uhm hi?

farstucker

well i'm new...

i don't know that much about tarot. i'm slowly learning it through my qabalah class, very interesting studies there. ever since i've begun using, reading, even just looking at tarot i've wanted to create my own deck. so i finally decided to do it.

i want to make a deck specifically geared toward me. something that screams at me. the two decks i do have are very me, but not enough. so i thought if i made my own deck using my drawing skills and studies that i would better understand tarot.

i've not finished any yet first, i got three big posterboards from wal-mart and outlined the cards i wanted, the major arcana first. their big so i can fit more detail in them. ((posterboard, btw, is the perfect thickness and easy to draw and erase on, and are stiff enough to use especially if laminated afterwards.)) because of the size i want i'll have all 22 on two posterboards with about three or four to spare in case i royally screw up during inking or something.

i'm starting on the high priestess first, i've always been more drawn to her before any of the others. i don't think i'll stray far from the symbology found in the rider-waite deck, and i think i'll have a look at the thoth deck mainly also. my grandmother has about a million decks so if i get stuck with symbols i can always look at others and see what other artists have done.

i think i've taken on a huge project, but this is something that has been bugging me for a long time. ever since i began on my journey of the esoteric path in fact, which is around three years. this is a lovely forum and i'm glad it's around just so i can peruse everyone's ideas and feed off the creativity and knowledge that is abounding here. :)

rota

We're all interested in how it goes. As you begin to have a few to show, please tell us where they're posted, so we can go see them.

Astraea

Welcome to Aeclectic

I'm sure you'll find lots to interest you on this wonderful site. Welcome, and enjoy!

Major Tom

Welcome to the community. :)

Let me echo my friend Rota by saying do keep us informed of your progress. I'm sure we'd like to share your efforts as you progress.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't think my fellow deck creators would disagree too much when I say that you've embarked on a life changing journey - a most enlightening and enjoyable journey. Creating a deck is an excellent way to learn tarot.

AmounrA

Hello Farstucker,

My tip for you is to draw the trumps that appeal least..first. Its really helps keep up the motivation, knowing that the ones you love most are yet to come. I'm sure theres a million uncompleted decks out there :)

firemaiden

Farstucker, I am going to worry that I will accidentally use the spoonerism of your name, but you knew that already. I can see you will be a colourful character on the boards.

skytwig

farstucker said:
well i'm new...
this is a lovely forum and i'm glad it's around just so i can peruse everyone's ideas and feed off the creativity and knowledge that is abounding here. :)

You're sooo right! this is a Grand place to explore. Lot's of creative, interesting people here!

Glad you joined in the fun!

Welcome!

skytwig :)

farstucker

"I can see you will be a colourful character on the boards."

you can bet i'll be. ;) if not by sheer wit then bumbling newbie-ism. :p muahaha...

and i am having trouble with my high priestes. i have HER perfect. but the pillars do NOT want to show up. :( maybe i drew her too big, but i like the way she is she's perfect. it's just everything behind her...blah.... *sob*