Working when you have kids?

satinangel

Having been a WAHM (mine are now 18, 16 and 14) my best recommendation would be to have a small bin of toys, books etc. That your child can only play with while you are on the phone, or needing to tend to some sort of business. This becomes a very special treat for them.

When they get older...get a big stack of rubber erasers and when they are too loud...lob one at them! LOL, Just kidding!!!

I am also one of those that prefers not to have clients in my home. :)

Dancing Bear

tarotmama said:
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to handle the biz and having kids in your house?

So far I've done mostly online/email/phone readings and I've been good about scheduling for weekends when my husband can watch our toddler... still, I always feel awkward when I answer the phone and my son is squealing in the background, or I have to tell a client that I can't get their reading done right away because my son is sick or something...

Most people are very understanding when I tell them family stuff has come up, but others I think it's a turn off -- that a WAHM/SAHM doesn't mesh with their idea of what a "tarot reader" should be.

I also can't host clients in my home because I just don't want strangers coming in around my children. I get asked this frequently and I also feel very awkward explaining it. There have been other psychics in town who were the "psychic with a shingle" variety, so I think most people in the area are accustomed to going to a readers home. I try to explain that it would be better for us to concentrate on a reading if we went to a coffeeshop instead rather than tripping on blocks and watching my kid run around in circles.

My family comes first, but I feel like there's got to be a better way to balance this. Of course, if I made more $$, I would put him in preschool for half a day or something while I worked... but I really don't see that happening any time soon, honestly.

Does any parents who have actually made it work have any advice or tips?

Yes < I made it work...not until after i worked myself into the ground and made my family suffer. I learnt the hard way!!
For one to one readings, I put my youngest into day care twice a week..
and did my readings those days..and with my husband understanding , I also did readings on saturdays..
I found a local centre I was able to hire a room for $10 a day, and only pay for it when i needed it.. This is how i started off..
I do have clients in my home.. BUT!! these are clients i have known for years now..Also I did Tarot Parties, on fridays and or saturday nights..One big huge mistake i did..was book one or two in a week.. I burnt out at the end of the year, not only did my health suffer but so did my quality time with family..
So this year after a welll deserved break.. I will only do a Tarot Party once a month or two.. this suites me fine.. Parties did help also to build up clientelle..
Have an email list,
School holidays < I do evening readings, with existing clients.. (No New ones)
School holidays are normally only for a fortnight.. summer ones here are for about six weeks... just say you are booked out, until such and such a time..they dont need to know the real reason..
If i get a New customer and I have never met them before..and they havent been recommended by an existing client.. I ask for their phone number as I am extremely busy and i will call them within the next day or two with an appointment time.. In the meantime i ring my lady i hire the room out from, and work out a time i can hire the room.. I read from this room because someone else is always there when i do my readings..I then ring the client back with with a couple of options , and book them in...
I would rather pay $10 out of my fee and know i am safe and it gives me the opportunity to assess the client.. I can then assess whether this client always gets read in this room..

I took a long time to establish myself as a professional reader..a lot of leg work , and some mistakes to learn how i should be doing this.. I have 3 young ones... I am lucky this year all 3 are off to school so i have every day through the day for readings now.. they all go back after the long summer break on Tuesday coming.. I have clients booked in already,

Try not think, If you are not booked out, you are failing..
work this business around you! and your family, so if that means you can only see two clients a week... so be it!! "Family First" As your family grows up you will be able to fit more in..
I only did 3 readings in 6 weeks (school holidays) and I appreciated the break..
It is nice to have family time..
as compared to between 50 to 90 readings a week in 2008..
I will never get back to that rediculous amount of clients.. this year is looking after me and spending time with Family..
I have now a limit to 4 readings a week with once a month party.. If I fill that limit all well and good..I wont squeeze just another one in.. I defer them the the following week or two, depends how booked I am,, At the moment their is a 3 week wait.. Clients are all good with that..

Work this around you!!!

If you cant put toddler in day care.. do one reading a week on a saturday morning.. some hairdressers, love Tarot readers and dont mind you using their facilities,a lot already have a room set up! some spirtual centres have rooms you can hire..new age shops etc..
phone around. School holidays.. just dont do any.. have a break!!
Or if you have a girlfriend who is kind enough to help out once a week.. use that day for readings... You dont need to be reading everyday of the week to be a successful reader. You are successful when you are able to help and touch those who you do read for.

Hope that helped a little!!

tarotmama

Dancing Bear that is all wonderful advice, thank you!

I'm still trying to figure out how to balance a professional life with a family life, but I will take to heart all of your suggestions. I would love to find a room I could rent by the day rather than a regular office I'm paying on!

You are right about measuring success by my own pace and happiness too. I get discouraged when I think I'm not doing enough about booking clients, but I do so much other stuff anyway! It is really in my heart to begin my working life now, but I don't have rush full-speed into it now.

Thanks for the very encouraging words!

Cactus

You know, Tarotmama, I understand about being excited to get a move on with tarot! It's so hard with kids and it's hard to feel torn between your motherly duties and satisfying your own desires (and needs).

If you know you need a balance, put it out to the Universe and something will happen that will allow you to move forward with your tarot activities AND provide care for your kids.

This may be in the form of the daycare notifying you that they have an opening for your child. Or another situation may present itself that will free up some of your time.

OR you might start to feel better once you realize what is feasible at this time and what is not.

And remember - in a few years both kids will be in school. That's what kept me going - knowing that I won't be with the kids 24/7 FOREVER! It's hard looking so far into the future. I found that I was able to enjoy my kids more when I remembered that I will have more ME time in the future...it definitely cultivates patience!

Dancing Bear

tarotmama said:
Dancing Bear that is all wonderful advice, thank you!

I'm still trying to figure out how to balance a professional life with a family life, but I will take to heart all of your suggestions. I would love to find a room I could rent by the day rather than a regular office I'm paying on!

You are right about measuring success by my own pace and happiness too. I get discouraged when I think I'm not doing enough about booking clients, but I do so much other stuff anyway! It is really in my heart to begin my working life now, but I don't have rush full-speed into it now.

Thanks for the very encouraging words!

you are more than welcome,
Good luck,
Be sure to let us know how you are going with it all..
because as you start reading regular and you have found that balance, it is addictive.. LOL!! Being a Tarotholic has many facets LOL!!