Vertigo Study: The Magician

canus

I am a Vertigo reader (but I don't claim to have read all the characters depicted in the Vertigo Tarot) and I would like to share my views on the cards I do know from the comics and hope others will give feedback and share their views on the other cards of this wonderful deck. I will refrain as much as I can from repeating what is in the book and try to give my view where different.

Depicted on this card is Tim Hunter. In the accompanied book R. Pollack tells that they had to 'lure him away from his ordinary reality'. An important aspect for me is that Tim Hunter denounced Magic, but once aware can't reject his own nature. I think this has to be taken into account. It is not only study which makes a powerful magician, but also a natural tendency to perceive the world as magical it has to be in his nature to become a magician.

If you look at the card the first thing I notice is the book/head face of a 'nerd'. It can indicate a beginning of a sort to study magic (Tim Hunter represents wild magic that has to be tamed by study (book)). Power gained from the knowledge from books which is restrictive (see Vertigo Study: The Tower) but offers freedom in return. The freedom to be creative within the restriction where all goes well. This young magician is a conduit for power (his right hand pointing upward and his left down).
From 'The Books of Magic I The invisible Labyrinth'
TH: 'Could I be as powerful as Merlin?'
FS: '…you could be the conduit for power that Merlin was…'
TH: 'I'd like that.'
Moments before they have discussed the restrictions of Merlin.

I think as the magician stands for power, knowledge and creativity. He is bound by the rules which gives him this power (outside, book). So he can use it to manipulate (the minor arcana depicted in front of him) within the borders of his knowledge.

I don't think the power is outside the magician (as is seen in most? other decks) which the magician only channels, but is a structure brought from outside on the magicians natural abilities so he can use his natural abilities. The 'nerd' can be seen as a person who focusses on the one talent on the outside but is focused inward for the rest (unlike the normal stage magician). I don't think the creative power comes from outside, outside only activates it. But you might differ.