What decks do they sell at B&N?

Logiatrix

Well...I went, I saw, I conquered...LOL!:laugh:

'Tis true, the pickings are slim in the tarot deck department. Even among those few choices, there was a lot of Zerner & Farber items and the standard RWS faire. On the other hand, the general metaphysical book selection was very good, and I found a nice book on meditation there.

Then, I went to the "Bargain Books" section, as I remember someone mentioning that here. There, I found the Nigel Suckling Tarot and Simply Tarot Book & Gift Set. I snapped up each one of those and went over to sit down with them and a latte. After a careful perusal of each, I decided on the New Century reprint in the Simply Tarot kit. Actually, even the book looks good; I'm certainly not above a review of basic card meanings. So, at $6.49 each (I know!), I grabbed two.:D

Then, my mom came back to the coffee shop with a book, The Complete New Tarot, by the Brothers Docters Van Leeuwen. It was 75% off the cover price! Mom had found another bargain area, where everything is 75% off...I was doomed! Actually, all things considered, I was a good girl. I found only one other tarot book that looked interesting to me (also at 75% off), The Authentic Tarot, by Thomas Saunders. A leather journal finished off my gift card, and thus my Barnes & Noble adventure.

I already like this re-issue of the New Century Tarot. It's a 2003 edition, so it's probably published in Italy or China (the outer box says China, but there's nothing specific about the deck anywhere). However, though it's glossy, it's not plasticky like other recent USG decks. I wanted to point that out before I got caught up in the images and forgot. Further deck observations will go in the appropriate, most recent deck thread. Everyone was right, though; B&N isn't exactly overflowing with tarot decks...but I was still pleasantly surprised.:love:

GryffinSong

Sounds like you had an excellent time, and made the absolute best use of your gift card. Great shopping!!! :D

afrosaxon

I'm co-signing with others:

B&N for Tarot: :thumbsdown:

Borders for Tarot: :thumbsup:

B&N does seem to have the more popular tarot decks (RWS, Robin Wood) but not the hot ones or new ones. Online is better but moreso for oracles (I found two that I wanted and ordered one of them, but it's so horribly backordered I would have been better off buying it in a store and paying tax and gas. *sigh*).

Borders has a better in-store selection (it's where I purchased my New Orleans Voodoo Tarot over 10 years ago)...but their online inventory is not showing the Deviant Moon (I have a 30% off coupon :D). INterestingly enough, the Deviant is available at Amazon.com (which is affiliated with Borders). Go figure.

T.

Myrrha

Logiatrix said:
'Tis true, the pickings are slim in the tarot deck department. Even among those few choices, there was a lot of Zerner & Farber items and the standard RWS faire.

What is it with B&N and Zerner-Farber? I was just in there and they had a new animal powers meditation kit (could be interesting if you like that style) as well as the Truth Fairy, Goddess Guide Me (actually quite clever although not something I would use), a tarot set with video, a tarot set with book, a set of astrological cards and a divination board. I think it is partly because all these come in big boxes that go on the shelf like a book, and the bright cheerful designs are probably popular.

When I was in Borders the other day (yes I haunt bookstores) a staff person told me that their tarot decks do not sell well at all and that they are "difficult to display". She said that if you are looking for a deck that isn't there ask them because they have lots of decks in the basement that can't fit in the display cabinet. She seemed to feel that that the ones in big boxes that can go right on the shelf sell better than the ones in small boxes that live in the display case.

Logiatrix

Myrrha said:
What is it with B&N and Zerner-Farber? I was just in there and they had a new animal powers meditation kit (could be interesting if you like that style) as well as the Truth Fairy, Goddess Guide Me (actually quite clever although not something I would use), a tarot set with video, a tarot set with book, a set of astrological cards and a divination board. I think it is partly because all these come in big boxes that go on the shelf like a book, and the bright cheerful designs are probably popular.
LOL! Those same items are exactly what I saw the other day!:laugh:

When I was in Borders the other day (yes I haunt bookstores) a staff person told me that their tarot decks do not sell well at all and that they are "difficult to display". She said that if you are looking for a deck that isn't there ask them because they have lots of decks in the basement that can't fit in the display cabinet. She seemed to feel that that the ones in big boxes that can go right on the shelf sell better than the ones in small boxes that live in the display case.
Hmmm. I think I'll ask about that at my local Borders next week (I haunt bookstores, too!;)).

afrosaxon

Myrrha said:
". She seemed to feel that that the ones in big boxes that can go right on the shelf sell better than the ones in small boxes that live in the display case.

I used to work for Borders and Barnes and Noble (hey, I'm an equal opportunity employee :D), and there is some truth to this. Customers like things they can put their hands on and examine right then, and are more likely to buy the same. For cards in a display case--for anyone other than tarot enthusiasts, it would be like a hard sell: the cases are locked, so you have to track down a salesperson with a key (usually a manager), then wait for them to unlock it, then try to look at the deck with them breathing down your neck (because to leave the display case unlocked is a no-no)...the thrill would be gone quickly for anyone other than a tarot lover, and that means no sale. No sale, no profits...that means the most popular and customer-friendly decks are set out first.

T.

Myrrha

afrosaxon said:
I used to work for Borders and Barnes and Noble (hey, I'm an equal opportunity employee :D), and there is some truth to this. Customers like things they can put their hands on and examine right then, and are more likely to buy the same. For cards in a display case--for anyone other than tarot enthusiasts, it would be like a hard sell: the cases are locked, so you have to track down a salesperson with a key (usually a manager), then wait for them to unlock it, then try to look at the deck with them breathing down your neck (because to leave the display case unlocked is a no-no)...the thrill would be gone quickly for anyone other than a tarot lover, and that means no sale. No sale, no profits...that means the most popular and customer-friendly decks are set out first.

T.

That makes sense. I guess that the extra packing materials to make those "deluxe" editions are worth it, since it gets the decks out of the case and onto the shelf. Hooray for Borders for having a case at all and stocking all those Lo Scarabeo decks, which will probably never come in large wasteful packaging.

Tauni, that is really kind of sad since I'm in Boston and you are in Arizona. It just shows you how standardized and homogenous the big chains are. Oh, well. I just miss the real bookstores.

SolSionnach

tarotberry said:
sravana, i think i love you.

:joke::joke::joke::joke::joke:

{{{{tarotberry}}}}
Sometimes you just have to say it! :)

Meow and all that... :)