In a reading funk

Annabelle

It's annoying. I have a room full of decks (literally), yet very little ability to read tarot cards these days. It's not for lack of trying, but my brain just can't get "into" it . . . I've had problems for at least 6 months now.

Tonight I took a couple of decks with me to a friend's house, and did readings for several people, but it was all I could do not to apologize for how crappy they turned out. My darling significant other was my saving grace - when he saw that I was struggling and drawing a blank, he pitched in. He's actually an astoundingly good reader, but rarely wants to read the cards. Anyway, I digress . . .

By posting about this, I'm not asking for virtual hugs or for brilliant answers - I'm just venting a bit. It bugs me, because I love tarot, and I love hanging out here on the forum . . . but I feel as if I've lost all the skill/ability/whatever-you-want-to-call-it that I had at one point.

Ever happened to anyone else?

thorhammer

This has happened to me, Annabelle - I think I even posted about it :) and if you look hard enough, I think you'll find a lot of threads all started by different people about the self-same thing. I found that it's more a cyclic thing than anything else, and it seems to me to be your Self demanding that you rest, recuperate, and fill up that store of energy and wisdom inside before trying to give of it to others any more.

It wans, after not too long. But like when you're physically ill, the more you try to push through it and wear yourself out, the longer it will last. Love yourself, accept that it's a phase you'll come out of, and shift your focus elsewhere for a time, and the "illness" passes much mroe quickly as the recovery takes root.

And here's a virtual hug anyway (((Annabelle))) :) coz I know it sux . . .

\m/ Kat

stefficus

i've actually been going through this lately with writer's block, but i'd started to notice it spilling over a bit into tarot reading, too. after all, i write out the vaaaaast majority of my readings, and the parts of the brain it taps into overlap. i was still at the point where i was more concerned about my writing and still reading cards about as often, but i'd noticed.

i'd tumbled around to the fact that part of the problem with writing was that i hadn't refilled the well in a long time. i refill with reading way too many books, walking in graveyards, listening to conversations in diners... anything that feeds me and gives me ideas rather than having me string them together or make them up out of thin air. the analagous tarot activities might be having others read for you, reading any of the hundreds of tarot books out there, knitting, people-watching... i mean, really, anything that gives you the feeling of soaking up or having an experience to feed your intuition. and journaling is good for both of those things and more, which i thought of as a "duh" statement, just tired, trite advice - until i realized i'd stopped doing it. heh.

funny thing is, as soon as i realized that and started to do more reading and make some jewelry and catch up on friends' blogs, i started writing again without pushing it, WHILE i was/am filling up. your mileage will certainly vary, and while i'm making a suggestion i'm not offering brilliant advice or expecting that it'd have the same effect on you or even that you haven't tried something similar.

but. i DO know how you feel, even with tarot specifically. we probably all do. it's absolutely maddening. and if i, who have only been reading cards for a couple of years, have run into this and been irked by it, someone who's more experienced has got to be flat out exasperated when it happens to them. but it's a cycle... ebb and flow, push and pull, inhale and exhale... fill and spill. :D

easy does it. you'll get lots of stories on this thread, i'm sure.

nisaba

Annabelle said:
It's annoying. I have a room full of decks (literally), yet very little ability to read tarot cards these days.

Ever happened to anyone else?
Don't beat yourself up about it.

We all go through stages.

Often, having your inner guides, your magic cut off, is a kind of trial-by-fire of you as a human being. Perhaps there are more important things in your life at the moment than Tarot, or perhaps you're meant to be flying blind for a few weeks, months or years.

Whatever you do, don't get rid of your decks. If you must, box them up and put them away. One day it will just be right to pull them out again. In the meantime, don't force it.

Alta

Hi Annabelle, yes, for me as well. Interests are cyclical, even things at your heart you really love. You probably just have things/persons that are taking more of your attention. It comes back. :)

Alta

emmsma

Been going through this as well, right now. Life has gotten really busy for me - I am working on improving that - and I just don't find I have time and energy to read. At least not at the same time. I want to read, but don't often get around to it, or by the time the house settles down and I do have the time, I'm too beat to focus enough.

I know I will get back to it. I keep the decks I most want to play with handy. When I get a moment I can draw a card, or just browse through the decks.

I'm not letting myself worry or feel guilty about it. I've been here before. I know it will pass.

Lilija

Also, hanging out here helps. I went through a short funk recently myself, and even drew away from AT for a month or so. Coming back here and just poking around brought me back into it. It's a way to keep close to the cards and the ideas without actually reading with them.

Eventually, instead of trying to force myself, I wound up really craving my cards.

Annabelle

Thanks, everyone, for all the responses so far!!

Nisaba, no, I'm definitely not going to sell anything . . . I'm not a seller, I'm a buyer. Even if I never did a tarot reading again in my life, I still love my collection :).

Stefficus - I like your idea about refilling. Makes a lot of sense.

HighPriestesss

Yep, it happened to me. I was doing readings last October and doing really well. Then, in December, I got a call from someone who wanted another one, but I was going thru this phase. I politely told her I hadn't read in a while, felt rusty, but when I got back into it, I'd give her a call!

I just did her reading about three weeks ago! :)

FORTUNATELY, I really feel like the break boosted my reading skills. I picked up a deck I hardly used, and my intuition really woke up with it! I learned with that experience to throw away the LWB!

balenciaga

It has happened to me, and when it does, I blame the planets:) It is Neptune's fault when I am not tuned in.
Anyhoo, I agree with the others who said that your mind might be focused on practical-sided issues. When your intellect is busy gathering facts, etc, tarot is harder to do. It is as if you need that dreamy space around you so your mind can get creative. It is similar to the artistic space, that creative impulse. Free-association needs the mind to be unhindered by practical concerns.