Which spread to use???

HeidiLynn

When I do a reading for myself it can at times take longer to pick the spread to use than it takes to do the reading.
How on earth do you all choose a spread?

Do you have a "go to" spread that you use for all general questions? Maybe another specific spread that you use for just relationship questions or work?

Choosing a spread can be a bit of a problem for me sometimes, or I may just over think it, I really don't know.

How do you decide which spread to use??

RiverRunsDeep

Maybe this should be moved over to the Tarot Spreads area. (???)

Most often, I like to use three card spreads. If I don't feel like dithering about which spread to use, I simply draw three cards and read them in a narrative, storytelling fashion. Someone also posted here several options for three card spreads. You could pick a few favorites as your "go-tos".

Personally, I spent a lot of time perusing the threads in Tarot Spreads, and copied my favorite spreads into a notebook. Then, when I need something more than my usual three card draw, I look in my notebook.

Syri

I also opt for a quick three card spread and read it like a story. :)

Maybe pull a clarifier if I'm a bit confused,but no more than 4 cards usually.

Grizabella

You don't have to use a pre-made spread for your readings. Just think of your topic, break that down into little aspects of the question you're wondering about, and lay out a few cards in each position.

For instance:

You were seeing a guy for awhile and suddenly he stopped communicating and disappeared, treating you in a cool manner if you did run into each other or contacted him. Here are the three things you might read on:

Main question: Why is X suddenly distant?

Related aspects to help answer this main question:

What can I do to re-open communication?

What are the lessons for me in this?

How can I move forward?

I'm pretty lame tonight making this example but maybe you get the idea.

Another example:

You're wondering if moving to another town would help your job prospects. You can ask the cards "what if I do" and "what if I don't" and then put out three cards for each position. Then put out three more cards as "outcome" in each position.

HeidiLynn

Trying to break down a question into different parts is a very good idea.

I have a hard time sometimes trying to make a spread fit what I want to know.

Sometimes a spread makes it easier tho I will still need to find a couple "go to" spreads to use on friends and for practice.

Farzon

Trying to break down a question into different parts is a very good idea.

I have a hard time sometimes trying to make a spread fit what I want to know.

Sometimes a spread makes it easier tho I will still need to find a couple "go to" spreads to use on friends and for practice.

My preferred methods for quick answers in general questions are three-card-spreads or a Tirage en Croix, five cards laid down in the shape of a cross: the first card as your current situation and four cards surrounding it as the energies surrounding you. That one can be adapted with the meanings of the Celtic Cross as well.

Also, take a look at the spreads section here and on other websites. I found Corax.com/tarot a good source for spreads - the Raven's Bridge is my go-to spread for questions about how to resolve a problem, the Newton spread comes in handy for checking potentials and obstacles.

The Celtic Cross is one of the standard spreads but for most questions it will be too much information. I also like to do non positional spreads with seven cards and check for interactions of the cards - but you'll have to figure out new ways of reading those every time.

Nemia

I have a group of true and tried spreads that I made spread maps for - most of them 3 or 4 card spreads.

I also have the Deck of 1000 Spreads which makes it pretty easy to design a spread that suits my question. (The accompanying book is interesting, too - and I also have Power Tarot and Barbara Moore's book about spreads.)

Since I always take pictures of my spreads and journal them in my Evernote tarot file, both solutions make life easier for me. And since I like to use the same spread over time for an ongoing problem, I really get a nice picture of development by using consistent spreads...

So take your time, invest in finding the spreads that give you the most, and document them. Over time, you'll have your repertory and you'll find it easier to enlarge it or adapt spreads.