes the lacking elements in a spread are as telling as what is there. Air (thought) and Fire (Creativity and Passion) seem to be most lacking here. They are only represented in the past positions or outside influence.

Overall it looks like the relationship has a solid foundation. I think there needs to be some thought and creativity put into making the relationship more exciting and fun. If this is done I think the outside attraction will be no more than passing. As long as emotions don't get out of control and do more damage than good.

Hope this helps and makes sense :)

Jane