Why is the 9 of cups the wish card?

BrightEye

That's what keeps going through my head as I'm reading through the recent 9 of cups threads. Does anyone have an answer to this?

mystic mal

I think its a second chance to do something. How many of us say "I wish I had my time over again,I wouldnt have done this or that" so the 9 of cups is the "I wish" card. In the love story of the cups its a second time around card where the second chance is taken on a relationship and its past the testing time with flying colours when the re.union comes about.It is stronger and lasting. Its the "union" or the sacred marraige of our masculine and feminine energies on the inner as well as the outer.

rachelcat

9 of Cups as the wish card is traditional. I don't know what tradition or where it came from, but traditional!

I see the 9s a karma cards--you get what you deserve.

So, since the cups are emotional and usually positive, I think that fits right in with: You deserve and will get what you wish for. Of course, when I see it in a reading, I always think, "be careful what you wish for because you might just get it!"

coyoteblack

9 is an ending, a culmination of a suit/ellement. Cups/water is about those softer emotions.

I think if your cup runneth over with emotions you feel on top of the world . And you can afford to give to others emotionally. this could feel like a wish come true.

willowfox

To me it says satisfaction, and you are usually very satisfied when you have obtained what you wanted, your desire, so your wishes for a happy outcome have come true for you, you are now contented with your lot.

Sulis

I've never thought of it as 'the wish card'.
I think that a card's meaning becomes apparent during a reading because of the context and the question.
Saying 'this is the wish card' is a bit like using a keyword or key phrase - it's not one that I've ever used though.