How to break myself into reading cards again after a long time?

Gemini Rising

After not having used my Tarot cards in probably about a year, I'm finding that I want to start using my cards for guidance again. However, I don't want to start doing long, intricate readings right off the bat. In addition, I've probably forgotten what half the cards mean. What kinds of things should I do to slowly get back into reading? Meditations, simple spreads, I'm open to anything!

Thank you!

Eowyn

Hi Gemini Rising...

I would do a daily 1 card at night, asking about the most important aspect of my day. That helped a lot to me when I started. Also, a 3 cards at the begining of the week.

Also, shuffle and navigate your deck just for the pleasure of enjoying the images, so you can connect with the simbols again.

mysticmanth

I agree with above.
Handle them a lot
Carry them around with you if you can
Put them under your pillow at night
And shuffle shuffle shuffle

Thats all the things i did when i first got mine x

AJ

Offer one card readings here in the forum

Niti

Different methods will work for different people.

I for one, never understood why people urge beginners to draw on so few cards. While one-card readings are insightful to me now, before I was comfortable with the cards, I *had* to do 3-or-more card spreads with at least one card in a place that would reaffirm a meaning, or reinforce my trust in the cards. Furthermore, like reading a book, I always found it easier to piece together multiple cards than to find a whole answer in one card. I have taken several breaks from reading and from each one, I have come back by jumping right in and filling in the gaps with referencing to old study material. A year is a long time, however, and whatever is most comfortable for you is probably right.

I would also recommend card meditations and single-card study. While I'm more of the "jump right into the pool and force yourself to swim" kind of girl, even this method is complemented by study and observation. You can never improve if you think jumping in and flailing about suffices for all purposes.

ilweran

Gemini Rising said:
What kinds of things should I do to slowly get back into reading? Meditations, simple spreads, I'm open to anything!

When I started to want to read again after a long break I started off by comparing the cards of a couple decks and writing down the meanings that jumped out at me from the art. I found it was a good way to re-familiarise myself with the cards. I also started pulling out a card a day and making notes about how it was relevant to the day.

Grizabella

Just get back on the bike! You never forget how to read Tarot just like you never forget how to ride a bike.

MysticHope

Grizabella said:
Just get back on the bike! You never forget how to read Tarot just like you never forget how to ride a bike.

I agree. I may be a newbie at reading tarot, But with anything in my life, once you've done it....you never really forget how to do it. You may be a little rusty around the edges at first-NEVER lose your confidence- and you'll find yourself picking up where you left off before you know it!

good luck to you!

HonestPuck

I would just shuffle your cards and just look at the pictures. Don't pressure yourself to do actual readings if you don't want to. I think pulling one card a day could be helpful, you don't have to "read" the card either, just look at it, and explore your thoughts about that card, and try to carry the image in your mind for the rest of the day. I'm sure it'll come back really quickly.