How does the Tarot work when reading for ourselves and for others.

TarotGirlUK

gregory said:
I have pulled 10 Swords for a positive on occasion ! (I don't - but.....)

Do you find that the card's meaning changes according to the cards near it or literally just by itself?

gregory

I don't look at meanings that way really, so that is a tough one to answer. Any meaning of any card relates to other cards if you use a spread, IMHO; then again sometimes I only use one card.

I read by the glorpish method (which some call intuitive and others scream - and TG - I know you are a bit concerned about causing a spat ;) and referring to reading without using generic meanings as intuitive reading will almost CERTAINLY start one, just so you know !!!! :D I started calling it glorpish when someone used the word glorp in a thread about all this, because I ENTIRELY agree with everyone who says that all tarot readers are reading intuitively even if they use generic meanings.)

ANYWAY - what I mean is that when I drew that card I was aware that it usually means disaster to those who read in that way, so I was concerned. But I look at the image itself. And the image on that card (I don't even recall which deck it was now; very likely the Baroque Bohemian Cats :)) was NOT negative when I studied it; not that day anyway. It likely will indicate catastrophe the next time I see it - who knows.

This is why I find your question so difficult. I'd say "who knows" but it is interesting to speculate, just the same.

SarahRacheal

gregory said:
I ENTIRELY agree with everyone who says that all tarot readers are reading intuitively even if they use generic meanings.)

I think to a point you have to use your intuition even if your using "book" meanings. You need it to apply 78 answers(cards) to the millions of questions you can end up dealing with while reading for people, thing this that is interesting to me is where is the intuition coming from?
Sarah x

TarotGirlUK

gregory said:
I don't look at meanings that way really, so that is a tough one to answer. Any meaning of any card relates to other cards if you use a spread, IMHO; then again sometimes I only use one card.

I read by the glorpish method (which some call intuitive and others scream - and TG - I know you are a bit concerned about causing a spat ;) and referring to reading without using generic meanings as intuitive reading will almost CERTAINLY start one, just so you know !!!! :D I started calling it glorpish when someone used the word glorp in a thread about all this, because I ENTIRELY agree with everyone who says that all tarot readers are reading intuitively even if they use generic meanings.)

ANYWAY - what I mean is that when I drew that card I was aware that it usually means disaster to those who read in that way, so I was concerned. But I look at the image itself. And the image on that card (I don't even recall which deck it was now; very likely the Baroque Bohemian Cats :)) was NOT negative when I studied it; not that day anyway. It likely will indicate catastrophe the next time I see it - who knows.

This is why I find your question so difficult. I'd say "who knows" but it is interesting to speculate, just the same.

I'm not worried about spats, I'm sure I will get told off lol if I leap in the wrong direction, I don't mind ;0)

I have looked at a card at the image says bad but my body gets the feeling that its good, so I then think 'why' does it feel like a good card good and then the reason 'pop' in my head!

I think the the body is a good conduit for picking up energy (the energy of the universe that connects everything up), my body gives me a feeling and I try and match that feeling with the reason why. It seems to work. So even though, like you say, the card pic says 'bad' you get the feeling its not and then realise why.

I think (just me thinking :) that you if 'put out' the right intent for a reading then we are linking to and attracting the answer we need. We link up to the correct energy network that connects us all then and our body picks up the feelings that come back, and we connect them with thought. I hope that made sense.

A bit like going to see a friend in person, asking them something, and coming home, without having to leave your chair lol !

gregory

SarahRacheal said:
I think to a point you have to use your intuition even if your using "book" meanings. You need it to apply 78 answers(cards) to the millions of questions you can end up dealing with while reading for people, thing this that is interesting to me is where is the intuition coming from?
Sarah x
EXACTLY !!!!

But where - no idea..... I still want to know which bit of us (physically) is US ! Scientists seem to think they can in the end isolate some bit of brain and that will be where our personality, our "soul" if you like, is.

I DON'T THINK SO - said in (who the hell is it says that on TV with such panache ? said THAT way !!!)

TG - what I meant was that if you think the ethical question thread was - er - lively - you ain't seen nothing. It won't be you "being told off", it will just get REALLY REALLY HOT.... }) I forget where that last one on the topic was..... but they tend to get so hot they get locked.....

