What's my problem?

mac22

Ok as some of you may know I helped start a readers Co-op the Sacred Grove Co-op [SGC] things are going well - We have a professional group of 15 readers http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=98526&page=1&pp=10&highlight=thang

So what's my problem? Well on the train to Reno lots of folks kept asking me "Are you the Psychic?" Now I don't mind reader, card reader, sensitive, intuitive, medium, seer, etc. But psychic is like nails on a blackboard for me.

Am I the only one or are their others that have a problem with certain terms?

Mac22

Apollonia

Back when I started reading at a shop, I decided that for the sake of my own sanity, I wouldn't worry about how they advertised my services, or what they, or anybody else, called me, as long as they meant it respectfully.

I feel I can't really expect people, who may never have met someone in my line of work in their entire lives before, to know exactly what I want to be called--after all, I'm the "psychic," not them LOL.

And it's not as though we, as a group, have gotten together (like Realtors Capitol R registered trademark) to decide what people should call us.

mac22

Apollonia said:
Back when I started reading at a shop, I decided that for the sake of my own sanity, I wouldn't worry about how they advertised my services, or what they, or anybody else, called me, as long as they meant it respectfully.

I feel I can't really expect people, who may never have met someone in my line of work in their entire lives before, to know exactly what I want to be called--after all, I'm the "psychic," not them LOL.

And it's not as though we, as a group, have gotten together (like Realtors Capitol R registered trademark) to decide what people should call us.

You make good points....perhaps I should just grow a thicker hide...:)

mac22

MareSaturni

I deslike the term 'psychic' too because:

1. Either the sitter will look at me afraid and bug eyed because, omg, i can read his thoughts

2. or he will look at me with that 'what am i thinking? uh? uh? UH?' smirk that just annoys the hell out of me.

Not to mention, it mis-titles my work: i READ TAROT. I don't:

a) guess thoughts
b) read thoughts
c) see dead people
d) hear dead people
e) hear or see ALIVE people who aren't in the room
f) see funny colors around people
g) see nasty shadows behind people
h) hear spiritual guides talking (thought i'm sure they are somewhere sending the messages...i just don't use my ear to listen to it. i use tarot. duh.)
i) hear angels (they must be somewhere up there too?)
j) hear or see ANY supernatural creatures, by the way (not that i think they don't exist, they just don't talk to me).
k) have mind-blowing visions like Cate Blanchett in 'The Gift'. Sorry.
l) Etc etc.

And all! I just read cards, using a bit of knowledge & a bit of intuition...not super sixth sense skills. Besides that, all i can offer is a natural, herb remedy for your aching throat, running nose or ear pain.

I know some people do hear and see things (my Grandma being one of them), but they ARE psychics. I am NOT, i don't like being advertised as such. It's not what i do, i'm sorry i can't be perfect </emo moment>.

See Mac, you aren't alone :D :laugh: :D

mac22

Marina said:
I deslike the term 'psychic' too because:

1. Either the sitter will look at me afraid and bug eyed because, omg, i can read his thoughts

2. or he will look at me with that 'what am i thinking? uh? uh? UH?' smirk that just annoys the hell out of me.

See Mac, you aren't alone :D :laugh: :D

Glad to hear that!!!!

Mac22

Baroli

Mac, when I did a wedding reception, the clients would come up and ask "Do

you tell fortunes like the Gypsies?" Or are you a Gypsy, or the standard, are

you psychic? Now you have to understand,,....my very off the wall sense of

humor usually kicks in and I want to answer them with a fake accent and tell

them they are going to be bit by a werewolf, and then cross myself 90

times. Or 'no I am not psychic, but you have a bunch of dead people

hanging out next to you. People have an odd way of perceiving us. I usually

just let them think whatever, or if need be I will gently correct them.

:D

mac22

Baroli said:
Mac, when I did a wedding reception, the clients would come up and ask "Do

you tell fortunes like the Gypsies?" Or are you a Gypsy, or the standard, are

you psychic? Now you have to understand,,....my very off the wall sense of

humor usually kicks in and I want to answer them with a fake accent and tell

them they are going to be bit by a werewolf, and then cross myself 90

times. Or 'no I am not psychic, but you have a bunch of dead people

hanging out next to you. People have an odd way of perceiving us. I usually

just let them think whatever, or if need be I will gently correct them.

:D

Oh I did the same.... let them think what they like.... I was professional & polite the entire trip, had fun & made $$$ :)

Mac22

MareSaturni

Baroli said:
I want to answer them with a fake accent and tell them they are going to be bit by a werewolf, and then cross myself 90 times. Or 'no I am not psychic, but you have a bunch of dead people hanging out next to you.

OMG Baroli, I'll have to try this out :laugh: :laugh:

I'd love to see their faces when i said: 'Hummmm...something big and dark is sucking your energy *closes eyes, starts trembling and mutters words in a strange language*...i can see...*crosses self*...but for a $100 i can sell you a candle covered with sea salt and sprinkled with holy water and lavender flowers picked during the morning on the last Sunday before the Ester, when Venus was in Capricorn, and it will send all bad spirits away, back into the light! Whadyasay?'.

The problem is that it'll, like...completely destroy my credibility, hehehehehe, so i'll have to wait until Halloween or the next April 1st!

MeeWah

I also do not like the term "psychic" in reference to my services because the term abused & subject to an excess of misperceptions. & because of the type of questions I get, which seems to equate being psychic with being telepathic; a medium &/or endowed with x-ray vision.

Some people obviously get uncomfortable & react as if I can read their every thought; tell them what they had for breakfast, lunch &/or dinner; get messages from deceased family members or others; see through walls;
see them without their clothes. Sometimes I can; however, one does not need to be actively psychic to be discerning or to read body language.

I used to write articles for online magazines & one of them listed me as "a healer" instead of a reader. That suited me just fine, but some of the e-mails were from viewers who were curious & asked the same type of questions.

I prefer either "intuitive counselor" or "fortune-teller" because they describe more accurately what I do. & sometimes, just easier to say "I read cards & other things."

mac22

MeeWah said:
I also do not like the term "psychic" in reference to my services because the term abused & subject to an excess of misperceptions. & because of the type of questions I get, which seems to equate being psychic with being telepathic; a medium &/or endowed with x-ray vision.

Some people obviously get uncomfortable & react as if I can read their every thought; tell them what they had for breakfast, lunch &/or dinner; get messages from deceased family members or others; see through walls;
see them without their clothes. Sometimes I can; however, one does not need to be actively psychic to be discerning or to read body language.

I used to write articles for online magazines & one of them listed me as "a healer" instead of a reader. That suited me just fine, but some of the e-mails were from viewers who were curious & asked the same type of questions.

I prefer either "intuitive counselor" or "fortune-teller" because they describe more accurately what I do. & sometimes, just easier to say "I read cards & other things."

I am so pleased to see I'm not alone of my discomfort over use of the term psychic in reference to card reading....:)

Of course I realize the public is not so careful with their terminology... and I'm fine with that....BUT.... I think Meewah hit the nail on the head for me...thx :) What I really object to is not so much the term itself but, all the time I have to spend with the sitter explaining what I DO NOT DO! .... because of assumptions about what I do and the label psychic in the sitter's mind.

mac22