Cards in Carnivàle

allecto

It's a few years old now, but I've just started re-watching the HBO series Carnivàle on DVD. I was wondering if anyone knows - are the cards that feature in the opening titles from a real deck or were they custom-made for the show? They've got this great Renaissance art-work on them.
The reader in the series, Sofie, uses a regular RWS. It's a great series, and I think a pretty good treatment of Tarot.

Briar Rose

What is the series about? I knew it was on, but I never watched it.

allecto

Thanks Grigori, I thought they might have been made for the show although I was kind of hoping that I could get a deck as they look really cool (not sure about the moon being a monster). Very disappointing that we're not going to get another series of this.

Briar-Rose, it's a series set in the dust-bowl in 30s America. The central story concerns a messiah figure, Ben, and an anti-christ figure, an evangelical preacher. Ben is attached to a traveling carnival, which includes Sofie the card-reader (with her anachronistic cards hehe). Beautifully produced, really dense imagery, both biblical and tarot/ magical, a really complex piece of work. I'd recommend it some wet weekend!

gregory

There is a Carnivàle deck made under the auspices of HBO, bearing the title of the show. IT is JUST AWFUL. You don't want it. Trust me; I have it and - well, just DON'T. I never saw the show, but I am assured that the deck has nothing to do with it except that it gets money for HBO. It's shown on Tarotgarden, where it says:

This deck was originally created for the HBO show “Carnivàle” by a design studio that neither understood Tarot or the show, and thus successfully produced a deck that reflected neither.

TRUE ! Except that it never featured on screen.

Lela

Big fan of Carnivale here... what a fantastic show it was! Too bad those a**hats at HBO ended it only after 2 seasons, what were they thinking?? The opening title sequence was amazing, loved the way it took you into the cards. It's a shame they were created only for the title sequence though, they were some really nice looking cards. In case any one is interested, you can see a video of the title sequence here.

Lela

gregory said:
There is a Carnivàle deck made under the auspices of HBO, bearing the title of the show. IT is JUST AWFUL. You don't want it. Trust me; I have it and - well, just DON'T. I never saw the show, but I am assured that the deck has nothing to do with it except that it gets money for HBO.

Never knew that a deck was associated with the show, so I had to go look, and you weren't kidding, those are some fugly cards! They're not even remotely consistent with the basic art direction of the show.