What is the origin of the Celtic Cross Spread?

linabeet

Perhaps this post should be in the History Buffs Forum.

I'm teaching about ye olde CCS tonight and I was wondering if anyone knew where or when it originated? Is there a suspected start date or is it part of the great foggy mystery?

MikeTheAltarboy

I've wondered that too. I understand it was first *printed* in Waite's book, but I've wondered where he found it, or if he invented it himself.

kwaw

MikeTheAltarboy said:
I've wondered that too. I understand it was first *printed* in Waite's book, but I've wondered where he found it, or if he invented it himself.

I don't think he invented it himself, I vaguely recall reading that Florence Farr [another GD member] used it, but I can't remember the source for that at the moment. Where Florence Farr got it from or whether she developed it I don't know.

Kwaw

roppo

hi, Kwaw.

The source is perhaps Brodie-Innes as he relates --

"As to the divination or fortune telling, there are many ways of laying out the cards; I have myself been shown over a dozen, and I am persuaded there are more, some of them peculiar to indvidual diviners. The first method described by Mr Waite has long been familiar to me. It was sometimes used among others by Mrs Florence Farr Emery, but the devinatory meanings were entirely different". ("The Tarot Cards" an article of The Occult Review Feb 1919).

I believe the word "Celtic Cross" in this case means "Rosicrucian".

sapienza

I know I'm digging up an old thread here but I've been trying to find out a bit more info on the origins of the Celtic Cross spread. Anyone have any additional thoughts? Thanks :)

BeyondtheVeil

This is a very interesting question.. though I have no idea the answer! lol I look forward to learning more and finding out though.

Thanks for starting this thread! :)

BeyondtheVeil