Turn Around Spread

Gayla

This spread is inspired by an article I read today about a self-awareness exercise called 'The Work' by Byron Katie. It consist of identifying the issue, 4 questions and a 'turn around'. It is suppose to be a written exercise, but I wanted to see what would be revealed by turning it into a spread.

First, Identify the Issue. (Note, not a question, it needs to be an issue. For example, "My sister constantly insults me and does not respect me.")

Second, lay the cards:

1) Is it true?

2) Is it 'absolutely' true or not?

3) What does the querent need to know about their own behaviour to the issue?

4) What does the querent need to know to change their own perspective about the issue?

Advice: The Turn Around - pulling 1 & 2 together with 3 & 4 to advise the querent on what they need to know to change their own behavior and perspective to improve the situation.

Any thoughts? I would like to try it with someone if interested.

G.

P.S.: This is my first ever attempt at developing a spread. :)

YDM42

Gayla lets try it.

Gayla

Okay. :) I got your PM.

Astraea Aurora

Hi Gayla,

I like this a lot. I'm sure it gives very much insight. Just a question btw:

Gayla said:
Advice: The Turn Around - pulling 1 & 2 together with 3 & 4 to advise the querent on what they need to know to change their own behavior and perspective to improve the situation.

Do you mean forming a quint essence out of 1 and 2 / 3 and 4? Or is it more about summing up what the card pairs have to say?

Blessings, Astraea Aurora

Gayla

Astraea Aurora said:
Do you mean forming a quint essence out of 1 and 2 / 3 and 4? Or is it more about summing up what the card pairs have to say?

Hi Astraea,

That is a good question because when I devloped the thread I found it a bit difficult to determine which it should really be at the end. But after doing the spread, I found it to be more of a sum it up.

As I mentioned, I created the spread from a article I read about 'The Work' by Byron Katie. Much to my delight and suprise, when I began my reading of Mary K. Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card last night, she mentions Byron Katie in the intro and talks about 'perception'. This gave me a boost of confidence that the spread was really in line with how I want to pursue my tarot studies and skill development.

Basically, this spread is designed to help determine if the seekers perception is accurate or not. For example, when the reading was done for me...it very much helped me step outside my perception about my relationship with my mother and forced focus on my fault in the matter, not my mothers....

Overall, I think it is a very useful spread, but not for the faint of heart, because 9 times of out 10, I think it will point out some harsh realities about ones perceptions.

Did you try the spread? What did you think? :)

Ruby Red Slippers

Gayla:

I am very interested In Byron Katie's work and have done the work sheets which are most helpful.

I just bought Mary Greer's book yesterday so it piqued my interest to see you say she mentions, Katie. It makes sense since both of them are into introspection as the way of turning your life around...very interesting.

Wonder if you want to expand this thread...we could start a discussion in another thread where we each read for ourselves and share and comment from this perspective.

Who knows others here might be Katie readers also and it would be helpful to share!

Gayla

Hi Ruby,

Oh yes, that would be good. What type of thread were you thinking of? Reading exchange? Feel free to start it up and I will follow your lead. :)

I was thinking of looking in to Katie's work a bit more as well, but I am thought I might get into it a bit after I finish up 21 Ways...thus far it has been very good, I am doing all the activities and find it very easy to follow and enlightening.

I too am very interested in this aspect of the Tarot. I think Mary K. Greer's model is an excellent one to follow and I am very open to the R.I.T.E style of reading.

I would like to expand the reading a bit at some point. It's a bit basic right now and could probably benefit from a few more cards at the end, perhaps a question about the 'emotions', which Mary K. Greer seems to be really focused on in 21 Ways..

Any suggestions? :)

YDM42

Gayla this was a wonderful thread- very accurate and like you said a little frank- but it is a personal growth type spread.
Thank you so much for creating it. I too would love to particpate in any further development of it- to increase my understanding of how to best use it.

Gayla

Yes, ..it's not a spread for the faint of heart really is it?

It's the kind of spread that meets the issue head on and can will really clarify the matter quite staight foward...which is good, but I think the reader really has to keep their 'empathy' in check, which is something else Mary K. Greer talks about in 21 ways.