Humble Beginnings

Aurelious

I have been studying tarot for about two months, now starting to reply to most threads I read and answering some spreads in Your Readings.

I want to take my practice out into the real world. Perhaps in a few weeks of course, but what are some accepted / successful ways my fellow AT members started out?

tarotmama

I think it's good to start with your friends. Just be careful that you set boundaries else they'll start to take advantage of you!

You can also just go to a quiet coffee shop or a park and sit down with your cards. Inevitably someone will come up to you and strike up a conversation -- wanting a reading. You can offer to do so for free or ask for tips or donations, whatever you're comfortable with. In any case, you'll be getting lots of practice soon enough!

You have to ask for action if that's what you really want!

Grizabella

Don't forget that where you are, in the south, you're going to be getting a lot of Christians who come up and try to save your soul if you're reading out in public, so just be aware of that and be prepared for it.

I just hate that part! It takes me back to my childhood and youth where I was brow-beaten, shamed for being me and hit over the head with the Bible. It doesn't help any that I live in the same town that my late husband's Adventist neice lives in. If I were to go sit in a shop or park, she'd be sure to show up. :rolleyes:

If you can be prepared for them, though, and not let them intimidate you, then coffee shops and parks and other public places are a good idea.

afrosaxon

Grizabella said:
Don't forget that where you are, in the south, you're going to be getting a lot of Christians who come up and try to save your soul if you're reading out in public, so just be aware of that and be prepared for it.

I just hate that part! It takes me back to my childhood and youth where I was brow-beaten, shamed for being me and hit over the head with the Bible. It doesn't help any that I live in the same town that my late husband's Adventist neice lives in. If I were to go sit in a shop or park, she'd be sure to show up. :rolleyes:

If you can be prepared for them, though, and not let them intimidate you, then coffee shops and parks and other public places are a good idea.

I'm having a flashback...

"EXCUSE ME! ARE YOU DOING VOODOO?!"

:rolleyes: :laugh:

BTW, aurelious...this occurred in Carrboro. :D

T.

Aurelious

Heh. That's not too far from where I live. Hope they didn't migrate.

I live with my grandmother who is very religious. While I have not directly told her I deal with "The devil's picture book" I know she is aware that I'm not quite as hardcore as she is...and I thank her for this. I've recently began to show this side of my to my mother. She is approaching a bad time in her life and opening a new realm of life to her may be what she needs.

I have had to deal with religion beating me before, and I knowtypically what to expect and have researched tarot to know that it isn't religiously tied beyond what the artist of the individual deck. And even if I don't 100% factually say some things, it isn't like they're going to go look it up and find me again.

My particular town is small and the only coffee shop is in the historic section of town and frequented by most women at least mid-30s. The park sounds interesting...how would that work? My park has few tables (being splintered picnic tables that my cards shiver at the thought of being put there) and most adults are watching children and anyone else are rambunctious dumb teenagers.

epvitale

afrosaxon said:
I'm having a flashback...

"EXCUSE ME! ARE YOU DOING VOODOO?!"

:rolleyes: :laugh:

BTW, aurelious...this occurred in Carrboro. :D

T.

Oh now that is too funny. Reminds me of a story ...

I was on the bus going to work yesterday and reading 78 Degrees of Wisdom. Some guy on the bus asked what the book was about. I told him Tarot Cards and the first thing out of his mouth was, "Do you believe in Voodoo?" The next question asked was, "Can I tell the future?" He then went on to tell me that God hated psychics and mediums because he is jealous of them.

"Wait," I said. "A omniscient, omnipotent diety with unconditional love for us gets jealous?"
The guy said yes.

I asked if he believes God is omnipotent. He said yes.
I asked if he believes God is omniscient. He said yes.
I asked if he believes we were made in God's image. He said yes.

I then explained to him if God is all seeing, all knowing and all powerful in the macrocosm we call the universe; and we are created in God's image, then it would make sense that we are all seeing, all knowing and all powerful in the microcosm we call our lives. The Tarot was simply a tool the "magic" was inside us.

By the time I got to work he asked me for a reading!!

Gary

nicky

I began with friends family coworkers.. that said you will know which of those groups will be supportive. If your town is small and you anticipate negativity, go the the closest larger town and look for a coffee shop. Your starting readings should be attempted with the best chance of positive encouragement.

Enjoy your journey !

Nicky

Aurelious

epvitale said:

I was on the bus going to work yesterday and reading 78 Degrees of Wisdom. Some guy on the bus asked what the book was about. I told him Tarot Cards and the first thing out of his mouth was, "Do you believe in Voodoo?" The next question asked was, "Can I tell the future?" He then went on to tell me that God hated psychics and mediums because he is jealous of them.

"Wait," I said. "A omniscient, omnipotent diety with unconditional love for us gets jealous?"
The guy said yes.

I then explained to him if God is all seeing, all knowing and all powerful in the macrocosm we call the universe; and we are created in God's image, then it would make sense that we are all seeing, all knowing and all powerful in the microcosm we call our lives. The Tarot was simply a tool the "magic" was inside us.

Gary

This made me smile.

Sophie

Aurelious said:
My particular town is small and the only coffee shop is in the historic section of town and frequented by most women at least mid-30s. The park sounds interesting...how would that work? My park has few tables (being splintered picnic tables that my cards shiver at the thought of being put there) and most adults are watching children and anyone else are rambunctious dumb teenagers.
My own experience in several countries has told me that women in the 35-50 age bracket are the most likely to seek a tarot reading. That coffee shop sounds like a good ground for practice. I wouldn't read in a park hoping for people to pitch up, personally, but I don't know your neck of the woods: it might work there. You can experiment in several locations around where you live, find those that are the most fertile. Don't give up if you get no interest at first.

souljourney

epvitale said:

The guy said yes.

Gary

NICE!!! that is very cool...