Where do you draw the line?

Practicing Human

When given readings, will you do a reading on any question or any information, or do you draw a line on some matters?

Some people do not give information on health matters (litigious influence there?). Some will not do readings on pregnancies. Some will refuse to do third-party readings, others will not do readings on/for/regarding children.

What are your positions? Feel free to moderate as needed if I'm rehashing an old topic here.

tarotbear

Since I don't ask the Querent what their question is about before their reading, I cannot draw any lines. Yes, someone here and there has asked about a pregnancy in the years of my readings, and I, of course, am duty-bound to say (afterwards) 'Why ask the cards when you can get an EPT or see a medical doctor?'

Alta

I generally won't do readings on health matters because I don't feel competent to read on them.

gregory

I generally won't do readings on health matters because I don't feel competent to read on them.

I agree (and also I think it's risky - this is life and death stuff ! if someone has a health issue, I'd say go see your doctor) - also I avoid questions about legal matters except things like how will the court case go, as I'd have no idea what I was talking about. I am very iffy about third party readings - and that includes people asking about their own children. my PERSONAL (all mine, others differ) opinion is that it feels intrusive - and that includes children, who also have a right to privacy in my book.

I will read FOR children if I think they know what they are about. A bit like that "informed consent" where children who are deemed fully to understand the issues are allowed to over-rule their parents on medical treatments at times - usually critical care ones - like the 12 year old in the UK who refused any more treatment and her parents took it to court and lost...

But I take tarotbear's point - when you do a general reading, stuff can come up - I'd be inclined to see the advice as see a professional...

Zephyros

I wholly agree, it's almost my only Tarot rule I won't break.

But my other "rule" as it were (I thought of it just recently in a thread asking about keeping objectivity with sitters you already know) is that I cannot actually get involved in what I read, which connects to reading for people like friends and family. If I have an opinion on something, I may say it out of the context of a reading, but I am careful not to actually get involved in what the querent is asking, since I feel it is unfair, me having their ear in a non-equal capacity.

This is why I have declined to read for people for whom I knew that were I to read for them, it would place myself and them in a place I would rather not be, like, for example questions asked by one friend about another, or something like that.

Kosjitov

Will NOT read about health. EVER. EVER EVER EVER! There are doctors for that and I encourage anyone who wants a health reading to seek the appropriate professional. There are other guidelines I will try to follow, but I may be more inclined to do certain types of readings HERE only because I run under the assumption that anyone who gets a reading here knows that readings regarding certain serious matters are not guarantees. In real life, I have flat out refused to read about legal matters, financial decisions, ect ect.

SunChariot

I have definitely had people ask me questions that I wouldn't take on.

I also prefer not to answer medical or legal questions or any type of question that is best answered by someone of another profession. First there are legal issues involved with a reader doing so that I don't want to get involved in and it just doesn't seem right to me. personally.

Although when it comes to something medical it depends on the question. I certainly will not try to diagnose something or tell someone hwo to treat an illness. But I would feel comfortable answering a question on what steps the querent can take to keep themselves in the best health, where the answer might be to excercise more or eat better. That kind of thing is not crossing the border to me.

Defintely not any questions to help someone harm others in any way, like on how to get revenge on somone in the best way.

I would not touch any questions regarding any kind of "dark energy" or negative forces. I actually have had two people so far ask me quesitons of that nature. Something about some dark force/negative spiritual entity that was following them around and they could sense it and wanted to know how to deal with it. I would not touch a question like that,.As a reader I personally want to work only wiht the forces of love and light. I don't want to personally have anythign to do with anything like that.

Any question where I sense the querent is just wanting reassurance that all will be well, but may not be ready to hear anything else that comes up, ...that is iffy. Before I read I would stop and ask them if they are really ready to hear whatever comes up becasue once I ask I can't controll what that answer will be. I once had a co worker ask me if her son would survive the brain operation he was going to have a month later. When she asked I thought ...what if the cards said no, how would she feel the next month knowign that was coming and not being able to prevent it? So I asked her and she said I was right and she would prefer not to know in advance.

Sometimes I think you have to think of that kind of thing. Sometimes you have to make someone think what they are asking and if they are raelly sure they want to know, if you know what I mean.

I don't tend to do yes/no quesitons or timing questions for others. Not for moral issues of course but I do draw a line there, just because I have found that they don't work well for me and I can't be accurate enough using those methods to do it progressionally or for others.

Any questions with a lot of negativity formulated into them. Eg if someone asked "Why is everyone against me?" "Or why is life so hard" To me these will nto give accurate answers anyway as neither is likely based in fact. I might rephrase the questions as "Why do I feel that...." or "Why does it feel to me that...." instead if the querent were willing. But questions based on a really negative suppostions which are not likelyh to be valid the way I see things, I would not do that kind of question as is.

That's all I could think of just now. LOL

Babs