Disclaimers and Looking to the Future

3crows

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the Professional Tarot forum, and really love reading everybody's wisdom and advice. I have a 3-part question. It's my very first fair, and I'm reading from 9-3. I'm nervous as hell- so....

1. Is it okay to put out a disclaimer (in a friendly way) that explains that my reading is not a psychic reading, but a card reading? I'm nervous about the idea of people sitting down to play "stump the psychic" when I'm not even a psychic. I do use my intuition blended with tradition, and I'm clairvoyant and can often see auras which might add to the reading. But I am not psychic.

2. This leads to another idea- I feel most comfortable creating spreads that look to the future...for obvious readings. Its more about how to move on, and not so much about whether or not I "got it right" by telling them what just happened in their past, what they are doing now, etc. I hate trying to tell people what they already know- ie. "so- its says here that you have a dog named fluffy, and you are in school now." Yes. "and your husband just got a promotion." yes. well, great, but they already know that.

So... my favorite spread (and tell me if this is appropriate for a 10 minute reading) is an elemental spread- which suggests what to look for in different areas of their lives. The card in the north is about health/money. The card in the east is about communication and information/mental energy. The card in the south is about the Will and creativity. The card in the west is about relationships. Then one in the middle for spirit.

So I would be saying something like..."this card is the 10 of wands. It suggests that you take care not to pile too many things on your plate, There might be a tendency to get burned out- etc. etc." so its more about what to look for, what needs attention right now.

any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!

214red

3crows said:
1. Is it okay to put out a disclaimer (in a friendly way) that explains that my reading is not a psychic reading, but a card reading? I'm nervous about the idea of people sitting down to play "stump the psychic" when I'm not even a psychic. I do use my intuition blended with tradition, and I'm clairvoyant and can often see auras which might add to the reading. But I am not psychic.
sorry to say this, but you are psychic if not you couldnt see aura! however a disclaimer on the table will help clarify what you do, i would say that you leave psychic out of it if you dont feel comfortable using it, and instead outline how you do a reading

3crows said:
2. This leads to another idea- I feel most comfortable creating spreads that look to the future...for obvious readings. Its more about how to move on, and not so much about whether or not I "got it right" by telling them what just happened in their past, what they are doing now, etc. I hate trying to tell people what they already know- ie. "so- its says here that you have a dog named fluffy, and you are in school now." Yes. "and your husband just got a promotion." yes. well, great, but they already know that. .
i usually like to say something about the current and or past, because it helps the client know you understand the situation, i would find it hard to take advice from someone unless they kind of prove that they know what they are talking about. i tend to like 3 card past present and futures spreads for the initial starting point as it helps the reading, i dont dwell on the past, but sometimes the past is the problem...this all depends on the feel of the cards

3crows said:
So... my favorite spread (and tell me if this is appropriate for a 10 minute reading) is an elemental spread- which suggests what to look for in different areas of their lives. The card in the north is about health/money. The card in the east is about communication and information/mental energy. The card in the south is about the Will and creativity. The card in the west is about relationships. Then one in the middle for spirit. .
i would test it by timing yourself, allowing times for interaction with the person and their questions.

3crows said:
So I would be saying something like..."this card is the 10 of wands. It suggests that you take care not to pile too many things on your plate, There might be a tendency to get burned out- etc. etc." so its more about what to look for, what needs attention right now.

any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!
does the reader need to know what the card is? the reason i say that is because some people find that by saying the card you are waffling and its eating into their time. I would explain about the card but not use the name, but thats personal preference

good luck

HighPriestesss

3crows, I know exactly what you're saying! While recently working for a meta shop, their (true) psychic would reveal to sitters things the client already knew. And IMO, I thought to myself, why do these people repeatedly come in to pay big bucks to be told things they already know? Sure, they confirm it and the psychic beams with pride and joy. But what about the sitter? What did THEY gain by the reading?

I'm not a psychic either. I read the cards, and only touch on the past briefly...very briefly, as 214red mentioned so as to hit a nerve to 'anchor' what else I'm about to say. There are times, yes, when the sitter can't relate to that. Maybe it's their memory going. Or maybe I was way off. Who knows! lol

Getting back to your fair...congrats by the way! I've yet to do one.

