Cold Reading - Your Thoughts?

KaiMoonshadow

Umbrae brings this up in the "Getting Certified" thread and I wanted to explore it in greater depth...

Cold Reading is often cited by sceptics and critics as "what Tarot readers do" or "what Psychics do". Obviously, I disagree ;)

Many people would apply this to face-to-face readings but I think some people could potentially exploit this online as well (e.g. someone's screen-name, profile or email address).

Obviously, the cold reading techniques used by people like Derren Brown (UK mentalist) and Sylvia Browne in the media don't look very good for Tarot Readers because we tend to get lumped in with other "entertainers" or "psychics".

I have taken a great deal of time to read up on cold reading and the sceptics' views because I want to make sure I don't inadvertantly "cold read" in my readings. I feel it is important to understand the accusations levelled at our profession. I don't think that Tarot can be written off as just a "psychological technique" - cold reading doesn't explain how readers can pull specific details from the cards.

What are your views on Cold Reading? Has it impacted your readings as a professional?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading

Grizabella

Well, with cold readings, I don't think things are pulled from the cards, are they? They're just pulled from things the reader knows from the realm of probability, generalization, body language of the sitter, dress, attitude, clues given by the sitter unwittingly, etc. I'd include opinions of the reader in the list, too.

Alissa

While I enjoyed the few episodes I saw of Derren Brown's "MindControl" there was a segment in one where he set up a fake astrological reading to a group of unsuspecting victims and they were - of course - duped until he revealed it as a cold read at the end.

Afterwards one victim commented how they'd never believe in any psychics or "card readers" ever again. And that hurt me so deeply, I've never watched his show again either.

Cold reading gives real readers a bad name. I despise the practice. I go so far to avoid even accidental cold reading when reading in person that I avoid eye contact and even avoid looking at anything but the palm or cards I'm reading when working. I'm practically phobic about people getting the idea I'm cold reading, it disturbs me so greatly.

Alpha-Omega

I think U cant cold read email readings. Usally cold readers look for clues from the other person, Body laugauge for example. You dont get that from email readings. I do all my readings over email for people. They tell me the issue and some background on it, Then I do the reading and send it to them. and the feedback is really good, So I dont think cold readings are big over emails unless the person is doing a bad job and u can tell its cold reading.

Alpha-Omega

Alissa said:
While I enjoyed the few episodes I saw of Derren Brown's "MindControl" there was a segment in one where he set up a fake astrological reading to a group of unsuspecting victims and they were - of course - duped until he revealed it as a cold read at the end.

Afterwards one victim commented how they'd never believe in any psychics or "card readers" ever again. And that hurt me so deeply, I've never watched his show again either.

Cold reading gives real readers a bad name. I despise the practice. I go so far to avoid even accidental cold reading when reading in person that I avoid eye contact and even avoid looking at anything but the palm or cards I'm reading when working. I'm practically phobic about people getting the idea I'm cold reading, it disturbs me so greatly.

I saw that epiosde as well and it also bothered!! They do make us look bad.

Baroli

Using "tells" as they call it in poker is what a good poker player will do. He watches the other person, his body language, his eyes, if his mouth twitches to see if the person has a strong hand or is bluffing. You find out what your opponent hasand then bet accordingly.

Now, a sitter is not your opponent. He/she is someone who is in need of advice. I don't look at the sitter until I am done with the particular card in the position in the spread, if I am using a spread and then what the situation is. Cold reading just isn't in the quotient for me. It is such an appalling practice, because once you do get that reputation as one, you can never shake it off.

Baroli

Umbrae

Alpha-Omega said:
I think U cant cold read email readings. Usally cold readers look for clues from the other person, Body laugauge for example. You dont get that from email readings

Sure you can. It’s done all the time.

But before I show you, let’s have a chat.

Here’s the problem that most of us have. We (the collectivity here at Aeclectic Tarot) are for the most part a pretty good group of ethical folks. We view the rest of the world as being very similar.

Reality is different. IMO, fully half of the neon’s and shingles out there are hanging in front of Cold Reader’s Studios.

Our competition – isn’t from ourselves, it’s from the frauds. The Tarot/Palmestry world is filled with these folks.

And the public has had it revealed over and over that this type of behavior typifies all Tarot and Palm readers. Folks think cold reading is what we do.

There are some greatly cleaver email ‘fortune telling’ scams out there that (hunt down Sara Freder), that are email cold readings.

When I wrote “In the Camp of the Enemy”, I included a cold reading script. Read the feedback – readers, your compatriots – fell for it.

A good cold reader can give you a hugely accurate reading and you can sit in a box quiet – say nothing, do nothing, not move a muscle.

There’s a new age publishing house that’s published one author’s works (this is another reason I have nothing to do with what comes out of this publishers distribution process), lots and lots of books by him…all kinds of books. You may have one or two.

What they don’t tell you is, about the series of audio CD’s he’s done for magicians on how to be cold readers. I have no respect for him, or the publisher that supports him (and his family, children, and grandchildren).

Cold Reading is big business – and yes – even some “certified readers” even do it. You know why? Cuz there’s money in it. Like robbing banks. And I don’t think it’s ethical.

I remember Major Tom discussing sitting next to a TABI person, who was putting him down (to a sitter) because he was not TABI certified. He started listening. She had the same spiel reading after reading…she was a cold reader.

Cold Readers are the antithesis of everything we believe and hold dear…IMO...I think I'll smoke now...

:smoker:

Umbrae

back from my smoke break...

I just wanted to share this one...
valeria said:
I can't say in words how cool this was to do! I read for Umbrae and he for me. Let me say that I was just a *little* intimidated! :eek: :D What a GREAT teacher!!!

I got new info this morning that blew my mind and I just have to share the reading that Umbrae did for me in more detail...

It was really amazing to have Umbrae read for me! He just came up with a name (I'm not going to use the name here) and it left me speechless :bugeyed: because this name is associated with something I am doing that NO ONE knows about. At the time, I thought the name came up because this *project* is very important to me right now, and I had been getting help from this person... but today, there is a whole new meaning to it... this morning, I discovered I had a message from this person stating she wouldn't be participating anymore. In other words, she QUIT!!! :bugeyed: She wrote the message LAST NIGHT, during the time of our meet! :bugeyed: (to the one email account I hadn't hooked up to my phone(s) yet)

Holy BM with a side of fries!

All I can say is W:bugeyed:W...

Gobsmacking in a GOOD way :D (even though it is associated with me having MORE WORK!!!)

Someone at the table did accuse me of having advanced information (wrong). So was it a cold reading?

Nope.

What was it? Reading. Nothing more. And no I'm not certified.

am I special? No.

Anybody can do this...just takes practice and an open mind (and no books)

Faeryreader

Cold Reading is definitely something to avoid, as you aren't using the cards or your intuition to do the reading. When I read, I pay so much attention to the cards and listen to my intuition, that I barely even look at the client until I'm done telling them the story I see before me.

MareSaturni

I found this thread and decided to bring it back to life because i have a question...how do you KNOW, for sure, that you are not cold reading? I believe some beginners might do a cold reading without noticing - not to get money from the 'victims', but because they don't get enough from the cards yet so they look for 'information' elsewhere. Is that possible?

I see many saying 'nops, i don't cold read' and i believe in them i just want to know...how do you know? How are you so sure? Can't you 'cold read' by accident? Is it possible to isolate yourself so much from the sitter in order to avoid 'catching' anything in the air, any body language...anything?

Just asking.