Is fanning powder posionous? *cough*

Lilija

I just powdered 3 decks in a row. My fingers are white, my shirt looks like I've been eating powdered donuts all day, my kitchen is finely dusted (or is that un-dusted?). This stuff is great! The cards are velvet! I wonder if I'm gonna die from breathing so much in...

Grizabella

I'm sure it's toxic. I'd recommend wearing some kind of mask while using it. But---ummmm----you didn't ask me first. :p Look it up online and see what you can find about the negative effects of breathing it.

Lilija

I really should ask you guys first!

I think I'm ok, the air cleared pretty quick, and I managed to go for a brisk walk without keeling over. My cards are happy though, they're like buttah, now.

Debra

There's no hazardous chemical warning on the label.

The FDA and other sites say that chronic exposure (inadequately protected workers) can be hazardous. Otherwise it's just coughing.

I use it by putting some in a small paper or plastic bag, adding five or six cards, closing the bag, shaking it gently, removing the cards, wiping them down gently.

Lilija

Mine didn't have a label, but I didn't think to look online, so I appreciate the info. I did my cards the exact same way, but I think my paper bag had a pinhole.

AJ

Fanning powder has 42 calories but 0 fat per inhale.
I assume you Will be logging those calories?

:)

Lilija

Ahaha, cute. Not my first choice in snacking! I'd rather have the imaginary powdered donuts! Don't tell the sparkies ;)

But, I think my cat should, I caught him licking the powder off the outside of the bag >.>

nisaba

It has zinc stearate in it - I have no idea what "stearate" is or its health implications, but zinc, while toxic in very large regular doses, is a necessary nutrient, and since the degradations of most of the soils our food it grown on, most of the world's population is running at a slight zinc deficiency (it is implicated in a big way in colds and flu, depression, cancer and all sorts of other things that are becoming a lot more frequent than they used to be).

Perhaps it tastes attractive to your cat because whatever you feed him isn't all that rich in naturally occurring zinc. I know that about the largest source of zinc in my diet is oysters, which are very rich in the stuff indeed - but I haven't eaten oysters in over two years. <sigh>

Perhaps I should eat fanning powder.

Baroli

Are you still breathing? Then I guess it isn't toxic,...........yet. })

ETA: You probably have as much chance of keeling over from fanning powder as you do from being hit by a meteor today.

However do keep the kitty away from the powder,...

Grizabella

Zinc stearate isn't necessarily the same zinc we need in our diet. Here's one description of its uses:

Zinc Stearate is used as a stabilizer for plastics with co-stabilizer of Ba-Cd soap. It is also used as a plasticizer in plastic industry as well as in cosmetics. It is used as a flatting and sanding agent in lacquers, coatings & inks. It is applied in tablet manufacturing. It is used as a drying lubricant and dusting agent for rubbers. It is used as a catalyst in chemical synthesis. It is used as a waterproofing additive in concrete, rockwool, textiles and paper.