When a reader is instead the querent..?

Raininginwinebottles

Good vague afternoon, everyone!

I have an issue that's honestly making me slightly anxious. Normally, I would consider consulting my cards about it, but I have never been able to read for myself (granted, I am ill-practiced, but I've just never had any luck doing so). The readings always seem scattered, or I feel I'm too hasty and and don't really focus myself before drawing cards, etc. I'm sure more talented readers would say that that's not necessary - your reading is whatever you draw and that's that - but I just can't bring myself to think so. If the cards I draw don't feel right, and don't feel right because I'm not centering and grounding patiently, I just don't think it's going to happen for me.

Anyway, I'm considering asking my husband to try and read/draw for me. While he's not a practiced Tarot reader, he's well-practiced in centering/grounding/meditating. When he does attempt to read, he defaults on intuition (if my understanding is correct, that intuitive readers go based more on how cards make them feel than their asserted meanings), whereas I default on the meanings I've studied and allow for intuition when a card seems to be saying something else.

So let's say my husband does a reading for me. He draws the cards, lays them into a spread. If he reads the cards one way, and I read them another way, resulting in two somewhat different readings, whose reading would you think is more valid? The querent in this case, because of experience; or the reader, because in spite of inexperience, they are the one drawing the cards?

(Another reason I'm confused about how to do this is because, when I'm reading for someone else in person, I allow the querent to draw the cards from a fan, but if I ask my husband to read for me, I feel like it would be better if he drew for me due to my haste).

cSpaceDiva

I think that if you're having your husband do the reading, you need to let him do the reading and try your best to refrain from doing your own interpretation. Of course, as the querent you can still have an open dialogue during the reading and let him know if you think his interpretation is hitting the mark. However, if you are going to use your own interpretation, then you might as well do the reading yourself. Also, keep in mind that if you were doing your own reading, you would have selected different cards.

laurence

I think you complicate things.
You have difficulties reading for yourself, so many will understand that here.
To me It's much much better if the querrent is the drawer of the cards but otherwise I suppose It can work pretty well ( my experience online demonstrates good results) but why would not you draw the cards if you are present??

Now, how much credit do you give to your husband considering his level of experience? Also, he can be emotionally attached to the outcome and would not be so unbiased.

Can't you go to a good tarot card reader with a good reputation?

Regards.

rwcarter

Welcome Raininginwinebottles!

For me, the cards that appear are the ones that the reader needs to see in order to get the proper answer for the querent. You may see card X as meaning wine bottle while your husband sees the same card as meaning purple. So to get to the same interpretation, you and your husband will likely need different cards.

If you feel like you need to interpret the cards, then you should do the reading, not him. It's real easy to "armchair quarterback" but we as readers need to squash the desire to do that when we're getting readings from others. Otherwise, why bother?

Rodney

Farzon

An interesting question! As your husband has experience in grounding maybe he can teach you how!

You already know what is blocking you and why so why not do something about it? A little meditation will do no harm[emoji1]

Apollonia

With something like this, intention is very important to the end result.

I would advise that you state your intention aloud ahead of time, making it very clear who is selecting and reading the cards, and then go with that. So with both of you sitting there, you can say aloud, "This reading is for me. My husband will select and interpret the cards." Or, "This reading is for me. My husband will select the cards, and I will interpret them." Or whatever permutation feels right.

Just be clear ahead of time and then for the interpretation, stick with what you stated.

celticnoodle

raininwinebottles, if you let him read the cards for you--LET HIM READ THE CARDS FOR YOU.

Everyone has their own style. If it works for him--then let it go. Don't try to re-read the cards the way YOU would do so. you wouldn't like it if a customer of yours tried to tell you how to best read their cards, would you? I gather not.

So, let him read your cards the way HE feels is the best way to read them. You may be in for a real surprise and get a fantastic read!

nisaba

I think that if you're having your husband do the reading, you need to let him do the reading and try your best to refrain from doing your own interpretation.

I agree with this. If you are doing the reading, you are doing the interpreting. If he is doing the reading, he is doing the interpreting. If you are going to ride roughshod over whatever he tells you, there's really no point in even starting.