Best way to start learning

koolchick

Ok I've had tarot cards a while but found them confusing so not bothered with them for a while but I really would like to learn how to read them. from what I've read the best way is to look at each card and write down what you see in the card what it means to you. Is this a good way to start? What is next thing to do? small spreads or something else? Also I have 2 decks the Johnathan Dee Tin of tarot the real deck and the Rider Waite deck that I printed off computer and coloured myself. Will the deck I coloured still work for readings? Also will both of the same card mean same/similar things in a reading like if the Fool is in place 2 in a reading will it mean the same thing which ever deck I use?

Lastly how long did it take you to get a basic understanding of reading tarot?

Golden Moon

koolchick said:
Ok I've had tarot cards a while but found them confusing so not bothered with them for a while but I really would like to learn how to read them. from what I've read the best way is to look at each card and write down what you see in the card what it means to you. Is this a good way to start? What is next thing to do? small spreads or something else? Also I have 2 decks the Johnathan Dee Tin of tarot the real deck and the Rider Waite deck that I printed off computer and coloured myself. Will the deck I coloured still work for readings? Also will both of the same card mean same/similar things in a reading like if the Fool is in place 2 in a reading will it mean the same thing which ever deck I use?

Yes, the best way to start is to look at the cards and write what you think and feel they mean to you. Look at the characters in the cards and listen to what they have to say to you. Start of with one at a time. Then after you have write down what the cards mean to you, get a tarot book, read through it and check if your meanings are similar to those written in the tarot book.

I remember when I would study each card on and off. I always got the meanings from books and web pages and add my on interpretations. I can't explain how I suddenly knew what each card meant. but it was a matter of a short time period.

NamasteIndia

Well i am into tarot from last 3-4 years this question as often confused me also.
There are some readers who are excellent and some very average and some disgusting.

I think a lot of practice makes a better reader. Read as many books as possible, read maximum card meanings, do frequent readings for self so as to know how accurate you are.

rota

-- and then do plenty of practice readings for friends. Practice, practice! It's work, sure...but it's fun work.

Amanda

I am a pretty impatient person. I started by doing small spreads, books in hand- reading through until something "felt" right and "felt" connected to the card and the cards surrounding it. Weaving a small story, right off the bat. It wasn't until later I started to really consider the images, and they spoke loud and clear once I got the hang of the verbage associated with the cards.

Then, I just set up free shop on myspace. Told one and all to come-a-calling for their free readings, and just read the hell out of anyone that was interested in letting me. :)

koolchick

Yes I'm also impatient which is why I tried to rush learning tarot just did spreads and looked up card meanings in books but they never made sence for the position or I could never work out what the cards meant for the position they were in. So now I've decided there is no quick way.

Amanda

koolchick said:
Yes I'm also impatient which is why I tried to rush learning tarot just did spreads and looked up card meanings in books but they never made sence for the position or I could never work out what the cards meant for the position they were in. So now I've decided there is no quick way.

LOL - No probably not. The way I did it is probably the quickest way.... but after 8 years, I can honestly say, I'll still figure out something new somewhere. And I imagine that will never really stop. Always something to learn with tarot, I think.

mza

I would also say use one main deck until you've mastered the meanings. Choose a main spread and note your readings in a tarot journal . Use it often and refer to it after sometime to check if the predictions were close. Helps further define card meanings to you personally as the tarot gradually teaches you what it meant by a certain card having appeared in a position to represent a particular past event. Hope that makes sense. Also read other people's interpretations of cards here- very helpful. Too many decks and spreads in the first few months would have confuse me though . I'm still learning too and i can't believe i've stuck to it so long. I usually have the attention span of a fly. Maybe now i can check out another deck. I want colour, drama, exquisite art and detail. Transport me to another place! Sorry , i've gone off on a tangent.

Jenlah R.

koolchick said:

my first deck was the Manga tarot by Selina lin and I got it in october of 2006 and I wasn't really clear on card readings at all... I tried it out a few times and was told by many what i should and should not do with the cards really, I just used the celtic cross and used my lwb to guide me... I tried looking at the cards and sensing them and i honestly was getting bored with the them... after a couple of years I recieved another deck of cards as a gift and then i just kept them side by side and let them gather dust. I had found my fiance and couldn't think that there would possibly be anything i needed from the tarot... then one day i panicked, I couldn't find them anywhere and thought I had lost them for good... I felt odd like a piece of me was missing, then when I found them I started right back up with them like i had never put them away and now i have like 7 decks... (sorry got carried off)

but to answer one of your ?'s about your hand colored cards, yes they will read just fine in fact they may be more linked to you b/c you colored them.
I made my own deck of tarot cards last year there are four copies, I and 3 of my closest friends have them and they tell me they are very spot on... I love my handmade cards and favor them b/c they are linked to me :D

BodhiSeed

koolchick said:

The book I wish I had when I started was "21 Ways" by Mary Greer; it helps you learn the cards, but also encourages you (through exercises) to find your own personal meanings as well. As others have said, use a tarot journal and write down your readings and any thoughts (random) that you have about cards. Review these later to see what happened. And practice - on friends, here on AT, or even for your pets!
The deck you printed out sounds perfect for readings; coloring a deck really helps you notice details that might have been overlooked otherwise. I would also stick to three to five card spreads; look under the Spreads section here on the forum, and you'll find a treasure-trove there to use!
As most folks here will tell you, no matter how long I've been reading tarot, I still think of myself as a student with plenty more to learn. Good luck and have fun!