When a reading just doesn't inspire you...

Maggiemay

Hi everyone,

Did it ever happen to any one of you where a reading just doesn't inspire you?

It's occured to me a few times. Usually, when it's a 'random' spread ( with no specific positions & meanings)

I could just stare at the cards and be so...uninspired to interpret them.

Maggie :)

Briar Rose

Yes, this has happened. Then I re-shuffle the deck, and I am inspired.

Maggiemay

HeavensVault said:
Yes, this has happened. Then I re-shuffle the deck, and I am inspired.

Really? That's good to know. ( I didn't realize we could do that) :)

Any idea why it happens?

ps: Btw, thank you for your post.

SkadisPhoenix

I have whole days like that at times, so I just put aside the deck, and do something else, whether it's tarot related or not (usually it involves playing computer games. :p)

Sulis

I don't think I understand your question. What do you mean by 'doesn't inspire you'?
When I read I usually have a problem that needs to be answered. The cards usually answer that problem. Sometimes I can't see the answer but then it's me, not the cards.

Maggiemay said:
Really? That's good to know. ( I didn't realize we could do that)
You can do anything you like; they're your cards ;).

Miss Divine

Yes, it happened yesterday.
I asked the cards what I could expect for the day.
Drew cards: 8 wands+World+6 cups

It was mostly a slow relaxed day, no action, no messages, no spark of love or passion :joke:, no visiting with friends or hearing from someone from the past.
More of a hermit day!

:D

swimming in tarot

I think I understand your question, but I prefer to have specific placements indicating specific things before I put the cards down, even if I make the spread up on the spot. For example, as I'm shuffling, I think "the first two cards I turn up define the problem, the next two cards suggest approaches to dealing with the problem effectively, and the shadow card at the bottom of the stack is the common denominator, the general mood". That way I know what to relate the cards to. If I'm still stuck, I'll lay the same cards out from a different deck, to see if the different imagery helps unstick my imagination. Seldom am I at a total loss; but I don't see anything wrong with telling the cards "Sorry, I don' understand. Can you tell me again in a different way?" and re-deal. I consider that different from not liking an answer and shuffling for a more pleasant one!

Maggiemay

swimming in tarot said:
(...) I prefer to have specific placements indicating specific things (...) If I'm still stuck, I'll lay the same cards out from a different deck, to see if the different imagery helps unstick my imagination.

That's what I meant; within a context where the cards --in a given spread-- have not been *assigned any specific position's meaning*.

Especially when I'm looking at someone's else's reading, where the spread is 5,6 (or sometimes more), cards long -and- have no position meaning, - AND on top of that are supposed to be answering a broad question, then it's very easy for me to draw a 'blank'

I was just curious if any of you had ever experienced that.

That being said, I like the advice about picturing the card with a different tarot style in mind -- and/or-- to just plainly give my mind a rest by doing something not tarot related.

Thank you for your input everyone & my apologies if my post wasn't clear.

ps: I have a guilt trip when I want to re-shuffle my cards b/c I did not understand what the Tarot said the first time. I feel like I'm cheating.( weird, I know!) lol

Yellow_Munky

oh it has happened to my numerous time!! that only happens when I don't feel in the mood to do a reading and that the only reason why i do the reading is because I promise to do a reading for somebody.

when i "force" myself to do a reading, i know that the outcome of the reading will be very inaccurate and horrible. BUT, when i feel in the mood, like last night, the reading tends to be pretty accurate.

SunChariot

Well if the question felt important enough to me (or the the querent) to do a reading on, then it is important to find out the answer. That, for me, is where the inspiration comes for. There is a problem that needs solving and the cards that come up are the answer.

That being said I don't like to put the cards back, reshuffle and start again either. I feel like right cards always come up and if he just put them back we are losing some wisdom we are meant to have. IF I don't understand some cards in the reading, for myself I tend to pull clarifiers for them, rather than starting over.

Although I suppose rules are made to be broken. LOL I have on occasion been so unhappy with cards that came up that I instincitively put them back and started over. It never works for me though because the second time I am in doubt as I knew I threw away some wisdom and I feel guilty and the next cards tend to be nonsense cards. Like I am being told, "we already told you your answer and you don't want to listen. We'll talk to you again when you are ready to listen."

Babs