When do YOU look for Combinations???

Brock Johnson

I am a student of tarot like many of us and I like to think of myself as pretty skilled when it comes to reading them. My question however seemed to depress my pride when I asked myself, "When should I determine combinations?" I sat here confused wondering if I should just look for the relations between several cards if their positions in a spread were connected (i.e. "future feelings" and "future outcomes").

What do you do? Do you only look for the combinations between cards with similar positions in a spread like me? Or do you try and connect each card? Apart from a lot of the same number, suit, majors, people, and positions, how do you read the combinations or are these it?

I'm very curious because right now, combinations are working very well for me but I'm wondering if there is an alterior method which I should try.

Undoubtedly Curious,

Brock

Little Baron

Hi Brock

I think that there are always the obvious ones. If courts come up in a reading, they can be connected. And sometimes, I might see how they are connected by what stands inbetween them, literally. That something 'inbetween' might be stopping them from getting the best out of each other, or it might be a little bit of advice regarding keeping your distance.

In a spread like the Celtic Cross, I might see if there are any simularities. More than one five, for example. Which suits are present? How do they mix? What does the position say about their either working with or against each other?
There are positions such as 'conscious' and 'unconscious' which also have their own link, so I try and see what the two cards say to each other. Or at least, what the space in between them is saying.

I hope that makes sense and that I have made myself understandable. It is hard to explain, since I am no expert at this either. But I think it is a very interesting question that you have posted and I look forward to others take on this.

Best, LB

Brock Johnson

Well thanks for the quick response LB. I should have been more clear when I asked this question. I was meaning other than obvious ones like a lot of the same number, suit, majors, people. But still, thank you for your insight.

Brock

Knightward

When using a deck such as the Thoth, you can also look for consisant color themes between cards.

Example: 5 and 10 of Disks have a decent amount of yellow in them. This may mean discussion of ideas and concepts in relation to the card. In these cases ideas threatening material secuirty (the five), or ideas and concepts generating wealth (the 10).

Also, if the deck uses Astrolgical you can look at the sign assoicated with each card. If you are getting alot of cards with fixed signs, the situation may take longer to develop or get out of. This is instead of Cardinal (happening soon) and Mutable (changes within the events).

Examples:

Two of Cups is Venus in Cancer.

This may mean the start of a romantic relationship sooner rather then later.

Five of Swords is Venus in Aquarious.

This may mean your passion for something has been anayzled and rejected. The swords in the picture show an inverted pentagram, so the spirit is damped by anything assoicated with Swords or the Sign of Aquarious, and this may very well be a long standing feeling.

The Eight of Swords is Jupiter in Gemini

This may mean you have expanded your thoughts on a subject to such a level that they have become encumbering. You may have so many points of view you have become trapped in logical patterns and are no longer able to see that you can side step these easily of you try.

So if a spread has alot of Mutable, events would be changing, fixed long lasting and cardinal, begining. Those are connections you can look at.

-Fenier

Nuncle

Hi Brock.

As you say, there are the obvious connections or combinations based on meaning of a certain position. In the CC, I look at the future cards together, the past cards together, relate environment/surroundings (card 8) to card 2, hopes and fears to the foundation, the past, etc.

But if the spread is large enough--a minimum of what 7 cards, or maybe 5?-- I look for repeated numbers or series of number, and also at cards of the same suit, and see if they are a combination.

One other thing I've found is that certain spreads seem to generate combinations out of their geometry, so to speak. For example, if a spread is arranged in a grid, I've found it useful to relate the cards in opposite corners. It doesn't always work, but it seems to say something more often than not. Also, if the cards are set up in a position where opposites are created naturally--like in the first 6 cards of a CC--then I look at those as well. How the past relates to future, for example. Also in horseshoe type readings, the cards opposite each other on the two legs of the horseshoe sometimes form an interesting combination.

I've also found in a couple of readings that the art on the card can be a combination. Once, there were five cards in a 10 card spread where there was a repeated motif in the images--lots and lots of vertical lines--and since the theme of the reading was being separated or confined in a way, this seemed to work quite well because the lines developed the overall picture of a fence.

As I work with the cards more, I find that sometimes connecting the cards in a series--especially if there is a logical movement from card to card--really helps. Even in a three card spread you can work on this: in a mind-body-spirit type of thing finding the combination or connection between mind and body, then body and spirit, and then mind and spirit brings many insights. It's also good practice.

That's what I try to do, anyway. Sometimes the combinations are difficult to understand, but it does seem to add depth to the reading.

Hope that helps.

Nuncle

Brock Johnson

Thanks for everyones advice. I've done a couple of spreads in the past hour or so and I'm seeing more combination patterns like you all suggested. I think I might buy a book on it. Not sure though.

Thanks again,

Brock