Is it time to break up?

214red

Is it time you took time out from your relationship with tarot? Are you unsure, here are some of the signs:

-if you didn’t pull a daily card, would you dread what the day had instore?

-If you don’t have a deck with you, you feel like you have lost a limb, in extreme cases it would cause panic to set in?

-If you changing handbags, is the first thing you put in the new bag your cards?

-Do you pull a card discreetly to find out what strangers thought about you, i.e. the cute barista who served your latte

-Have you pulled so many cards in different spreads about a situation that your no longer sure which way is up?

-Have you given someone a nickname related to a card, for example 'Mr Emperor' or 'Ms Queen of Wands' now represents the cute person at work because that card always comes up in the many readings you do about them?

-Are you unable to make a decision with pulling a card?

Now is the time to take break, time to step away, PUT THOSE CARDS DOWN!! Now this seems harsh, but like every relationship sometimes you need a bit of time to re-evaluate you relationship. Sometimes you need to make sure that your heading towards the same goals, that your not on different paths. How many times in a relationship have you needed to be away from someone before you realised how much you take them for granted, or that you have become dependant on them?

I do believe your relationship with tarot is like every other relationship, it needs maintenance, it also needs space to grow. We sometimes don’t take the time to look at how we use tarot, and were its leading us, is it still leading us on the right path, or have we been dazzled with bright lights that have distracted us. Do we still have our moral compass, is it still working, are we still looking at it?

Alta

Except for the ones about being unable to make a decision without pulling a card & being afraid to face the day without a card, I cannot see any problems with the rest. They are marks of a true tarotista who has incorporated this wonderful device into their lives. For me the unexamined life is a shallow one and tarot opens a door for me.

I know that you posted a while back that you were taking a break from tarot and veering over into a stronger emphasis on mediumistic interests. Maybe you feel this as part of your desire to change areas but that doesn't make it true all round for everyone. A person carries their philosophy wherever they go, in whatever form it takes. My thoughts, anyway.

Alta

Milfoil

Like any relationship, some are deeper than others.

I read many of those 'signs' listed above and replaced 'tarot' with the name of my husband. In almost every case I would be classed as too close and needing to take a break from him (which isn't going to happen I am glad to say :) ) so I'm not sure you can assert over dependance upon a relationship to anything unless it starts to inhibit you (was that what you were getting at 214red?). Where a relationship to tarot is supportive even if it is all encompassing, then I don't see a problem any more than a scientist who works to the exclusion of all else or a nun like Mother Teresa who had a singular, purpose in life.

If the above list were true, it really would be an issue for those who make a living from Tarot and eat, breathe, sleep tarot like Umbrae, Ric, JMD etc.

214red

i dont do tarot much now, and yes i do more mediumship things now but thats just my spiritual development. I posted because i think when we all start its kind of like falling in love, your inseperable etc, but when they honeymoon is over you get into a more settled relationship.

the post is lighthearted, but it is also asking a serious question, its asking if you do need time out from it. I am serious about tarot even if i dont use it very often now, its still a passion.

sometimes we just need to step away from the cards, however much of a tarotist you are. I have to disagree with you on your point that you see the comments i made in the original post okay, serious tarotist or not i do think they are signs that perhaps its too bigger part of your life. Same goes for mediumship, and all other things like that

214red

Milfoil said:
Like any relationship, some are deeper than others.

I read many of those 'signs' listed above and replaced 'tarot' with the name of my husband. In almost every case I would be classed as too close and needing to take a break from him (which isn't going to happen I am glad to say :) ) so I'm not sure you can assert over dependance upon a relationship to anything unless it starts to inhibit you (was that what you were getting at 214red?). Where a relationship to tarot is supportive even if it is all encompassing, then I don't see a problem any more than a scientist who works to the exclusion of all else or a nun like Mother Teresa who had a singular, purpose in life.

