How do you pronounce CELTIC?

Cactus

Do you pronounce it with a K or an S sound?

A while ago I found myself saying it with a K and then somehow I interjected it with a soft C. Now I end up pausing every time I say the word!

"Um, "K"eltic, or "S"eltic, however you say it.." I really don't feel like stating the name of the Celtic Cross spread. Somehow I get around talking about what spread I will do.

What's common for you and peeps around you?

gregory

Keltic. I am assured by SO, of Irish descent, that that is the correct way.

And I NEVER heard of Seltic Twilight.....

elvenstar

Yep, what she said. Keltic is the correct pronunciation :)

celticnoodle

:p when I saw this thread, I had to respond. Esp. because of my 'name' here, I also fought with this. When I first decided upon my name, I was pronouncing it with like a "K". I had told this to a few family and friends, and they told me I was pronouncing it wrong, that it was a soft "C" sound like an "S". :bugeyed:

well! not wanting to appear ignorant, I began to pronounce it with the "S" sound, and then later someone else told me that iether way is correct! :bugeyed: :rolleyes:

so, since it doesn't really matter how it is pronounced, I've gone back to the hard "C" sound, like a "K". I think it sounds better with the hard "C" sound. so, now, my name here is pronounced "KELTIK - NOODLE" and not "seltik-noodle". The hard "C" sound has a very strong sound to it! I like it!

:D

:heart: celticnoodle :heart:

gregory

Wow - I never saw anywhere "official" that said the S sound was OK. Just looked in all my dictionaries and all agree with the K as the only.... and say it can also but rarely be SPELT with a K - which knocks the S off a bit - you can't pronounce a K S can you - if you see what I mean ?

ETA web research tells me that in IRISH Gaelic, C is always pronounced K - and that this is good, as it distinguishes the word Celtic from "the name of certain football teams" !!!!! Love it !

Jyscal

I've always pronounced it with an S sound, but after hearing of this way, with the backround, it makes alot of sense.

starrystarrynight

Our Boston (Massachusetts) basketball team is Celtics with the S sound. That's the only place I use the soft C. Otherwise, always the hard C (K) sound. In my opinion.

Elrowiel

Hm. I always sad "S"eltic, good to know that it's wrong.
So from now on I will say "K"eltic and will tell everyone who pronounces it the false way. :D

perilune

When I was in Dublin, I heard the word pronounced with the "k" sound. I think unless it's otherwise stated (like starrystarrynight's Boston Celtics example), it should probably be pronounced with the "k" sound.

MysticalMoose

As far as I am aware yes always with a K sound unless......you are talking about the Football Club in Scotland :D then it's a "S" sound :)