Working when you have kids?

tarotmama

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to handle the biz and having kids in your house?

So far I've done mostly online/email/phone readings and I've been good about scheduling for weekends when my husband can watch our toddler... still, I always feel awkward when I answer the phone and my son is squealing in the background, or I have to tell a client that I can't get their reading done right away because my son is sick or something...

Most people are very understanding when I tell them family stuff has come up, but others I think it's a turn off -- that a WAHM/SAHM doesn't mesh with their idea of what a "tarot reader" should be.

I also can't host clients in my home because I just don't want strangers coming in around my children. I get asked this frequently and I also feel very awkward explaining it. There have been other psychics in town who were the "psychic with a shingle" variety, so I think most people in the area are accustomed to going to a readers home. I try to explain that it would be better for us to concentrate on a reading if we went to a coffeeshop instead rather than tripping on blocks and watching my kid run around in circles.

My family comes first, but I feel like there's got to be a better way to balance this. Of course, if I made more $$, I would put him in preschool for half a day or something while I worked... but I really don't see that happening any time soon, honestly.

Does any parents who have actually made it work have any advice or tips?

Grizabella

I don't think hearing kids in the background is a turn-off for customers unless you leave them hanging to tend to a child. Nothing is more rude when you're on the phone with a Mom, whether for a reading or just talking, only to have her suddenly talking to a child and leaving you hanging multiple times.

I'd just do the coffee shop or restaurant thing. You'd be able to get other customers from surrounding customers, too, probably, which would help build a client base.

But if you can get someone to watch your kids while you go out to a coffee shop, why couldn't you get someone to watch them during your work time if you were to do your readings at home? You'd have to get a sitter if you were going to read outside your home, so why not get one while you're there? If you don't want strangers around the kids, then find a babysitter nearby who would take them into their home.

Rev_Vesta

Hi... I understand how difficult this can be with toddlers... it has taken me a long time to be able to offer readings in my home which I have done but takes an hour to clean up before the client arrives lol.... and yes it can be truly be difficult if connecting intuitively , so now as of yesterday I have my own space...... but I find for me it is easier when the kids are at school or daycare or if I am able to ask someone else to watch them for an hr or so....

If you are unable to find a sitter to look after the kids so you can soley concentrate on the client....the next thing would be a kid friendly cafe.... that has a box of toys and books or take plenty along with you......
Another suggestion.. approach a local cafe and ask if you are able to advertise and do readings using their venue.... and eventually if you get enough booked could make it a regular place to work from....... Give them the business ......of coffee, food while the next Client waits for their reading.....

Take time.... to really plan your next move.......
Schedule your time so you are organized........
and my trick up my sleeve, when I client rings and wants to make an appointment that doesn't suit... I just reply... "I am so sorry I would love to be able to do a reading at that time on that day but I am fully booked, am I able to make an appointment for you on this day and this time......
Thank You very much... it just seems the busier I am the busier I get..."

Vesta...

Cactus

I have had this problem for years! I would always wonder HOW in the world other moms do it. But then I realize that their kids are in SCHOOL.

So in my case, preschool was the answer. Because I was a SAHM, I decided that I'd really like tarot to be in my life NOW rather than wait until my kids are in school full time. We had both kids in preschool at age 1.5. They both went only 2 days a week, for a 1/2 day. It was pretty easy on our checkbook and it gave me a break I deserved. Not a frequent huge chunk of time, but it was something.

You need to plan ahead. Preschools need a lot of notice and some have long waiting lists! Most preschools are able to accommodate your wishes for how many days you'd like, which days of the week...

THen once you narrow down your child's school schedule, you can schedule tarot readings during those times only. You'll feel more professional, at peace and in control.

My son is in kindergarten for a FULL day, thank god. My daughter goes to a preschool 2x/week from 9-2. So those two days are my golden days when I am ALONE and can do anything I want.

It really is hard when you have kids. My question now is what do working parents do with young kids during the summer!!??

I mean, how long can camp last? That must cost a fortune! What if a child doesn't want to go to camp? I'm just stumped by where working parents send their kids.

Oh well. For now, my advice is to consider preschool. It will give you a balance between tarot and motherhood. Your child or children will have a balance between socializing w/others, learning, crafts, art, AND home with mom and dad.

Rev_Vesta

Great advice Cactus.........

Daycare even a few hrs a week can give you enough time to book a couple of appointments which is a good starting point until kids do end up at school.....

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and hope soon everything starts moving forward smoothly..

Vesta

Grizabella

It really is hard when you have kids. My question now is what do working parents do with young kids during the summer!!??

I mean, how long can camp last? That must cost a fortune! What if a child doesn't want to go to camp? I'm just stumped by where working parents send their kids.

Not only during summer but any time of year, why not arrange with some other parents to do babysitting swaps? Ask them to babysit for your kids for a couple of hours a couple of days a week and then you babysit theirs in return some other time for an equal length of time.

tarotmama

Grizabella said:
Not only during summer but any time of year, why not arrange with some other parents to do babysitting swaps? Ask them to babysit for your kids for a couple of hours a couple of days a week and then you babysit theirs in return some other time for an equal length of time.

You would think this would work, but in reality it doesn't. I really only know one other family with children that we get along with really well.

It's actually kind of difficult to make friends at the playgroups when you're the town witch. ;) I remember I was at the bookstore and a woman and her daughters were cooing over how adorable my son was when I dropped a book on pagan rosaries... the look on that mother's face! Oiy!

If I lived in a bigger city or a more... er, progressive area it probably wouldn't be so tough.

tarotmama

Rev_Vesta said:
Hi... I understand how difficult this can be with toddlers... it has taken me a long time to be able to offer readings in my home which I have done but takes an hour to clean up before the client arrives lol.... and yes it can be truly be difficult if connecting intuitively , so now as of yesterday I have my own space...... but I find for me it is easier when the kids are at school or daycare or if I am able to ask someone else to watch them for an hr or so....

I'm not comfortable reading while I have to watch my son in any capacity -- even the internet readings I do when my husband is home so I can concentrate fully on the task at hand. I have a feeling that if I really want to move forward with this, I will have to get an "office" of some sort outside of our house -- or find a shop to read in (the pagan bookstore in town shut down :().

Yeah. The hour to clean up... uggh. Not something I want to deal with either.

tarotmama

Cactus said:
You need to plan ahead. Preschools need a lot of notice and some have long waiting lists! Most preschools are able to accommodate your wishes for how many days you'd like, which days of the week...

We are already on a waiting list for a daycare. I know it sounds cold, but I can't wait till they have an opening! I mean, I need a break!

Cactus

No way, Tarotmama, does that sound cold! I (and other moms w/young kids) feel the same exact way.

I need breaks often. Even if, say on the weekend, my husband has stuff to do and I'm on kid duty, I need a break from them frequently. FREQUENTLY!

That's why a while ago I realized I was learning a few things about myself. I started motherhood thinking that I was the SAHM type and wanted to be there every second for my kids.

Then reality hit and I learned about my personality. I am NOT the type of mom who LOVES being around kids all the time and who lives for entertaining kids. I need breaks. I need balance.

I decided that during the summers I will focus on doing something I love that takes me away from the kids. (That would be working at the local spiritual shop doing readings and helping out with other stuff as needed).

During the school year, the local shop closes (it's seasonal and we're in a beach town so the winters are dead around here.) So I'm free to read tarot whenever I want while the kids are in school.

Well, as you can see, I have a lot to say on the kid issue as I'm going through my own thoughts about myself as a mom, as you seem to be, also.

Please don't hold back any concerns. I enjoy reading about moms who are going through similar feelings as me.