mugwort

Lysh

Hello! I went to one of my favorite stores today and came across mugwort. I was told that it helps with intuition and psychic abilities. Usually I use sage to cleanse the energy before I work with tarot, but I thought it might be interesting to also burn mugwort to help with my intuitive self. The lady at the store asked if I was going to make a pillow or drink it as tea. I was not planning on it, but as I researched mugwort I found that many people use it to aid in dreams and drink it for medicinal issues as well as for help with psychic abilities. I am not about to ingest this without further research, but I was curious to hear if anyone else had experience with this herb. If so, what did you use it for and how did it help (or not help)?
Thanks!
Lysh

floracove

you can use it safely making a dream pillow.
If you do drink it you have to be very careful of how much or how often you consume it, since it can cause liver problems I do recall someone telling me whenever I caught the mugwort bug.

Cool herb!
Lots of good reading.

Explaining what it does isn't so easy, maybe I should say, it mellowed me out for a bit...

Lysh

Well there are times I need to be mellowed out a bit! ha After more research, I read that consuming it twice a day is okay, just not for prolonged periods of time. I still have to think about that though. For now, I will try burning it when I meditate prior to using my cards. Actually, I think I will try that right now before the day escapes me! Thanks for the input!

floracove

oooh, you can take a sprig and put it inside your tarot bag too if you like...

53rdspirit

I only burn a pinch of mugwort in a blend for specific purposes. Smoldering mugwort smells similar to marijuana. I suggest that if you want to burn mugwort that you do so outdoors or in a well-ventilated room since in enclosed spaces it makes your face go numb and gives your head a rather spaced-out feeling. Mugwort tea is very bitter. If being high makes you feel more intuitive or "psychic," well, there you go.

~53rdspirit

Lysh

53rdspirit said:
I only burn a pinch of mugwort in a blend for specific purposes. Smoldering mugwort smells similar to marijuana. I suggest that if you want to burn mugwort that you do so outdoors or in a well-ventilated room since in enclosed spaces it makes your face go numb and gives your head a rather spaced-out feeling. Mugwort tea is very bitter. If being high makes you feel more intuitive or "psychic," well, there you go.

~53rdspirit

I wish I read this before I burned the mugwort! Our apartment has that left over smell...I probably burned too much!!! I actually felt okay though, I did not feel altered in a 'high' sense, which is fine because that is not my goal. My goal is getting my intuitive self back where it use to be and I know certain oils, crystals, and or herbs can help with that along with meditation. However, I do see that ventilation is needed for the smell alone. It burns well though!

Rev_Vesta

Mugwort....

Mugwort is a brilliant herb but with anything you take it is best done in moderation.....

I have smoked a wee bit in a pipe before a meditation and found it extremly helpful.... I did not find myself high but I did feel very dreamy, sleepy and relaxed........
I certainly approached it with meditation in mind so did not overdo it.. i did not want to fall asleep completely but just to relax my mind enough for a certain meditation I was doing.....

In a tea I would suggestion no more than a teaspoon and add a small amount of honey to take away the bitterness.... I would suggest evening would be the best time...... for this.........

In burning this as an incense.... I would suggest mixing in a motar and pestle a small amount with lavender and white sage.with the Mugwort..(if you add essential oils to the mix leave it to dry for 24 hrs in a sealed jar before using...... and placing only a pinch of the mixture on the charcoals to burn slowly in a well ventilated room.....or outside if working outdoors.......

any herb you use in any circumstance I would suggest to try in moderation .....

always ask before using........

Blessings Vesta...

einhverfr

Mugwort is fairly tame, but anything in excess can kill you. (20 cups of comfrey tea a day? For six months? No wonder it caused liver damage.)

My general recommendation with most plants is do your research before using it daily for an extended period (more than a week or two). If you don't feel great or if drinking it suddenly becomes much more unpleasent, stop taking it, etc. Some people are allergic to it, so if you have other plant allergies, proceed with caution. If you are severely allergic to plants such as ragweed or chrysanthemum, don't use it.

As with all herbs, if you are pregnant, do your research first.

As with all herbs, very high doses can cause all kinds of problems.

I don't see any reason to treat Mugwort with more caution than most herbs however.

floracove

floracove said:
Cool herb!
Lots of good reading.

Just for clarifications sake, the reading I am referring to here is informational reading on the herb mugwort.
I wasn't referring to reading tarot under the influence of mugwort.
:)

Lysh

Yes, research is key. After reading more on the herb I realized that unless you drink a million cups you will probably be okay. I did have a little bit in a cup and I felt fine. It actually helped my stomach feel better! I saw that was a potential medicinal use of the herb.
However, my room still smells like the herb! It is cold, but I still should have opened windows! :)
Thank you for the input on mugwort. I do like to do my research when facing something new, so I appreciate it!