What do these mean?

katie_here

Reading some threads I've noticed a lot of initials and I'm not sure what they mean.

I noticed RW (rider waite?)

what does LBW RWS Tdm's mean?

thanks

Rusty Neon

RW = RWS = RWCS = Rider Waite Colman Smith deck

PKT = A Pictorial Key to the Tarot (Waite's cryptic book on the RW deck)

Rider was the original publisher. A.E. Waite was the occultist creator. "Pixie" Colman-Smith was the artist.

LWB = little (white) booklet that comes with the deck, even if it's not white

TdM = Tarot de Marseille deck

DM = divinatory meaning

GD = Golden Dawn

OGD = Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn

LS = Lo Scarabeo (publisher)

USG = U.S. Games Inc. (publisher)

EDs = elemental dignities

TOOTK = The Opening of the Key (a multi-step reading method devised by the OGD using EDs)

Rx = reversed
e.g., 7 of Cups Rx = 7 of Cups reversed

Osher

Also:
TotOP Tarot of the Old Path (my main deck BTW (By The Way))

ros

OOP
out of print

Rusty Neon

Quote:Originally posted by ros
OOP
out of print

And there's also HTF (hard to find)

Both of these abbreviations appear frequently on ebay and are used by vendors to describe tarot decks that are not necessarily OOP or HTF. :)

Osher

Or
MIB Men In Black, which means that if you buy the deck, Will Smith and Linda Florentina will...

No, just kidding, it means Mint In Box (pity, Florentina was so hot in The Last Seduction, ah well).

WalesWoman

IMO or IMHO (in my opinion or in my humble opinion)
FWIW For What It's Worth
LOL Laugh Out Loud
ROFLMAO Roll on Floor Laughing My A** Off can add an H Hysterically

KISS Keep It Simple Stupid

jmd

Thankyou katie_here...

This only highlights for me the need to make sure I do not presume that any abbreviations I may use are understood, but are to also be spelled out within my posts for the many within our growing community who may not necessarily read the same threads in which those abbreviations are assumed to be commonly understood.

Another abbreviation which is also used (especially elsewhere) for the deck by Waite and Colman Smith is W-S or W-CS. The appelation 'Rider-Waite' is simply the registered name by US Games for the deck which has its copyright expired - ie, not the deck, but the name is copyright by US Games, and even the Rider publishing company never used the term 'Rider Waite' when it published the deck in its earliest days.

Other names which are at times used to differentiate various Marseille style decks are by the name of the publisher, designer, or that used on a or some cards within the deck - such as Vieville (sometimes Vievil), Dodal, Noblet, Hadar, Camoin (sometimes, and more correctly, the Camoin-Jodorowski), Conver, Piatnik, Fournier, Grimaud, Marteau, Burdel ... & a host of others, at times without the more generic 'MARSEILLE(s)' word attached for those unfamiliar with the tradition to easily identify the same. Again, I will personally have to be careful as I am sure to have been somewhat remiss at times.