What decks do they sell at B&N?

Logiatrix

So, here I am with a gift card for Barnes & Noble, and I haven't a clue as to what to spend it on. Well, of course I'm gonna get a tarot deck, but I don't know much about what's new, or what's available -- especially there at B&N. I practically have the shelves of my favorite haunts memorized, but this is undiscovered terrain.

Seriously, I don't go to Barnes & Noble very often at all. I'm more of a Borders girl, as that one is down the street from me. I did check out a B&N last summer (see, that's how often I go), and I vaguely recall that the tarot selection was somewhat different than Borders. For example, it's pretty much a given that Borders will carry a lot of Lo Scarabeo decks. On the other hand, at B&N, I don't even remember a cabinet of decks at all.

My bibliophile friends have noticed the same thing; the genres they promote and the publishers they keep on the shelves differ between the two chains. That's why I'm trying to think ahead and make the most of this new territory, in case there really is something I should look for.

I tried the website and did a search on tarot decks, but it was hard to tell what is in the store I'll be going to. Anyway, I'd like to keep some titles in mind, be they new-on-the-market, bargain bin, or otherwise. Any suggestions?
:)

September Pixie

I'd have to say it varies from store to store. One may have a large selection of tarot and another just a couple. Our B&N usually carries Shapeshifter, usually one or two of the RW variety (like RW, Robin Wood, Hanson Roberts,etc), Phoenix Oracle and other oracles and they change quite often.. but those are almost always on the shelves.... however at another B&N not too far away, they pretty much have only have a couple on the shelves.

I think you'll just have to go and see whats there! :) But if you tell them the title or ISBN of something you want to buy, they can and will order them for you ;)

karen0205

Hi Logiatrix,
I always forget about the tarot section when I'm in Barnes/Noble.
I find more in my Border's store.

I really don't go in B & N enough to comment on it but now I'm going to have
to in order to see what they have! You could buy a deck you aren't that
crazy about and use it to trade on here for something you like better.

What about on line? Do they have any kind of selection?
Can you use the gift card on line?

You could use the gift card 2 ways, 1: you could sell it on e-bay.
You will probably get about 90% of the value, or you could use it
to buy something else and sell that on e-bay to get the cash to buy
tarot. I've done that.

Promise

Let's see...

The closest B&N to me (a good 45 minute drive!) carries more oracles than Tarot decks, honestly. It may just be a regional thing since Tarot really isn't widely accepted here, but it's something I've noticed. About the only deck they stock consistently is the Universal Waite in the large kit that comes with the Pictorial Key To Tarot whatever book that I can't even understand the first 2 pages of. I believe I've seen the Golden there before, and a few novelty decks, but it's normally hit and miss for me.

Mine doesn't have a cabinet of any kind that they keep decks in, but then again, rural West Texas....

Onyx

Try online?

I think that you can use the B&N giftcards at their online site and I think that just about every deck you can think of may be there.

In stores they card kinda a bland selection but I have to say they are the only ones I have seen that carry a copy of the Voyager. I was sorta surprised.

Onyx.

HearthCricket

Our local B&N's carry very little tarot. They used to carry a nice US games selection and then cards by smaller printers...but rarely an LS deck. Now hardly anything at all. Our local Borders has tons of decks in those locked up glass cabinets and bigger sets on the shelves. You could shop around online for a deck you think you would like, then have B&N order it for you and then use your certificate (just be sure you can use it on special orders, but I believe you can.) They can probably get it within a few days!

tarotberry

i know you can use a borders gift card at their online store...i did last december. with competition the way it is, i doubt barnes & noble is any different. you'll get a MUCH wider selection online...have fun shopping! :D

franniee

Your best bet with b & n is buying online. I have noticed that the stores don't have a large inventory.

celticnoodle

every B & N is different, and so as Franniee mentioned, check it out online. That is your best bet, really. My B & N has a fairly decent supply of tarot decks and a wonderful selection of books as well regarding tarot and other divination tools too.

Silaria

As much as I love B&N, I don't shop there for Tarot. The 3 different B&N stores near me have a pathetic selection of decks. Lately I've seen mostly Doreen Venture Oracle decks, some Chakara cards, Medieval Scapini, Mystic Faerie Tarot, and the SOMETIMES the Goddess Tarot and Rider Waite.

They have a much better selection on their Web Site and you can use your Gift Card there.