Water damage decks

Awkward.turtle91

Please don't throw it away! All the suggestions are excellent - I was thinking of something called "magician's powder". Supposed to help in the unsticking of cards. Not to sound sentimental but maybe this deck needs you...?

What's magicians powder?, there not stuck thankfully just wet.
I hadn't thought of it like that before.
X

allifai

It may be to late, but for other water-logged decks, maybe sit the cards in a sealed container with a few cups of rice? Rice is supposed to absorb water...

Tanga

I don't tend to mess around with spells. X.

:joke: I do. I construct and use them regularly. I'm Wiccan.
See Threads on Magick and Rituals here:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=246006
(and just to underline - from the possible tone of your comment - spells - don't have to be "evil" :)
They are afterall - another form of prayer.).

Re: Talisman use example:
- Intention -
"I wish to be confident and have the appropriate inner resources to efficiently tackle my day".

- Talisman chosen for the day that embodies this intention - Trump card #8 (or 11), Strength.
Pop her in your back pocket or bag. Visualise her as YOU - "gentling the lion with a deftly soft touch".
Imagine her being a channel, funnelling this energy into you (or Him - if your chosen Strength card is a Him or other), etc.

Please don't throw it away! All the suggestions are excellent - I was thinking of something called "magician's powder". Supposed to help in the unsticking of cards. Not to sound sentimental but maybe this deck needs you...?

Magicians powder, is a zinc powder that you spread onto cards that stick to each other, to make them easier to shuffle. Some cardstock coating is sticky (rather annoying). It's not for treating water damage.
Although if after water damage your cards have become bumpy and sticky - then it may help with a smoother shuffle.

Once you have water damage - that's it.
Rice, or a humidifier, sunshine, or putting them in the heating cabinet - would help if they are still wet - to dry them out. But any expansion, flaking, ink spread and staining that's happened as a result is unlikely to be curable. (maybe expansion...).

Awkward.turtle91

I may purchase some black velvet on pay day, and some spray glue.
And use the cards to create my own altar cloth :)

And purchase another copy of the deck.

Dogs&Coffee

If you can dry them out and they're still readable, don't count them out yet. I love the look of "weathered" vintage decks. It's kind of campy old fortune teller "these cards have seen many things" vibe, which is always fun :)

Also, See if you can intuit anything out of the staining or warping on the cards in a reading. Maybe it'll add a new dimension to your readings :)

nisaba

What do you guys do when your tarot decks have become water damaged?

Well they rarely do, because I keep 'em well away from food, drink and open windows.

But I would dry them out.

My wheel of the year deck has become water damaged just as I was thinking about selling it then choose not to.

I don't even know how it's managed to get wet. :(

Such is life. If it's not heavily laminated, iron each card with a cool iron.

The slightly buckled, water-damaged look will make it look, old, venerable, well-used, well-loved and mystical, anyway. :)

Do you think this is a sign I shouldn't have kept the deck? X

<sigh> People are too ready to see "signs" in everything.

It's more likely that once you made the decision to keep it, it no longer had to look pristine for a buyer, so it could look old, individual and well-loved for YOU.

AnemoneRosie

I love my water damaged deck. It's the deck that I bring with me when I go camping, or when I go to the beach, or for picnics. After all, what's it going to do - get rained on?