How does the Tarot work when reading for ourselves and for others.

TarotGirlUK

How does the Tarot work when reading for ourselves and for others.

I’m aware that this question is like asking ‘who is God’?

I have checked the threads for How Does/Why Does/The /Tarot work and I got fatal errors (too many posts?) or nothing very specific.

It has been said that there is nothing wrong is starting new threads that have been covered before.

So…..

Some see the Tarot as a tool that enables us to work out an answer we might not have thought have because the cards help us to think ‘outside the box’ or through drawing out an answer that we already new in our hearts but didn’t want to listen to.

I wondered how this can apply when reading for other people because the above structure doesn’t seem to apply for reading for a another person.

Do the cards really just fall in a place to give us an answer or do we pick out the answer the we and the Querent need?

214red

the opening disclaimer makes me think we battered you, it wasnt meant to batter you, your welcome to post whatever question you wish.

The question your asking is dependant on your belief system, there is no one answer. some beleive its synchronicity, some beleive its god, some beleive its the universe, some people its spirit, some beleive that its intuition, some say its our own subconcious.....

the list is neverending, what resonates with you is how you cards work, if you think its divine inspiration it likely is!

i personally believe its spirit give messages using us as a conduit, thats how i work

TarotGirlUK

214red said:
the opening disclaimer makes me think we battered you, it wasnt meant to batter you, your welcome to post whatever question you wish.

The question your asking is dependant on your belief system, there is no one answer. some beleive its synchronicity, some beleive its god, some beleive its the universe, some people its spirit, some beleive that its intuition, some say its our own subconcious.....

the list is neverending, what resonates with you is how you cards work, if you think its divine inspiration it likely is!

i personally believe its spirit give messages using us as a conduit, thats how i work

I'd love to hear more about the idea's! I have come to notice that it just works (as long as I have the right intent in my mind) I just wondered what theories there could be behind them 'just working'.

I wondered if there was a unified theory. If people could tell me all the ways they think the Tarot works I wanted to see if they called all fit together in some way.

Alta

Again, just as reference, this thread has been running recently:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=126147

I keep telling myself that the cards are random and just open our own pathways to the unconscious knowing, but years of reading and getting the perfect card (often, not invariably :)) for a situation has lead me to re-think that. Can't say as I have any clear answers.

However, when you get a really off the wall insight when looking at a card that generally is said to mean something else, and it proves to be accurate, then I go back to theory one (cards random, our unconscious does it).

Alta

RiccardoLS

I think I came a little closer to find an answer (for me at least) the day I stopped asking "Were the cards correct?" and started asking "Where the cards helpful to you?".

TarotGirlUK

Alta said:
I keep telling myself that the cards are random and just open our own pathways to the unconscious knowing,

Alta

I can understand this and think its a more 'scientific' approach but its hard to apply it to reading for another person. Because we are reading another's card with our own subconscious. I hoped to find a way that might apply the subconscious theory to reading for other people.

gregory

RiccardoLS said:
I think I came a little closer to find an answer (for me at least) the day I stopped asking "Were the cards correct?" and started asking "Where the cards helpful to you?".
Yes indeed. I see readings as offering advice and options rather than telling the future. So it depends on what you are prepared to hear. If you just want to know "does he love me" or "when will I have some money" I don't find them very helpful. If they are asked what you can do to improve your financial situation - then they do tend to come up with answers.

"What is an answer ?" is another topic, of course. Some people expect accuracy. Define THAT, too ? (there's a thread !) There is no accuracy in advice. You can only take from a reading what resonates with you. If you go in with an open mind - something will, even if you aren't sure what it refers to yet. (Oddly enough I have just been in an exchange where this happened to both of us !) If a sitter - especially one who doesn't understand tarot - goes in looking for a specific piece of required information they are likely to be disappointed.

Whe you say "how does tarot work" though - who knows.... I sure as hell don't.

As an aside, as you're new and will no doubt soon hit another known glitch and worry that you killed the forum (been there, thought that :|) - the "too many" fatal error thing is a system thing, not you. Here's a thread in tech support on known forum glitches, which explains it and how to get around it.

SarahRacheal

Hi
My thoughts on this run in line with the synchronicity theory, I've read a lot into Carl Jung’s work on the collective unconscious and find it fits well with my beliefs outside of the tarot world as well as with in it .And lets face it a lot of readings have more than a touch of serendipity dropped in, I was reading for a friend last night and we were talking about this, How a card can mean one thing normally, can be read in a totally different manor one day as it seems right to the reader at that point, yet you might never feel the card to mean the same thing ever again.
As I said just my thoughts.
Sarah

TarotGirlUK

SarahRacheal said:
Hi
My thoughts on this run in line with the synchronicity theory, I've read a lot into Carl Jung’s work on the collective unconscious and find it fits well with my beliefs outside of the tarot world as well as with in it .And lets face it a lot of readings have more than a touch of serendipity dropped in, I was reading for a friend last night and we were talking about this, How a card can mean one thing normally, can be read in a totally different manor one day as it seems right to the reader at that point, yet you might never feel the card to mean the same thing ever again.
As I said just my thoughts.
Sarah

I've read about synchronocity and the law of attraction being players in the art of Tarot. These theories seem to be a bit more scientific if you know what I mean (i've just had 2 lots of de ja vous doing this :S)

gregory

Oh yes, SarahRacheal. IMHO every card means something different every time you draw it. I have pulled 10 Swords for a positive on occasion ! (I don't use generic meanings but I am aware of them and when I saw it I felt a bit sick - but.....)