What is a Higher Self?

Carla

Ashtaroot said:
Imagine a big cloud, and one drop of moisture is you now. All the other drops are a different combinations of you, but still you different times, realities, lives etc ... All happening in the NOW. It is like connecting to the mothership of what is " YOU".

The mothership "YOU" is very very big can not be contained in one body.

I like that analogy.

214red

Ashtaroot said:
Imagine a big cloud, and one drop of moisture is you now. All the other drops are a different combinations of you, but still you different times, realities, lives etc ... All happening in the NOW. It is like connecting to the mothership of what is " YOU".

The mothership "YOU" is very very big can not be contained in one body.
that is exactly as i see it, a bit like a lava lamp

Milfoil

What a good question!

I guess our perception of what a 'Higher Self' could be depends on what we have read about it, what culture we come from and how it possible affects our life in a recognisable way.

Me - I suppose I consider the higher self as the Divine, sacred part of me which is both within and without me, connecting me to everything else.

moderndayruth

bodhran said:
I just love to see similarities between religions/philosophies.:D I wonder if Jesus was speaking of the same thing when he stated that the kingdom of heaven was "within."
I believe they are all saying exactly the same thing... for which i got bashed on another non-Tarot forums by various fundamentalists... but that's all another story! :p

Richard

Thanks for all the replies. You've given me a lot of food for thought.

photokat

You minus your ego = Higher Self.

For those who are not able to get to the point of ego-loss (also called "ego-death) through meditation etc, it has often been reported that ego loss may occur in an altered state of consciousness, which can be induced naturally through techniques like "Holotropic Breathwork" (http://www.holotropic.com/) as taught by Stanislav Grof, and certain mind altering substances.

The crowned one

I feel for most it pertains to a "external consciousness" of some sort, something better then how they perceive their "normal self".

But for me, all my selfs are just me, and related to my level of consciousness. All I am or can be is contained within me. My higher self is completely integrated into my physical being and exists because I exist. I would say I have more fulfilled-selfs on occasion or higher awarenesses, over a higher self personally.

photokat

The crowned one said:
I feel for most it pertains to a "external consciousness" of some sort, something better then how they perceive their "normal self".

The concept of Universal Consciousness can become crystal clear during a good acid trip.

HOLMES

ah hmm

when i first started out i was confused,,
what was the higher self, the super self, the divine self, the soul, the inner self, the innerchild . etc.

for me i went by what i learned from orin and daben channels sanaya and duane,, as over time they went deeper/higher..
here is their defination.
http://www.orindaben.com/pages/newsletters/soulhs/

Higher Self" is a word Orin uses to define when you, at the personality level, can express your soul's light and the light of the Divine Self through your words, thoughts, actions, and all that you are and do.:

and it goes on to explore more of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_self