What would you say is the scariest/creepiest Tarot deck?

DeToX

Whilst not really a proper Tarot deck, Emanations eclipses The Sinister Tarot IMO - contains the entirety of the ST deck plus more of the painter's latter work which is more sophisticated and with more depth. But his earlier work is definitely very immediate! I think you may possibly still be able to find a copy of Emanations at non-traders prices. I think I mentioned Emanations in a similar thread to this, there have been a fair few on dark themed decks.

GlitterNova

The Surrealist Tarot because of THIS CARD:

That's The Fool, btw. Something about that card REALLY freaks me out. I have no problem with otherwise freaky and creepy decks like the H.R. Giger Tarot and the Lost Tarot by Dominic Murphy. In fact, I like those two a lot! There's just something about that Fool card that really makes me go ick.

Also, the Wooden Tarot. These cards, specifically:

Iahm7BN.png

Again, something about the flower-headed animals makes me go ick.

RunningWild

Did anyone mention the Akron Tarot? It's the things nightmares are made of.

Alta

Whilst not really a proper Tarot deck, Emanations eclipses The Sinister Tarot IMO - contains the entirety of the ST deck plus more of the painter's latter work which is more sophisticated and with more depth. But his earlier work is definitely very immediate! I think you may possibly still be able to find a copy of Emanations at non-traders prices. I think I mentioned Emanations in a similar thread to this, there have been a fair few on dark themed decks.
I also have this deck and for creating uneasy feelings this one tops anything that I have ever seen.

Pam O

Liber T is a deck that I like the colouring of, but on the 10 of Cups there is a donkey on top of woman doing her doggy style... no thanks....way too creepy and highly illegal as well.

Freddie

It might not make a difference to you, but that's a scene from The Golden Ass, a 2nd century Latin novel. He's not exactly an ass, but rather a human transformed into an ass. So it's not a random depiction of bestiality but a reference to ancient literature. :)
Laura Borealis, THANK you SO much for this info. I have hated that Liber T - 10 of Cups card. Now I am enlightened with you info!

Tanga

"Creepiest tarot deck"

Interesting what different people find creepy...
I'm enjoying looking through all the different posts and discover that alot of them are ugly rather than creepy for me.

I don't find Vampire/Gothic themes creepy - I'm drawn to the whole vampire idea.
And themes of death, ghosts and skeletons - nope. Body therapist interested in bones here.
Demons and human possession - not overly either. Interested in the whole mythology of demons and all the guardian spirits/djin/daemons etc. that came before them.
I love insects too so I usually like insect images.
The Tarot of the Cat People and the Thoth (mentioned as creepy) are some of my favourite decks - the artwork is highly pleasing - and I particularly like the stark feel of the Cat People deck. It's 'fitting' somehow.
New Orleans Voodoo Tarot? - just ugly.
Sirian starseed - quite like it's 'floatyness'
Alice manga tarot - 'gamine baby-doll' artwork just not my thing.
Wormweird - hmm, interesting. Love that 8 of shadows. wouldn't let that deck anywhere near a querent.
Barbara Walker - very fond of it - one of my 1st decks and the 1st Tarot book that I read.
Atargatis (Princess of wands) is one of my favourite cards there.

I guess 'alien invasion' themes creep me out...

It might not make a difference to you, but that's a scene from The Golden Ass, a 2nd century Latin novel. He's not exactly an ass, but rather a human transformed into an ass. So it's not a random depiction of bestiality but a reference to ancient literature. :)
(in the Liber T deck)

Oh cool - thanks for this Laura Borealis. Good to know the origin of this image in
the Liber T deck. I have it and don't find it creepy - just overtly sexy for my sensibilities. :)

Here's artwork that I find creepy. They're all only major arcanum.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/108220382/halloween-tarot-cards-22-card-major?ref=related-0

The bright contrasting colours are a joy and draw my eye (I like it colourful and bright) - but then I see those mismatched dolls eyes and am transported straight to horror movies with evil murdering dolls in them. So the creeping out comes from this 'tug-of-war' in me.
Huh so that means - possessed humans are ok but possessed dolls are not... interesting...

I'm trying to think if there's a deck I find seriously creepy... I can't come up with one off the top of my head, though. At one time I'd have said the Baphomet, but it doesn't bother me much now.

Yes - looked at those (Geiger). They are creepy. There's that 'alien invasion' thing.

rylla

I am not buying decks that look creepy to me, so I couldn't tell... Some of the decks mentioned here like Thoth, Deviant Moon, Vertigo, Akron I don't find creepy. I quite like them.
My vote for a creepy deck (seen only on the net) goes to the Alchemical Wedding.

Morwenna

:bugeyed: You folks have shown me Creepy that's beyond Creepy!! :bugeyed: