music to read to...(next on NPR)

zan_chan

i wish! hehe

When I read, I seem to like to have some soft music playing in the background. Despite being a ten year ipod user, I somehow only just discovered that iTunes has a really great internet radio function with all types of interesting stations. Especially under the "international" header, I've found some great reading music. Celtic/Irish works well for some decks (not only celtic/pagan decks, btw), jazz standards seem to mesh with other decks-- I've even starting using the traditional Hawaiian station when I'm using reading as a kind of escape.

So I was wondering, what, if any types of music you listen to while reading? Do you change music for certain decks? (If I'm being totally honest, I have my BGSilver on its way, and I'm thinking about what should be on when I'm first getting to know it. Candlelight, black silk reading cloth, and what playing...?)

nisaba

I don't make a point of playing music, but if I did it would probably be music from the Baroque or Rococco periods. Not so much the later periods.

zan_chan

I was considering Bach/Handel/Scarlatti, et al. for reading with BGS but it may seem, as my good friend (ATer) seanchai put it, a little bit too Phantom of the Opera. What is appropriately gothic/baroque without being so much a stereotype?

Barbaras Ahajusts

I did some fun readings with Barbra Streisand singing in the background, once. That was a hoot! I believe I was Granny Gumdrops at the time. :laugh:

Now a days I'm into long hair, but only during the actual reading. Not while laying out the cards.

Barbara

zan_chan

as a gay jewish boy, i love the idea of streisand for reading haha. i do worry that the overwhelming thoughts of my mother, grandmother, and fran drescher that streisand would cause might be distracting to the reading, however.

hermit, can you hear me? hermit, can you see me?

jcwirish

I just recently discovered that listening to soft classical music really improves my learning with the tarot. It was like a new dimension opened up for me and I could suddenly become more immersed in the card images. The music I have used recently are compositions by Bear McCreary. This may sound very strange, but he was the composer for the music to the recently ended Battlestar Gallactica series. Honestly, his music is haunting and beautiful. It is very moving for me. If you want to check it out, you can hear some of it on Youtube under his name. I would recommend these songs, Passacaglia, A Promise to Return, Allegro, Sonatica (a piano composition), Roslin and Adama. That's just a few, but they are wonderful. Don't let the Scifi connection fool you.

Hope this is helpful, Johanna

Barbaras Ahajusts

zan_chan said:
as a gay jewish boy, i love the idea of streisand for reading haha. i do worry that the overwhelming thoughts of my mother, grandmother, and fran drescher that streisand would cause might be distracting to the reading, however.

hermit, can you hear me? hermit, can you see me?
LMAO! I love your comment, Zan Chan! Simply a wonderful sense of humor you have!

:)Barbara

zan_chan

thanks a lot johanna!

sounds like a great idea. ive just pulled up youtube and am listening now. i love gallactica but had never given much thought to the composer before.

i do love the idea of soft classical music too, but as a kid/teen i was a bit of a prodigy on the cello, so have a very, very vast amount of knowledge of classical music which tends to distract me away from the cards a bit.

loving the mccreary as i write this btw!

zan_chan

Barbaras Ahajusts said:
LMAO! I love your comment, Zan Chan! Simply a wonderful sense of humor you have!

:)Barbara

haha thanks, barbara (also my mother's name, btw!) i do amateur stand-up sometimes, and man do i ever wish my audiences agreed with you! hahaha

jcwirish

Isn't McCreary amazing? Listen to 'Worthy of Survival' if you get a chance. The drums are intense, and I really got into my Druid Craft with this song. It seemed to make the people in the deck just come to life.