SarahRacheal

Gregory you’re a bad person, crossing your fingers for a locked thread lol (you'll have to wait for the rest of the world to wake up first!)
I do however agree what when I've talked about this before, not in AT, with friends, everyone has their own thoughts and people feel very strongly about them! God, angels, guides, fate, application of free will, intuition etc have all been argued in my sitting room!
As to where we are in our selves....well...if someone has brain surgery it is possible that they wake up with a different personality. Family and friends would say they've changed. Also we still don't know what a lot of that grey gunk in our skulls is for, so to me it's an option. My dad on the other hand strongly thinks we've been "made" and our "program/soul" is stored in our brain so to him that’s it, he knows his answer.
Sarah x

gregory

[OT - I don't want a locked thread ! I just meant that this is a topic that brings up such strong feelings that things can get nasty, and people who aren't used to AT can sometimes drop themselves right in it without meaning to. I know I did......]

Back on topic - this all fascinates me. How can it work when so many of us do it all so differently ?

I do NOT believe that "who we are" is physical - that's why I don't believe they will EVER find it, and that is the part of us I think carries on after we die; the REAL us. The changes after brain surgery - I have read of these; I suspect it is just different aspects being tapped into when things are shifted or removed. I know strokes can change personalities too - my father became really FOUL after a series of TIAs.... Maybe when these things happen we can't USE bits of ourselves that used to put across our inner selves ? (Maybe that was what made him so vile; that he wasn't able to be who he used to be and it upset him....)

(I think this IS on topic, but mods please feel free to say otherwise.... Our brains/personalities/inner selves must bring something to how our readings pan out, I think...)

TarotGirlUK

gregory said:
[OT - I don't want a locked thread ! I just meant that this is a topic that brings up such strong feelings that things can get nasty, and people who aren't used to AT can sometimes drop themselves right in it without meaning to. I know I did......]

Back on topic - this all fascinates me. How can it work when so many of us do it all so differently ?

I do NOT believe that "who we are" is physical - that's why I don't believe they will EVER find it, and that is the part of us I think carries on after we die; the REAL us. The changes after brain surgery - I have read of these; I suspect it is just different aspects being tapped into when things are shifted or removed. I know strokes can change personalities too - my father became really FOUL after a series of TIAs.... Maybe when these things happen we can't USE bits of ourselves that used to put across our inner selves ? (Maybe that was what made him so vile; that he wasn't able to be who he used to be and it upset him....)

(I think this IS on topic, but mods please feel free to say otherwise.... Our brains/personalities/inner selves must bring something to how our readings pan out, I think...)

I am not trying to go off topic but I think what I am trying to say below is an expansion on what Gregory was just saying :S

I lost my 20 yr old healthy brother Sam, suddenly and I can only think that he lives on somewhere else. In one aspect I know that I am trying to fool myself into thinking I have him when in reality, I do not anymore.

Anyway I am frequented my Jehovahs Witnesses, I like them, they have a lot to teach but they have a belief and they gonna stick to it! fair play.

But when I told them about my brother being somewhere else they flatly said that he wasn't, he was dead and gone and only God could bring him back. "Fine" I said "but how is he going to do that?". "DNA" they said "God will bring him back through DNA".

Hmmm wont DNA bring back Sam's body but not 'the' Sam and his personality? All the memories that Sam created for himself and others, that made Sam who is was, can't be stored in DNA, (to my mind). DNA is strictly what makes the body that you own. So I am trying to say that; (I think) personality we develop as we go through life but the soul is shaped through our life experiences. Its a bit like what they call 'the cloud' on Google accounts, where you store everything on-line 'in the cloud' to down later! the soul is the same, it stores all our life experiences and memoires that shape us in the energy atmosphere ready to be picked up later by God or whoever.

I think that we create a timeline, a memory, if you will, in the energy universe that is 'who we are' and its this that anchors us and links us all together.

gregory

Yes - I can relate to that. Sam (and my father) still exist - just not corporeally, like. And I think that whatever my father is now (I can't speak for Sam !) is likely more like what he used to be before he got ill.

I thought JWs believed in heaven ?

I still don't know what we tap into with reading though....pity as I must go and do one.... :)

TarotGirlUK

gregory said:
I thought JWs believed in heaven ?
)

They do on one hand and don't on another, as far as I can see, bless them.