If the above list were true, it really would be an issue for those who make a living from Tarot and eat, breathe, sleep tarot like Umbrae, Ric, JMD etc.

i agree with the point that anything that enslaves you rather then empowers you needs to be reassessed. i doubt Umbrae eats/sleeps tarot, its a passion and a job but i think he has lots of other interests, because thats how you are as a balanced person. i personally beleive in balance, relationship and life wise.
I think anything that becomes co-dependant is dangerous, relationships of all kind can, if you cant cope/function without that person/thing then isnt that worrying, i am not saying that its nicer to have that thing/person around

I bet when your away from your husband you appriciate the time you have with him more (not saying that you dont anyways), the little things.

RexMalaki

214red said:
i agree with the point that anything that enslaves you rather then empowers you needs to be reassessed. i doubt Umbrae eats/sleeps tarot, its a passion and a job but i think he has lots of other interests, because thats how you are as a balanced person. i personally beleive in balance, relationship and life wise.
I think anything that becomes co-dependant is dangerous, relationships of all kind can, if you cant cope/function without that person/thing then isnt that worrying, i am not saying that its nicer to have that thing/person around

I agree with this...too much of a good thing can be harmful too.

Milfoil

214red said:

I bet when your away from your husband you appriciate the time you have with him more (not saying that you dont anyways), the little things.

Hmm, difficult one. Most people who are deeply in love are co-dependant, it comes with the territory and when one dies, it is difficult to cope/function without them for a time. I don't find that worrying but part of being truly in love.

Perhaps it is a distinction between deeper relationships such as human love and that of an activity such as tarot???

DaughterOfDanu

214red said:
-If you don’t have a deck with you, you feel like you have lost a limb, in extreme cases it would cause panic to set in?
I always like to have a deck with me. If anything its a good way to keep my hands busy when I'm nervous or entertain me when I'm bored.

-If you changing handbags, is the first thing you put in the new bag your cards?
Okay. I'm guilty of this. I'm actually looking for a new purse that will allow me to store more than one deck comfortably.

-Do you pull a card discreetly to find out what strangers thought about you, i.e. the cute barista who served your latte
Hm, I'll have to remember to try that one out. Sounds like fun.

-Have you pulled so many cards in different spreads about a situation that your no longer sure which way is up?
Only once or twice.

All in all, I think don't see all these signs as being necessarily negative. I see them as being signs of a tarot lover. Sure when it distracts from bill paying, family, friends, and all healthy lifestyles then I see it as an issue.

GypsyDreams

-if you didn’t pull a daily card, would you dread what the day had instore?

--I never pull daily cards out, even at the beginning of my journey.

-If you don’t have a deck with you, you feel like you have lost a limb, in extreme cases it would cause panic to set in? lol...-- I like to have my fav deck near me at all times.

-If you changing handbags, is the first thing you put in the new bag your cards? I don't take the deck out with me unless I need them to read for someone.

-Do you pull a card discreetly to find out what strangers thought about you, i.e. the cute barista who served your latte.-- Definitely not.

-- at the start of my relationship with Tarot YES definitely lol.. not any-more though.

-Have you given someone a nickname related to a card, for example 'Mr Emperor' or 'Ms Queen of Wands' now represents the cute person at work because that card always comes up in the many readings you do about them?

--Never

-Are you unable to make a decision with pulling a card? No, I never consult the cards in that way. I hardly ever read for myself as it is.

jcwirish

I think my problem is just the opposite. I'm still in love with the tarot, but I hardly ever seem to have enough time for it. I yearn for more understanding and more time with the cards, but with a 5 year old, my priorities are somewhere else.

I feel like all I can do right now is give tarot the time I can, and not worry about how long it takes me to develop my skills to the level I want. I'm an impatient person, and I always have this tug to get the cards out, but I have to remind myself that this is a life long journey. One day I'll have a lot more time to give the cards, but then I'll be missing my 5 year old, lol! Oh, I can't win. :D