Would you buy this deck?

rylla

Was wondering if this topic belongs to Tarot Decks category or this one, moderator pls feel free to move it if I posted in the wrong place.

There is an add on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/c-1890-Old-...933941?hash=item3f64507475:g:CzUAAOSwLnBXVMLM

not that I would be tempted at all; I just saw the pictures and it occurred to me that the deck showed in the pics might not even be the original deck. Then I remembered that somebody might buy it with confidence as he/she has the PayPal buyer's protection, thinking that if anything is wrong he/she can recuperate the money from them. I also remembered that when a few years ago I bought a wooden box from eBay I was sent another one (I bought it for a tarot deck but even the dimensions were't the same; the deck did not fit in the box I was sent). So I applied the PayPal, where the decision basically was that I bought a box, I've got a box, period.

According to these experiences, if one buys this deck for over $1000CAN and inside the box isn't the original deck that person very easily can end up with the loss.

If you'd had the money (which isn't a small amount to give out even if you have it) would you risk buying it? Do you think the box includes the original deck?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 124

Debra

I would, and I did--I have two of these. One has the same back design, and the same broken box (my box is more broken). The other has a different back design and no box.

I bought both decks on ebay. I can't recall exactly what I paid for my Grand Etteilla decks, but I believe it was between $100 and $200 apiece. (edited. I orginally thought 200-400, but a friend remembers me paying less, and his memory's sharper than mine).

These decks are really not all that rare--keep your eyes open ;)

I have not and will not do business with this particular ebay seller. I think their prices are unreasonable and I don't like their approach to business. However, they do give a good detailed description of the deck, box, etc. and their photos are clear.

rylla

So do you think is an authentic deck? From c1890?
[personally I couldn't buy it even for $1 as I am allergic to old tarot decks' smell (literally - I get headache right away) so I am just admiring these decks on the net]

Debra

Yes, it looks authentic to me. However, I think the asking price is three, maybe four times what the deck is realistically worth (a greatly inflated price).

Judging by the photos, the box color and structure is the same. My box has a colored version of the front label.

The books look alike--I think mine is in slightly better condition.

The condition seems similar. I've seen other copies of this deck, with the same back.

I have pink and green significator cards, unmarked.

The handwritten guide is a nice feature. My unboxed deck, with tarotee (plaid) backs, has extensive handwriting on the cards themselves, which makes me love it. Mine smell musty :laugh:

The 1890 French tax stamps were in use from 1890-1917, according to Stuart Kaplan (Encyclopedia of Tarot vol 2, p. 238). So the deck might be as "new" as 1917.

100-127 years old--not all that old. I myself am 102.

Nemia

I looked at some of the other decks this seller has on offer. Well, his prices are certainly high.

Just look at this one. You can get it for much cheaper on Amazon *cough, cough*

AJ

I wouldn't but I don't 'collect' anything. I have a 1989 version that is just as lovely and I don't have to worry about harming it when using :)