Weird Dream.. any thoughts?

idyll

I had a really weird dream last night, and some parts of it have stood out to me, but I'm not sure what the importance of them could be.

During the dream, I was taking part in some kind of underwater/swimming training - but it wasn't for anything like a swimming class, it was more for training tests and measurements that you would go through to join the army or some kind of a team like that.

There were a few of us (the majority of the others that I remember were men) sitting on the sidelines waiting our turns to go through various tests.. the first couple I don't remember clearly, but I remember that I did very well at them.

The one that stood out to me and that I remember crystal clear was a test to hold your breath/fight of normal drowning reactions. I was brought into the water, told to pick one of two positions on the bottom of the pool to hold onto and the instructor held me under the water. I remember expecting to panic and freak out as if I were drowning, but instead, I was completely calm - to the point where the instructor had to pull me out out of concern (I felt like I still could have stayed under). They'd told me I'd held my breath for 2.25minutes, it had felt like less time to me and I was so calm I almost felt like I was dying without actually going through the drowing process. The time I stayed under/calmness I showed was then sort of the standard for everyone else.

That's the majority of what I remember, but what could that mean? I feel like the part I remember really clearly has some meaning, but I'm not sure what. When I look it up, all I find is that holding your breath is a sign of being "too stubborn"

Does anyone have any ideas?

Scibility

I haven't figured out how to make links in posts yet, but I found this:
"To dream that you are underwater suggests that you are being overcome with emotions and are in over your head regarding some situation. You need to gain greater control of your life.

To dream that you are breathing underwater represents a retreat back into the womb. You want to return to a state where you were dependent and free from responsibilities. Perhaps you are feeling helpless, unable to fulfill your own needs and to care for yourself. Alternatively, breathing underwater is analogous to being submerged in your own emotions."

Maybe the fact that the time you held your breath was standard for everyone else is suggesting that you may be stressing about something that might seem like a really huge deal; but may just be a part of a process or just part of life in general.

Water might be suggesting your emotions/response to it is greater than the issue itself? The first two tests you did well on may have been a symbol of early stages of something that you successfully accomplished?

Although the dream has water in it, for some reason I thought of the 8 of swords when I was reading your post.

interesting dream!

1Eleven

Hi idyll,
I feel the best approach with dreams is to find out what it means to you, specifically. I'm not really a fan of dream dictionaries for that reason. It's a great place to start but symbols are not static, they are dynamic and while we both may experience the same symbol it's meaning will most likely be very different depending on what's going on with each of us at that point in our lives. This response can be very different even the next day.

With that said, I'd start with water being a symbol of the unconscious / intuition. This "test" looks like it deals with completion of some sort (2.25 reduces to 27/9). Are you up to the test/task of letting go?

I hope this helps

Jon

DownwardSpiral

my thoughts

for me.....if I've got alot of unsettling thoughts on my mind....that's when I'll have a really weird dream that leaves me saying huh?

Interesting that in the dream not only did you have to stay under the water but were "forced" to do so.....yet you remained calm. Has something unexpected come up in your life that you really don't want to deal with yet you are being forced to in a sense? Or possibly your dealing with something in your life in a way that goes against how everyone else thinks you should handle it? Also to me the army represents authority. Is there an issue involving someone who has some sort of authority over you?

Just throwing out some ideas here. I would think about anything that may have been floating around in your head or any unusual events that may have happened the day you had the dream to see if this dream somehow relates.

N1ghts0ng

I had a really weird dream last night, and some parts of it have stood out to me, but I'm not sure what the importance of them could be.

During the dream, I was taking part in some kind of underwater/swimming training - but it wasn't for anything like a swimming class, it was more for training tests and measurements that you would go through to join the army or some kind of a team like that.

There were a few of us (the majority of the others that I remember were men) sitting on the sidelines waiting our turns to go through various tests.. the first couple I don't remember clearly, but I remember that I did very well at them.

The one that stood out to me and that I remember crystal clear was a test to hold your breath/fight of normal drowning reactions. I was brought into the water, told to pick one of two positions on the bottom of the pool to hold onto and the instructor held me under the water. I remember expecting to panic and freak out as if I were drowning, but instead, I was completely calm - to the point where the instructor had to pull me out out of concern (I felt like I still could have stayed under). They'd told me I'd held my breath for 2.25minutes, it had felt like less time to me and I was so calm I almost felt like I was dying without actually going through the drowing process. The time I stayed under/calmness I showed was then sort of the standard for everyone else.

That's the majority of what I remember, but what could that mean? I feel like the part I remember really clearly has some meaning, but I'm not sure what. When I look it up, all I find is that holding your breath is a sign of being "too stubborn"

Does anyone have any ideas?

please allow me to chime in, if i may...

perhaps the water is your dreams reflection of work you are doing of a spiritual/intuitive nature. you have the ability to delve deep and do prolonged work, however, you are advised to "come up for air" and not exhaust yourself. do not push yourself until you've reached your limit, or you may end up gasping for breath, so to speak.

did that make sense? I have the idea in my head, but not so sure if i was able to convey it properly

wulzcat

please allow me to chime in, if i may...

perhaps the water is your dreams reflection of work you are doing of a spiritual/intuitive nature. you have the ability to delve deep and do prolonged work, however, you are advised to "come up for air" and not exhaust yourself. do not push yourself until you've reached your limit, or you may end up gasping for breath, so to speak.

did that make sense? I have the idea in my head, but not so sure if i was able to convey it properly

I think that interpretation makes a lot of sense... I am also interested by the fact that you were calm and felt 'like dying' without going through the drowning process. This makes me think of crossing between astral planes, ie. contacting spirit/higher planes without dying, which may also be part of your spiritual training process? The army suggests that the way you have been studying spirituality is quite structured and 'by the book', but perhaps you are ready for a deeper experience than is offered by the book? That's just my thoughts off the top of my head. :)