Personal Readings: how often?

Pugwinkle

How many readings can I do for myself each day? I'm just learning about the Tarot and I'd like to be able to do several each day if that's okay.

Cíntia

Hi!

Personally, I prefer not to do lots of readings in one day, I get tired and forget about focusing more on the details of each reading. But if you feel comfortable doing so, I guess there's no problem at all. I don't think there's a specific number of readings one may do a day.

Something I've learned is that it's not a good idea to do many readings about the same situation, unless you use different spreads in order to gather more information. I also don't like to use the tarot to ask about "irrevelevant" topics, because when I do so, I feel bad and the reading gets blurred.

Personal readings are a great tool to read how to learn the cards, and after sometime, maybe you'll feel like reading to other people too. When your friends and family get to know you're learning to read the cards, they usually ask you to try it, and that's a great way to practice too!

Hope I could help you a bit =)

Le Fanu

Pugwinkle said:
How many readings can I do for myself each day?
twenty to twenty five? })

nisaba

Throwing cards repeatedly is good practice.

But reading too often, especially on one subject-area, leads to the cards giving you garbage because they get the idea you don't respect their answers.

Sometimes I'll take my cards with me out into the world, and sit in a park or a cafe or something, and as a person walks past pull two cards for where they're going and what they are doing, or if two peopel are having coffee together, what their association is about (is it a routine for them, are they old partners, are they starting a relationship, are htey comfortable friends, are they workmates).

It is possible to pull a lot of cards in a day and not "scramble" them into giving you nonsense, but it's best done by being out in the world and asking for quick answers to general questions on random strangers. You'll have no way of confirming your answers, of course, but then, you don't need to. It's about learning how to get the answers in the first place.

Nevada

As many as you want. But as nisaba points out it's not usually good (or helpful in my experience) to read obsessively on any one question. Multiple readings on the same question tend to just get confusing anyway. But reading for yourself on multiple subjects -- great practice! The more readings the better, IMO.

Grizabella

There's a good book by James Riklef called Tarot Tells the Tale that's fun to read and it's fun to try some of the methods he uses. Another good book is titled Back in Time Tarot. Also, there's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card that's just full of good exercises for helping you to learn the cards.

You can watch a favorite TV show, laying down a few cards asking the question "what will happen to the hero?" or other questions you might be able to glean an answer from during the show and then see if you're right as the show progresses.

Read for friends and relatives, too.

You could read for yourself on different questions every day, if you could think of that many different questions, but the key there is "different". Like nisaba points out, if you read on the same topic too many times, you start getting nonsense.

Pugwinkle

Thanks everyone! Yes I plan on reading about different questions, not the same ones over and over.

SunChariot

Pugwinkle said:
How many readings can I do for myself each day? I'm just learning about the Tarot and I'd like to be able to do several each day if that's okay.
A reading is more than just words. It needs a bit of time to sink in. Also it is often advice to be taken, so you need to leave yourself enough time to meditate on the wisdom of the answer and to impliment any changes the reading asks for in your life. Also if you are just learning time to think about what worked well and what did not would I think be important.

As long as you still leave yourself time for all that and don't tire yourself out, any number of times ought to be fine.

Babs

Pugwinkle

Thanks Babs, I'm beginning to understand the need for time to kind of digest what the cards are saying, etc. At this point I'm simply doing a daily draw and then doing a spread (celtic cross today) later on. I'm going to study the cards that came up on that spread and I won't be attempting another reading until I come to some understanding of the cards that came up today.

zan_chan

Le Fanu said:
twenty to twenty five? })

Haha Fanu you beat me to that! A soon as I saw the name of this thread I thought, "7, always 7."

But seriously, I think however much feels appropriate to you. If you have enough questions and you're getting valuable answers, I say go for it.