What are the top soulmate cards?

littleness

Love is always the hottest discussion when it comes to tarot. I use rider Waite, and when I pull certain cards they scream soulmate to me.

Two of cups
Lovers
Possibly the 10 of cups

Two of cups , to me, reaches out and GRABS ME THE MOST with Re to soulmate connections. Actually, it also represents a twin flame connection to me.

Does anyone have different thoughts? Thoughts in general?:)

ravenest

Yes, I have very different thoughts. For me a card like the Lovers represents the dual nature of the self.

But I also suppose that all depends on what deck one has and how the Lovers card is depicted or described. I find the RW Lovers card fairly bland and hollow visually.

I feel that one's 'soul mate' is our own soul ... (in Jungian terms the anima or animus). Its a journey to find and honour one's own soul.

The journey or lesson is to become whole and re-integrate, that's up to the self or individual. I dont think one should seek for that outside the self and in another person or for a bonding with another until one is also aware of and working on the integration process within the self - this may take time with others and alone with the self. External relationships are often reflections of internal ones.

For me The Lovers Card describes this energy. The 2 of cups, the 'raw energy' in 'nature' that attracts a divided duality. The 10 of cups may represent a successful outcome of all of the above.

nisaba

Whereas my experience leads me to believe differently.

Soulmates exist in clusters, not pairs-only. And they are the different souls you will meet at different stages of your life who challenge you, make you uncomfortable, ride you, drive you to the edge of madness. They are the people who give you the difficult challenges in life, so as to test you and enable you to find new ways of dealing with difficulty. They are the psople who collide their car with yours, putting you in hospital for three months so that your family learn to stand on their own two feet and so that you learn to trust your employees. They are the drunken stepson who beats you up, and pawns everything you own to buy more alcohol. They are the addicts or even the genetically damaged children, who force you to look after them.

Lovers are lovers. Soulmates are the people that kick-start your development. And let's face it - when we're happy and comfortable, we're not developing.

caridwen

Love is always the hottest discussion when it comes to tarot. I use rider Waite, and when I pull certain cards they scream soulmate to me.

Two of cups
Lovers
Possibly the 10 of cups

Two of cups , to me, reaches out and GRABS ME THE MOST with Re to soulmate connections. Actually, it also represents a twin flame connection to me.

Does anyone have different thoughts? Thoughts in general?:)

I'm not sure what a 'soul mate' is and feel a little ill whenever it comes up. Now there is 'twin flame' wth?!

If I were going to use the term soulmate it would probably be Platonic as I love his descriptions of how love came to be in the Sympossium with the eight limbed creatures that roamed earth.

“...and when one of them meets the other half, the actual half of himself, whether he be a lover of youth or a lover of another sort, the pair are lost in an amazement of love and friendship and intimacy and one will not be out of the other's sight, as I may say, even for a moment...”

So for me, the World as that is the ultimate in unity I s'pose.:D

Holly doll

I have an issue what has become an overused used cliche... :rolleyes: "Soul mates" come in many, many differing aspects - soul mates can be a worst enemy - teaching you about inner strength, tolerance or boundaries, soul mates can be a much loved pet, or a teacher from 3rd grade who taught about nature, a soul mate can be the drunk driver who collided with you to spin your life off in a different direction; teaching you to see life from a more present & aware perspective.

I'm with ravenest & nisaba <bowing solemnly toward both luminaries> - we are already whole, so there is little point in pining for our "other half" - we are already complete & enough. All of those soppy cards, faerytales, bodice ripper books, & movies have MUCH to answer for imo... })

ETA - a "soulmate" has a huge implied job description - to "complete, or be the other half" - to be an external "fix all" for something that in reality is an internal issue - involving the individual doing the deep shadow work to uncover why they may not feel "good enough" & needing the external validation provided by others...

GotH

Whereas my experience leads me to believe differently.

Soulmates exist in clusters, not pairs-only. And they are the different souls you will meet at different stages of your life who challenge you, make you uncomfortable, ride you, drive you to the edge of madness. They are the people who give you the difficult challenges in life, so as to test you and enable you to find new ways of dealing with difficulty. They are the psople who collide their car with yours, putting you in hospital for three months so that your family learn to stand on their own two feet and so that you learn to trust your employees. They are the drunken stepson who beats you up, and pawns everything you own to buy more alcohol. They are the addicts or even the genetically damaged children, who force you to look after them.

Lovers are lovers. Soulmates are the people that kick-start your development. And let's face it - when we're happy and comfortable, we're not developing.

Never looked at it like that before but I have to say it did make me view soul mates with a different set of eyes. Especially with the ending statement.. With that said, I don't necessarily believe one has to suffer to develop though.

caridwen

I now get the impression that 'soul mates' can be absolutely anyone we come into contact with who make some kind of mark or impression. So if the postman traps my finger in the letter box, he's my soulmate, if I trip over a foot the owner is my soulmate - it's becoming more bizarre by the minute.:laugh:

I suppose in a sense if we are all joined we are all soulmates irrespective of finger trapping. Confusius said every third person is your teacher so if soulmates are those who teach us something, practically everyone is...

I think there are a few discussions of 'soulmates' in the spirituality forum. There aren't any on our newbie, 'twin flames' (sounds like a made for TV movie:p) so I'm sure it'll be welcomed with open arms:D

Grizabella

I think you're right about the bodice ripper books and movies being the culprit in people believing a romantic soul mate relationship exists. When someone thinks they need a soul mate relationship, I think they have a "happily ever after complex. They believe that somewhere in the world there's this one mate they'll be with blissfully for the rest of their lives, thinking in unison like ice skaters.

The closest I think I've ever come to that was the 15 years I had with my late husband. But our relationship was still full of bumps and wollygoggles all through the 15 years and I'm doing my "happily ever after"...by myself. He passed on in 2000.

Yesterday my kids posted pictures of my first husband and I when we first were married. He left me for someone else and left me to raise our four kids without sending child support. A few years ago he moved back here. Well yesterday when he saw the pictures he texted me about them. This month we'd have celebrated our 50th anniversary if we'd stayed married. To my shock, he told me he was sorry for not having been a help in raising the kids and I made some amends to him, too. That's the kind of thing I usually see in the 2 of cups...the healing of relationships of many kinds and the mending of differences.

The 10 of Cups represents things like that 50th anniversary people who hang in there can celebrate or a well established family who reveres all its members and hangs together as a close unit. It doesn't speak of soul mates to me.

And The Lovers represents a conscious choice to commit to someone or some thing come what may. That's not the picture of soul mates all starry eyed and oblivious striding blissfully off into eternity. It's two people who have made the choice that they're able to commit to a partner through thick and thin even when their breath, armpits and feet stink and they just threw up on your beautiful dress and passed out on top of you on your wedding night.

nisaba

With that said, I don't necessarily believe one has to suffer to develop though.

What incentive do you have to really *strive*, bust-a-gut doing your hardest and running up against your limits, if everything is easy?

ravenest

She does it every day when she works out :)

So apparently the term can mean whatever one wants it to mean, so .... to get back to the OT ... that appears to narrow it down to 78 possible cards.