Lazy crafter

NorthernTigress

I'm thinking about finding a nice piece of fabric to make a spread cloth. The trouble is, my sewing machine is in storage right now.

Since a spread cloth only needs to be edged, would using hemming glue or iron-on fusible webbing work? Has anyone tried this? I'm not afraid to admit that I am lazy, especially when it comes to things involving needles. But I don't want something that will look bad or unravel with time.

KSPisces

If you can find a fleece that you like, you don't have to hem it at all!

If you were going for some sort of silk or satin, I would probably do a fusible interfacing (be careful to watch your iron temp though!) just because I'd be afraid that hemming glue would come through.

However, I have never used hemming glue, so I have no basis for that thought. LOL!

shadowdancer

I made a lot of sets comprising of:
large tote bag
x 2 tarot bags
x 2 pendulum bags (really tiny)
double sided spread cloth.

All the spread cloths were double sided using the wonder web stuff which may be called something different depending on where you are from, but it is that white webbing which hems material. It worked perfectly well :)

Davina

PS just to finish it nice I got some thing cord and hand sewed that around the edge just to give it a nice finish.

AJ

I've done a couple that I just cut as on-grain as possible and then pulled about 1/2" of threads from each side for a simple fringe. No seam edge lumps on the sides, easy peasy.

swimming in tarot

A square of FELT in the colour of your choice! No hemming, and you can cut the edges in fancy shapes if you like, and there's no weave to unravel. Craft shops probably have a better selection than fabric stores.

canid

I prefer to sew by hand, dunno why. And my stitches are so small it actually lasts longer than machine stitches. While watching TV in the evening, I've often got some project in my lap I'm working on. But then, I think I may have been Betsy Ross in a past life.:joke: