need a point in the right direction re; Egyptian studies.

Dancing Bear

What i am looking for is one; a study group to join up.. cant find one in here , may have missed it though..
and two; more books to read on Egyptian symbolism and the Tarot...

and in the middle of reading Velikovsky's "Rameses ll and his time"
and many other books I have read, that i could possibly get hold of over the years and read about the different Pharoahs and their Queens.
and i have studied middle egyptian heiroglyph. and still studying LOL! much to learn. :p
I am looking for factual books really or reference books. relating to egyptian symbolism and the tarot.

I am in the middle of a decision to buy two decks and may even just do it.. and buy both.. being the Ancient Egyptian deck and the
Egyptian Deck by Lo Scarabeo
I am finding the Lo Scarabeo has better detail and more heiroglyph in which do say something actually and they are not just decoration...which better suits me..not that i am a fan of Lo Scarabeo decks really.. but this one seems not too bad.. I know i will trim it LOL!! and same as the Ancient Egyptian Deck those borders will really get to me in time. and that one seems a bit expensive to cut away at though LOL!!

Also Is the Book of Thoth worth a read? I have it, but havent picked it up yet :rolleyes:

can anyone help me in any of these areas Please?

Dancing Bear

I have just been googling and found this book

The sacred tradition in ancient Egypt By Rosemary Clark

Is it any good?
and asking for a lot here, but does anyone one know of a good online Australian bookstore.. Dymocks is not one of them LOL!! I am sure they think all their books have 24ct gold lettering LOL!!

GeorgiePorgie

Hi DB,

Well, online bookstores in Australia. Can't really give you one, prices are mad.

In all honesty, if you can find anything you want through bookdepository.co.uk - then order from them, shipping is free to Oz and it takes no time at all to receive them. Fastest to me has been 4 days, slowest was 11 days.

I've got a couple of symbology books and one particular Ancient Egyptian book, I will rustle up the details for you as soon as I put my three peeps to bed.

nisaba

E. Wallace Budge is quite possibly the best authority in the world, with huge, scholarly volumes of work jam-packed with hard facts and little or no new age waffle.

There's also a little gem of a book out, I haven't got it in front of me now, called something like "Recipes and Spells from Ancient Egypt". I don't remember the editor's name - the spells were all taken from extant parchments or graffiti on tomb walls and grave-goods. I do remember (why, I wouldn't know) that the publisher used the name "Nisaba" as a part of their branding. I picked it up 20-something years ago, out of outrage that a publisher use my name, and it's excellent.

One thing it *did* clear up for me was the origin of the expression "the hair of the dog" as a reference to using a hangover as an excuse to continue drinking.

Would you believe it, that there's a recipe for a cure for a hangover which from memory involves having a priest chant certain phrases, then the patient drink a brew consisting of mother's milk, Nile-water taken from the river on a low tide, faeces and ... and ... and ... three hairs taken from the hind leg of a jackel! (wild dog).

Dancing Bear

nisaba said:
Would you believe it, that there's a recipe for a cure for a hangover which from memory involves having a priest chant certain phrases, then the patient drink a brew consisting of mother's milk, Nile-water taken from the river on a low tide, faeces and ... and ... and ... three hairs taken from the hind leg of a jackel! (wild dog).

My gosh , knowing what is in that brew woudl sober anyone up quite smart, just so they didnt have to drink it LOL!! Faeces ! ICK!! that made me want to heave LOL!!

Thanks for all your info too :)

Dancing Bear

Alta said:
The BOTA deck is also based on Egyptian symbols. I just bought a copy last weekend and find it very interesting.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/egyptian/index.shtml#cards

The version shown above may be older. My copy has cleaner images and the background is crisp white.

hey Alta
I had a look at that deck too LOL! !there are so many out there..
I ended up buying the Ancient Egyptian deck..
I also like the Egyptian Tarot from Lo Scarabeo.. It has loads of heiroglyph too!! choices choices huh!! LOL!!

I keep having to remind myself "I am not a Tarotholic" I am not a Tarotholic" LOL!! My husband disagrees LOL!!

Thanks for trying to help me :D

GeorgiePorgie

Dancing Bear said:
Thanks GP..
That Bookstore will come in handy :D is that in GBPounds?
or Euro? I never can tell LOL!!

that site looks interesting too..Thank you so much for your help..

DB xx
I have it showing in GBP, but there is a tool to the top left of screen that allows you to change the currency listed. I just checked and it lets you view $ in American Dollars, GBP or Euro. And I have a desktop tool that converts the currency to Aussie bucks but you can do that at www.xe.com to check out your prices. :thumbsup: