What's my problem?

ravenest

mac22 said:
Ok as some of you may know I helped start a readers Co-op the Sacred Grove Co-op [SGC] things are going well - We have a professional group of 15 readers http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=98526&page=1&pp=10&highlight=thang

So what's my problem? Well on the train to Reno lots of folks kept asking me "Are you the Psychic?" Now I don't mind reader, card reader, sensitive, intuitive, medium, seer, etc. But psychic is like nails on a blackboard for me.

Am I the only one or are their others that have a problem with certain terms?

Mac22

I used to start each tarot reading by first telling the client I am NOT psychic.

mac22

ravenest said:
I used to start each tarot reading by first telling the client I am NOT psychic.

Interesting....

Mac22

Sulis

ravenest said:

I DO start every reading by telling the client that I'm NOT psychic because I'm not and I don't want people thinking I am.

Grizabella

mac22 said:
What I really object to is not so much the term itself but, all the time I have to spend with the sitter explaining what I DO NOT DO!

Goodness! How long do you take to say, "I'm not psychic"? It's only three little words. :p

Sometimes it's even quicker. If they ask, "Are you psychic?" you just say one tiny word----"no".

Seriously, though, I just keep the explanation to the shortest thing possible. I don't get upset when people think I'm psychic or ask if I am. I understand they might think so or be confused about what being psychic really is. I was in their shoes at one time. In fact, if I were to be totally honest, when I started using the cards, I wanted to capitalize on the fact that people would see me as being psychic and knowing what others can't know. I thought it would be a way to earn some money because I couldn't work anymore and I'm a widow raising grandkids. If I were to now be upset because people ask me if I'm psychic, it would be a form of snobbery, in my opinion, for lack of a better word. Kind of like famous people bitching about paparazzi---if it weren't for their fans lusting after any word of their lives, they wouldn't be so rich and famous, would they? (Not trying to get into a discussion of whether or not paparazzi have a right to dog celebrities, now. Just saying-----)

Pao

no, but really Mac are you psychic??! only joking. next time just say "no, but I CAN see you naked in the shower....you really need to lose some weight" :D

mac22

Grizabella said:
Goodness! How long do you take to say, "I'm not psychic"? It's only three little words. :p

Sometimes it's even quicker. If they ask, "Are you psychic?" you just say one tiny word----"no".

Seriously, though, I just keep the explanation to the shortest thing possible. I don't get upset when people think I'm psychic or ask if I am. I understand they might think so or be confused about what being psychic really is. I was in their shoes at one time. In fact, if I were to be totally honest, when I started using the cards, I wanted to capitalize on the fact that people would see me as being psychic and knowing what others can't know. I thought it would be a way to earn some money because I couldn't work anymore and I'm a widow raising grandkids. If I were to now be upset because people ask me if I'm psychic, it would be a form of snobbery, in my opinion, for lack of a better word. Kind of like famous people bitching about paparazzi---if it weren't for their fans lusting after any word of their lives, they wouldn't be so rich and famous, would they? (Not trying to get into a discussion of whether or not paparazzi have a right to dog celebrities, now. Just saying-----)

You're right of course -- but I've gotten tangled in saying "no" to all the ancillary questions, no- I can't read your thoughts, no- I don't know if your dead relatives have messages for you... etc.

Mac22

dinah1

Now listen here y'all:

We are all psychic - you the reader, and your client also. We are connected to the Psyche - the psyche is us, what we consist of, although we are currently in bodies: I've been at the dictionary:

*Psyche: the human soul, mind, or spirit

Psychic
1: relating to or denoting faculties or phenomena that are apparently inexplicable by natural laws, esp. involving telepathy or clairvoyance :
I could sense it—I must be psychic.

2: of or relating to the soul or mind .*

There is no-one on this earth who hasn't 'sensed' something at some time, in some way.

The cards connect and work with the psyche - your client is with you because deep down they know this and want to consult with it, the only 'thing' that knows them inside-out. Those that fear it are afraid of confronting themselves.

So - don't worry about it - enjoy the fact that you have this connection, be aware of it and rejoice in it. Be happy to be aware of being psychic, knowing who you are and connected to your being! :)

Oh and the answer to people is - yes I'm psychic ~ and so are you... that's what I say anyway :)

If you ain't got a mind or soul to connect with - well then maybe you aren't psychic... :laugh:

Grizabella

I've always "known" things that others don't. The sense has especially gotten heightened since I passed menopause. And the longer I read, the more acute this psychic sense gets. But I don't tell people outright that I'm psychic because that gets me a whole new kettle of fish that I'd rather avoid. In some cases, I do explain that people who are psychic can't perform on command---that we're given what the Universe/God/Higher Power wants us to know at any given time and that's what we pass on to the sitter. And that there are times when we're not supposed to know the answers for that particular sitter and therefore we don't "get" anything. Life is a complex and mysterious thing. It works in wonderful and mysterious ways. We'll never completely understand it.

If you're asked, "are you psychic?" but you don't believe you are, just say no. For me, I give coy answers a lot and then progress with the reading. After all, the reading isn't about us, is it? I like to keep the focus on the sitter.

mac22

Grizabella said:
If you're asked, "are you psychic?" but you don't believe you are, just say no. For me, I give coy answers a lot and then progress with the reading. After all, the reading isn't about us, is it? I like to keep the focus on the sitter.

Agreed!....:))

Mac22

Sheri

The word "psychic" is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me, too!

I think that in my case, it's because of all the bad press you hear about associated with the word... and that I've known a few crazy relatives that claimed to be psychic but weren't -- just crazy. So it came to have a negative feel to it.

That said though, I've considered the word a lot when I was designing my flyers because it seems like the word "psychic" seems to generate more customer interest than terms like "intuitive" the majority of the time.

:love: valeria