need a tarot/altar table. any advice?

gorgeousbutterfly

I need a low set altar table so i can do my tarot readings on it. it needs to be set low. and i don't have a lot of money. does anybody know where i can find one for a good price? thank you!

Nevada

Have you checked your local second-hand stores, or haunted some garage sales? That's the first thing I'd do.

Ezili

Wal-Mart might have something suitable? If you end up not finding anything you like in your price range, you could always just improvise a reading space. That's what I do, but I certainly WOULD like a nice little table, actually..

Grizabella

Sometimes I just stack things and put a board across the top. At least, that's what I've done in the past when I didn't have so much "stuff" that works for what I need now. Stack some cinder blocks, put an old board across the top, put on a nice scarf or piece of pretty fabric, and viola! A table. Or nowadays, the plastic storage bins with a board on top and a spread cloth of some kind that hides the building "blocks" works really well, plus you've got storage underneath in the bins.

Recycling places are a good source of things you need. Is there one near you? Or craigslist---I just adore craigslist! You can furnish a whole house for free from there with actually nice stuff if you keep browsing there, and even get free, working pianos if you're musically inclined. That's if you're in the US. I forgot to check where you are. You might have to watch the free listings for a week or so to find what you need, but it's well worth it.

Editing to add: I see you're in California. Lucky you! Down there, craigslist is a goldmine! Have you tried there?

Mateo06

I found a T.V. stand on the side of the road that worked nicely until my Dad found a desk for me to use. What about a chair? are you planning on sitting on the floor?

shadowdancer

you could always consider a cheap and cheerful plastic picnic table from a DIY store, and then find a reasonably priced cloth or sheet to go over the top.

When I do my readings at a local festival I look the dogs..... you know whats.

Yet it is illusion to some extent as I have a plastic table (which cost me £5) and a table cloth covering the whole thing including legs :D

The sheet I use to cover the back of the stall (which would otherwise be corregated cardboard..uurrgghhh) has had plenty of comments and praise. Yet it's just a queen size two toned quilt cover :D

If you think laterally and have a look around you might be surprised which catches your eye which won't cost an arm and a leg in the process.

Davina

Ashtaroot

try IKEA

NorthernTigress

Ashtaroot said:

I don't know about the States, but in Canada IKEA isn't nearly as affordable as it used to be. A victim of its own popularity, I think.

gorgeousbutterfly

Grizabella said:
Sometimes I just stack things and put a board across the top. At least, that's what I've done in the past when I didn't have so much "stuff" that works for what I need now. Stack some cinder blocks, put an old board across the top, put on a nice scarf or piece of pretty fabric, and viola! A table. Or nowadays, the plastic storage bins with a board on top and a spread cloth of some kind that hides the building "blocks" works really well, plus you've got storage underneath in the bins.

Recycling places are a good source of things you need. Is there one near you? Or craigslist---I just adore craigslist! You can furnish a whole house for free from there with actually nice stuff if you keep browsing there, and even get free, working pianos if you're musically inclined. That's if you're in the US. I forgot to check where you are. You might have to watch the free listings for a week or so to find what you need, but it's well worth it.

Editing to add: I see you're in California. Lucky you! Down there, craigslist is a goldmine! Have you tried there?

You are very creative! I made my own altar out of a fan and some books. i must take a photo and post it. wonderful ideas you guys! i did check craigslist and it was suprisingly expensive. well, now that i made my own for free i don't have to worry anymore. thank you thank you! :D

gorgeousbutterfly

NorthernTigress said:
I don't know about the States, but in Canada IKEA isn't nearly as affordable as it used to be. A victim of its own popularity, I think.

Yes, it did get more pricey. also, i checked target and walmart and they are very expensive too, actually the altars at new age stores and wiccian websites are cheapier.