Water damage! Ack!!!

Aster Breo

Three of my mini decks got water damaged yesterday. A bottle of water leaked into the bag I was carrying them in.

After laying them out to dry overnight, I assessed the damage today.

My German vintage mini (Seven Stars) is probably out of commission because the Cross card is too damaged to use. The title card is also pretty bad, but the rest of the cards are ok. That one might go into the give-away thread.

My Lenormand de Marseilles mini seems to have survived reasonably well. It was in the middle of the little pouch, so might have absorbed less water. I would no longer describe them as "like new", and several have a little roughness around the edges, but they're still useable. (I'm so happy I wasn't carrying the OOP Illuminated edition!)

I thought the Zingdoodle mini had escaped much damage, but now that they're dry, they're pretty badly warped (vertically).

Any suggestions for trying to fix them? Will pressing them in a heavy book with weight on top help? If so, how long should I leave them to press?

Thank you for any advice!

Yelell

As a drastic measure (like it's already a loss) I would personally try an iron. I've never done that with cards, but once with a water damaged book I loved. Smooth cloth between the iron and the paper, low heat, test it out on something else before hand if possible? I don't know what would happen honestly, but with my book i was able to largely flatten out the rippled pages and laminated paperback cover without melting or scorching it.

magpie9

They make special ironing cloths that won't scorch or burn. You can find them in your local big box store. Good luck with this.

Aster Breo

I can't believe I didn't think of the iron!

Thank you!!!

I'll try to remember to report back here on how it works.