When I read at a public establishment, my signs all say "Tarot Readings by" with my name. Nowhere will you ever see the word 'psychic' and when asked, I say no. But I've found that, in general, people assume it's one in the same. So what can ya do?

I'm still trying to find a spread that I'm comfortable with, as the CC doesn't feel right at times. Wish I could help you more on your plan there... Does the element spread work really well for you? With only 5 cards, I would cruise through those pretty fast, but that's just me. When I do 10-minute readings, I usually throw 10 cards and allow them to ask a question or two at the end, and throw 3 more.

MareSaturni

Hum...

You might find out that people actually enjoy hearing something about the past. So they can, inside their heads, verify whether you are a good reader for them or not. (for them not in general)

Of course, a reading just about the past might not be very useful unless you wish to figure out something that happened a while ago but that somehow remains mysterious to you. Tarot can be used to probe into the past. And it gives you the most interesting ideas.

A present reading is wonderful! It's full of things thee sitters know. but also full of possibilities they are unaware of! Don't dismiss the potential of the present position! Everything in the future derives from the "now".

The future...is the usually the goal of many readings, and many sitters just want this particular information. That's where you'll throw your party, since you enjoy doing it. For me, the future is always a possibility...always being shaped. And i always tell this to my sitters.

So, feel free to focus on the future and enchant your sitter with some "right on the bullet" predictions :D. But do not underestimate the past and the present positions.

You may tell them what they already know, yeah, but you may also find out that they dropped out of school and that their CAT is named Saturn (and that dogs actually throw them into anaphylactic shock). And then they probably won't give a damn about the future you predict for them.

Umbrae

3crows said:
... It's my very first fair, and I'm reading from 9-3. I'm nervous as hell- so....
This is opinion, you mileage may vary.

I don't think you have to apologize or have a disclaimer up front. You are what you are what you are. You can simply state 'I do readings that show current blockages and paths into the future' or something that better applies. Tell folks what you DO do, not what you don't do. Tell them not about the features (10 cards in the shape of a Fender-Stratocaster, you pull the eleventh for the waa-waa bar), but the benefits - my readings benefit you in this way...

As to readers who do revelations regarding the past, in the sitters mind – it validates the remainder of the reading (validation provides the appearance of accuracy (but is not the same as accuracy) even if it’s horrid, and way off target. The more about he past they appear to reveal, the better the chances of upselling other items.

Stick with what you do. Make no apologies. Truth shines.

Gypsyspell

I really agree with what Umbrae has said.

I think putting up a disclaimer may also give the impression of a lack of confidence.(and may create a problem by that awareness than eleveating it).

I have also heard they are not of a great value if someone does decides to get nasty.
I have Public liability insurance as i have to, incase someone decides to go head first over a tent leg or something.

I worked in a coffee shop very reluctant to use the term 'Fortune teller' as it also implied-one who could see the future, and would avoid the term psychic reading also.
I have a very simple sign -Tarot reading and the price.

The good thing about fairs i think is they are often very busy ,alot of people don't honesty have a very serious attitude towards getting a reading -something fun,different to do on a day out-another thing i experience is being so busy ,this does not give alot of time to analyze how a reading went, and it might be a good idea to just dive in the deep end.

I think put a brave face on it, be positive and enjoy the day!

Rev_Vesta

hi Congrats on the fair... ( I remember my first healthy Body expo......) I ended up doing 35 readings in 2 days......

I learnt by diving in deep..............

I said let's just see what came up in the cards.........

Now I say " I work with Native American tarot, I do a 10 card spread and find the cards deal with issues you have dealt with, are dealing with and where your path is headed if changes are not made.......I type up the reading without speaking- I zone out- then I print it out and we can read it together....." I never mention whether I am pyschic, read intuively etc...........The readings speak for themselves.........I explain I am not a Medium if someone asks about working with those who have passed over....but I do explain about working with vibrations. of the cards .........This is what works for me........

I find the client may suddenly have this "ahah" moment if I mention something from the past they have been dealing with, I find it helps them look at the present with clearer eyes and gives them hope for the furture in creating their own pathway.....

It does take time But I only mention what I do do, not what I don't........it gives the client a chance to decide whether they want a reading......

At a fair do not be discouraged if clients do not seem to sit down at once.. sometimes people like to check out all the readers......but you will get querants that really need your type of readings.......that like your style..... so many readers have different styles....

Good luck enjoy......

Vesta