When did you start learning the tarot?

Bowpeepnat

Hey its me bowpeepnat again! , i learnt alot from the " You in the tarot deck" thread i made, and i got alot of posts so thx to all of you who posted in ! and if u havent already, get posting! i read every single one! . Anyway ive made a new thread on a question that seems to spring up quite alot with my freinds.

What age should you start learning the tarot? and more to the point when did u start learning it and how did u come across the tarot! Ive read lots of authors stories which are rele exciting, but lets spread everyone elses! so heres mine...

There is alot of spiritual belief in my family,there are no sceptics. My grandmother reads the tarot for a living, and is one of the most interesting people i have ever met. She has been in circles, and different groups for many years and has told me many stories. If u like, i grew up listenign to them, and was absolutely fasinated. Stories of meeting spirits , and encounters shes had, and works she has done to help people cross over. With that in the back of my mind, i let my childhood take place as usual, with the little glimmer of hope that one day i might be able to contribute to the spirit world, or just have a little taster of somthing my nan spoke so highly of. Now at 15 years old after many experiances with spiritual encounters, i felt the need to begin my journey. My father about a year ago went through his second divorce, and was heartbroken, his wife had decided to leave him for her own reasons. With nowhere else to turn one day he informed me he had brought a tarot deck, and i asked why. He began to tell me about all his spiritual encounters he had as a child but dismissed them, and felt now, after his second failed marriage, he needed spiritual guidance. He began to learn it, and it had an amazing impact on my dad. he later joined meditation groups, soon to start a reiki healing course. I was so proud of my dad. Soon my little glimmer i had from years ago , that yearning to join in , came over me again. And soon i started to notice things, and ghostly things happened in our house, most of my family members encountering them too. My father noticed my keen interest in hearing about his tarot experiances and soon bought me my own. The Rider Waite tarot. I was over the moon. At 14 i was a little worried as to how a 14 year could possbly remmeber meanings for cards so indepth. My father taught me every saturday when i went to see him at his house. I never read a book, just learned the cards and their meanings through listening to my dad talk me through readings. And pretty soon i was well away!, now i know all the meanings, and have adopted using my sixth sense, and now read books for more knowledge!. This soon rubbed off on my mother and step father. I now teach my step father, and my mother, who is very good at psyrometry ? ( i think its spelt like that.) Now we are set to open a spiritual shop later on this year! and after i attend some classes, soon ill be doing tarot readings there!. So thats my story of how i came about the tarot. Now lets hear yours! :)

Lillie

People should start whenever it is right for them.
I suppose it would be different for everyone.

For me, because my parents were very religious, I couldn't until I had left their home. though I had looked at tarot books in the library. Never dared get one out though, just incase they saw it.
There would have been an excorcism! complete with beatings and preachings.
Got to beat that devil out, don't you know!
I got my first deck soon after I got my own flat (age 18) and that's about 24 years ago now. (cos I'm old)

wheeloffortune

Your family sounds quite blessed!

As for me, my situation was simpler. I became Wiccan when I was 12 years old, and when I spied the Tarot decks there, I begged my mother to purchase one for me, and I was elated to have it. I studied and used them for two years, until at age 15, I came to Pentecostal, and then Catholic Christianity.

My friend who brought me to church told me to burn the cards. Of course, still having a very strong connection to the cards, I rather gave them to a Wiccan friend of mine. Oh gosh, I had this big yearning for the cards, that my attitude was very "give it back, the cards are calling me" type towards her. Eventually, enveloped in the beliefs of Catholic Christianity, I soon forgotten Wicca, my magickal self, and the Tarot cards, giving them up to live for Jesus Christ as the Son of God.

(She now is thinking that the Wiccan path is the best for her, and I gave her the Revelations Tarot to help!!)

Since my family were just nominal Catholics (I kept being annoyed at them because of their mixture of superstition and Christianity, Philippine superstitions anyways), I had to search for my burning passion of spirituality elsewhere at 11 years old. So I'm not surprised at all.

When I became Baha'i and discovered its universal and almost relativistic truth that I have never encountered in another religion before, I have no idea, but the cards began calling me again. I soon bought a few decks a week ago, and now I practice as a Baha'i Witch (a Wiccan Baha'i, who works under Baha'i theology and belief under a guise of Wiccan prayer-practice), and use my cards daily, hidden from my family.

They still think I'm a good little Catholic who wished to become a priest. Well, Priesthood, I realise, is not for me, and the Baha'i Faith reflects closer to my beliefs than anything else in the world.

I only take the cards as a form of showing the Will of God in a physical vessel, and that these cards open my subconscious to a different level. Any psychic energy is really to me, the fusion of the soul with God's power in the particular object, and that for me, is the Tarot cards. I'm turning 18 this October, and quite elated with resuming of the practice.

If Jesus used spit to heal people, Moses used a staff to give liberation and another for healing, if the prophet Elisha put his hands on objects to make them full, if all these Prophets of God in their respective times used everyday objects to show God's power, strength, might and His Will, then glory Be to Him that it is through my cards in which He reveals those things to me.

Kenny

Got my first deck about a year ago. Random impulse made me pick it up. I put it down when I got my first set of Runes, soon after I got my first Anglo-Saxon runes. Soon after that I put all of them away.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up my tarot deck and started using it again, then went and brought a couple more decks--now I have three decks and am trying to learn as I do. Also now I am re-using my Anglo-Saxon runes.

Sakura Murasaki

I don't think that there should be a set age. I just read above that one had began reading when one was 12. As long as you can understand the significance of the cards you are holding, then anybody can read at any age.

I had began with Oracle cards when I was 17 years old. And then a few months later, I received my first deck of Tarot cards. I've been reading for almost a year. I came across divination when I was in my preteens, and when I was a church-goer, I had heard that the Tarot cards were evil and of the devil and all that nonsense. But as I grew older and I grew to know more people, I realized on my own that the cards are not a medium for evil, but rather for the human consciousness. We all feel connected to the Tarot because the Tarot has messages that relate to humanity's story, no matter what religion, race, or culture one may come from. :)